What are you doing?

Tonay

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious to find out what you are doing with the s2 to have great battery life? I'm not rooted(yet) but I'm just testing out the battery life on it and I just want tips on how to make battery last longer on this phone.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious to find out what you are doing with the s2 to have great battery life? I'm not rooted(yet) but I'm just testing out the battery life on it and I just want tips on how to make battery last longer on this phone.

The BIGGEST difference in battery is going to be toggling 3g data. That means being on wifi when you can and turning of data or turning off all data if you aren't using it. If you want a program to do it automatically juice defender works nice. If you can't live without data you can just adjust settings in each specific app to not poll data so frequently.

Other than that, lowering your brightness is probably next.

After those two it is just minor tweaks like using inverted apps(black instead of white). Maybe adjusting user habits or tweaking each apps settings.

I used to under-clock but honestly it never really made that much of a difference and was not worth the sacrifice in stability. At the end of the day I would save maybe 3-5%, which honestly isn't enough.

The thing to remember isn't how long the phone can stay on for because anyone can stick there phone in airplane mode and throw it in a closet, the phone will last 48hrs+. The key to knowing your improving battery life is your screen on time. I am usually satisfied with around 4 hrs. This phone gets 3+ hours out of the box which is awesome. I have seen some xda guys with around 6hrs but I have NO idea how that is possible. They are running everything inverted, plus under-clocking, on wifi or even no data, and probably just doing something simple as making calls.

**EDIT: just noticed you had an EVO, it is probably the exact same things you did with that phone.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I have seen some xda guys with around 6hrs but I have NO idea how that is possible. They are running everything inverted, plus under-clocking, on wifi or even no data, and probably just doing something simple as making calls.

I think you're in the ballpark on how. Very low brightness, all dark backgrounds including inverted apps, wifi only, but probably not calls. Texts and using Tapatalk or XDA App all day would be my assumption. I've been able to hit 5 hours of screen on time, but I never need that much. I'm lucky to hit 2 hours of screen time on a normal day of my use, but it's nice to know what the device is capable of.

Undervolting and clocking does help from my experience, but it's more of a sum of all parts thing. By itself, the benefit is relatively small. But included with all the other battery saving techniques, it can add up to some huge savings over time.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I think you're in the ballpark on how. Very low brightness, all dark backgrounds including inverted apps, wifi only, but probably not calls. Texts and using Tapatalk or XDA App all day would be my assumption. I've been able to hit 5 hours of screen on time, but I never need that much. I'm lucky to hit 2 hours of screen time on a normal day of my use, but it's nice to know what the device is capable of.

Undervolting and clocking does help from my experience, but it's more of a sum of all parts thing. By itself, the benefit is relatively small. But included with all the other battery saving techniques, it can add up to some huge savings over time.

I rarely have more than 2 hours of screen on time also which is why I stopped worrying about conserving the battery on this phone. Although, the only time I see huge battery drainage is when I am in a low signal area(both data and cell) then this phone gulps the battery. But I think that is just a hardware issue on all Samsung phones where there not optimized for that situation.

Tonay

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Well right now I have 3 hours of screen on and only have 20% left. I've messed the brightness and background data. My cousin told me today that he got 3hours of screen on with 50% left so I wanna figure out what he is doing.

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Well right now I have 3 hours of screen on and only have 20% left. I've messed the brightness and background data. My cousin told me today that he got 3hours of screen on with 50% left so I wanna figure out what he is doing.

Wow! Is he stock? Shoot, you might what to ask him then let us know.

Sn1per 117

Flashaholic
Jan 29, 2012
Visit site

I'm now up to 3 hours and 20 minutes of screen on time and I'm at 40%

Edit: I'm at 5% now and have 5 hours of screen on time. My phone's completely stock.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sn1per 117

Flashaholic
Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
The BIGGEST difference in battery is going to be toggling 3g data. That means being on wifi when you can and turning of data or turning off all data if you aren't using it. If you want a program to do it automatically juice defender works nice. If you can't live without data you can just adjust settings in each specific app to not poll data so frequently.

Other than that, lowering your brightness is probably next.

After those two it is just minor tweaks like using inverted apps(black instead of white). Maybe adjusting user habits or tweaking each apps settings.

I used to under-clock but honestly it never really made that much of a difference and was not worth the sacrifice in stability. At the end of the day I would save maybe 3-5%, which honestly isn't enough.

The thing to remember isn't how long the phone can stay on for because anyone can stick there phone in airplane mode and throw it in a closet, the phone will last 48hrs+. The key to knowing your improving battery life is your screen on time. I am usually satisfied with around 4 hrs. This phone gets 3+ hours out of the box which is awesome. I have seen some xda guys with around 6hrs but I have NO idea how that is possible. They are running everything inverted, plus under-clocking, on wifi or even no data, and probably just doing something simple as making calls.

**EDIT: just noticed you had an EVO, it is probably the exact same things you did with that phone.
The 6 hours doesn't seem too crazy when your phone's rooted so you can change more settings around.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk