anyone ditch their gs2 because of poor sprint coverage?

myalover

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm with you. I've been on Sprint and reasonably happy for the last 3 years. Recently I got a Verizon phone for work and that allowed me to compare coverage everywhere I go. Verizon has better signal pretty much everywhere in my area, and Sprint 3G vs Verizon 3G is a joke (Verizon is like double even with a weak signal).

anon(680971)

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I live outside Detroit and we don't have Sprint 4G here. Still my signal on my phone can fluctuate here or there all the time. Being I have issues even on Wifi I take it an issue with the phone not the service as my fellow Sprint friends have no issues on older phones.

crumbkake

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I get decent signal around UT. To be honest my 3G has taken a serious speed dive since Sprint picked up the iphone, but maybe I am imaging it.

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch

howiesf

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
You are Not imagining it. I live in San Francisco and I tell ya, overall Sprint's 3G went from "decent" to sucky all around the bay. Besides that , I ave been with Sprint for 16 yrs and I have never had such an amazing device that has so many issues with the signal LOS, WiFi- weakest ever, and of course GPS is hosed. I tell everyone this: "fight for your rights!" I am doing that now with Sprint. Never, ever pay an ETF if they change the charges on your account by even a few pennies. You CAN get out of it if Sprint/Samsung is unwilling to help. I am hoping for the best (on my 2nd) but who knows what will happen. I would gladly get Verizon except that their prices are INSANELY high and with California taxes 'm looking at a double-bill.

I get decent signal around UT. To be honest my 3G has taken a serious speed dive since Sprint picked up the iphone, but maybe I am imaging it.

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch

Hawaiian_Geek

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I get crappy reception in my office bldg. but my work crappy flip samsung phone from verizon never has issues with connecting. Got my SGII back in Dec. so I got a long way until I can get out of contract with Sprint. I gotta walk outside to my work parking garage to make a call or to text. Verizon does have the best connection but I can't afford their high robbery rates.

silx29#AC

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
sprint's crappy 4G is just fine by me. It's enough for me to watch YouTube videos in high quality and stream Netflix, and download apps when I need to so I don't have anything to complain about. I guess if you don't have sprint's 4G coverage in your area that's a different story.

kina bina

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I would rather pay a higher price just to get coverage. And it's official. My 4g coverage in areas where it was decent has now zero coverage. I'm always on the go, most people are these days, so getting coverage is a reaaalllyyy important part of LIFE!

hawaiijedi

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm really beyond frustrated with Sprints terrible subpar data speeds in Honolulu! It's ridiculous and I never can use 4G and the 3g speeds are a joke. I barely get over 400kbs and it's pathetic. It's a shame because the phone is awesome and I love the camera so much. Don't know what to do.....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

logicalform

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking about it. Just got an epic touch after having the nexus s (whose reception was also subpar) so I'm not sure if it's just a samsung problem or if Sprint's network has really gotten this bad (at least in Santa Cruz, CA) but I consistently get around 250kbps on the speed test app. I very rarely see spikes up to around 450, but that's the absolute max. Then I come here and see people complaining about getting 7-800 and I feel really bad lol. To top it off, we STILL don't have wimax here and sprint is now switching to LTE, effectively making this phone useless. I've stayed for the unlimited data mostly but now I don't know.

kina bina

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking about it. Just got an epic touch after having the nexus s (whose reception was also subpar) so I'm not sure if it's just a samsung problem or if Sprint's network has really gotten this bad (at least in Santa Cruz, CA) but I consistently get around 250kbps on the speed test app. I very rarely see spikes up to around 450, but that's the absolute max. Then I come here and see people complaining about getting 7-800 and I feel really bad lol. To top it off, we STILL don't have wimax here and sprint is now switching to LTE, effectively making this phone useless. I've stayed for the unlimited data mostly but now I don't know.

When is Sprint switching to LTE? Damn, I made a mistake with signing another 2 yr contract with Sprint :/

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Not leaving (yet), but watching my options, which is why I paid full price for my GS2 in October in order to have flexibility to re-up or jump in June when I'm out of contract. If anything, I may just go month to month if I can keep buying phones for five bills and not get chained down.

In Detroit, they never really got 4G up outside of the Wayne State/New Center areas and even there is was sketchy and unofficial. Last weekend I was in downtown Royal Oak and my speeds were breathtakingly fast. I drove a mile away, went into a diner and sat by the window and had 1 bar, if that. Bars have no relation to data speeds and I'm getting tired of my girlfriend staring at me while I wait a minute for a page to load before she says, "I thought that phone was supposed to be fast."

OTOH, Verizon are pure evil, so our choices are fast, expensive and evil or not too evil and a bargain, but craptastic data speeds.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
When is Sprint switching to LTE? Damn, I made a mistake with signing another 2 yr contract with Sprint :/
I don't think you made a mistake. It's going to be awhile before its up and running and wimax will be supported. I have to think that they will have incentives to buy an lte phone before a contract is up.

hawaiijedi

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Here in Honolulu, Hawaii it really is bad.... I hope that even just the 3 g speeds will be improved I would be happy even with just that alone. Sprint is really frustrating me.

hawaiijedi

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Just an update for anyone that cares.... talked to sprint support and even talked to a supervisor about my issues with slow 3g and non existent 4G. They told me 4G connectivity is not guaranteed and that there is nothing wrong with the network here in Hawaii. They said that they would open a ticket and I should buy an airrave. Utter bull nonsense! Such a shame because I love this phone so much. I'm gonna price Verizon already I am tapping out!

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Just an update for anyone that cares.... talked to sprint support and even talked to a supervisor about my issues with slow 3g and non existent 4G. They told me 4G connectivity is not guaranteed and that there is nothing wrong with the network here in Hawaii. They said that they would open a ticket and I should buy an airrave. Utter bull nonsense! Such a shame because I love this phone so much. I'm gonna price Verizon already I am tapping out!

If you continue to complain they usually give in and give you the airrave. Or at least forum post have lead me to believe this is the case.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

Please keep us posted. I'm definitely interested in what you decide especially if you go back to verizon. I'm sticking with the gsII for now but maybe I'll give verizon a call to see what they can do for me. Probably not much considering after 16 years all they were willing to do was give me a new non 4g phone for free with a new 2 year contract after an update hosed my droid incredible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae