GPS works, finally!

boogaloo1

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if this is just a fluke. I reactivated my old Pre. Later today I reactivated my S2(Sprint) and now my GPS locks in 5 seconds or so.

I can pick up 7 satellites and my location is spot on. I'm guessing it must have reset my data profile which then forced my GPS to lock?

I'm just lucky that it now works.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

boogaloo1

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
@Mike 1978.

I could never get a lock, all I got was an approximate range on Gmaps. Forget about FourSquare, it wasn't even close. I tried everything from turning airplane mode on/off, turning the device off and popping out the battery, factory reset and even went to a Sprint store to have it looked at. The Sprint Tech told me it was a known issue, but couldn't give me an ETA on a fix. I almost gave up but decided it give it one more chance.

Now when I go to Gmaps, it is spot on. I do notice it takes a little while for FourSquare to catch up to my new location but I can live with that. I tried Google Nav and got it to work for the first time. I feel like I have a complete device now.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I've found a common problem with GPS and my Sprint phones is that launching a GPS app before turning on your GPS radio causes problems. When I turn on the GPS radio first and then launch the app I usually never have a problem with lock.

This was true with both my Palm Pre and Pre 2 as well as my current ET4G.

Reactions: Thieveryshoe

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
While walking yesterday and using MyTracks, the GPS pooped the bed and no amount of resetting with GPS Status or toggling it off and on would get it working; I had to reboot to get it back. This used to happen more before the EL29 update, but it's been fairly well-behaved since then. However, Foursquare is getting worse and worse, either believing I'm at work or thinking I'm in the area of my last stop while running errands. GMaps shows me right on the money, so it's not a matter of GPS lock as much as 4S (and occasionally Gas Buddy) being stupid.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Try an app called GPS Test.
Settings in that app allows you to Clear AGPS Data, then re-download AGPS data.
I have found this with a Profile and PRL update have fixed my issues with GPS.

I also went to EL27 Modem and had better data speeds.

Testing FC07 modem now..

acadialover

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this is just a fluke. I reactivated my old Pre. Later today I reactivated my S2(Sprint) and now my GPS locks in 5 seconds or so.

I can pick up 7 satellites and my location is spot on. I'm guessing it must have reset my data profile which then forced my GPS to lock?

I'm just lucky that it now works.

what do you mean reactivate ..... and how do you know you are locked into 7 satellites ?
( still trying to learn my android )
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
and how do you know you are locked into 7 satellites ?
( still trying to learn my android )

acadialover - GPS Essentials will give you this info. I'm sure there are many others.

tonylmiller

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been 2000 miles from home for 2 weeks now, and using my nav heavily the whole time. My gps has worked flawlessly. if it doesnt work for you, I would recommend returning the phone.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I had my phone since it came out (Sept I think) and the GPS has consistently sucked. It works sometimes, but not always. Locks are sometimes very slow if at all. It didn't work without a network (overseas).

I don't consider having to reboot your phone when you are lost somewhere to try and get the GPS to work "normal".

I got a new phone yesterday. It still is slow to lock sometimes and sometimes won't lock at all. I need to use it more, but unfortunately, I don't consider this fixed.

I'll add that Sprint charge me a $40 diagnostic fee before replacing the phone. I complained saying I know what is wrong, but they wouldn't budge.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia