1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default GPS works, finally!

Not sure if this is just a fluke. I reactivated my old Pre. Later today I reactivated my S2(Sprint) and now my GPS locks in 5 seconds or so.

I can pick up 7 satellites and my location is spot on. I'm guessing it must have reset my data profile which then forced my GPS to lock?

I'm just lucky that it now works.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    786 Global Posts

Default Re: GPS works, finally!

all I ever had to do after a failed GPS lock is restart my phone. Glad you got yours working though.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

@Mike 1978.

I could never get a lock, all I got was an approximate range on Gmaps. Forget about FourSquare, it wasn't even close. I tried everything from turning airplane mode on/off, turning the device off and popping out the battery, factory reset and even went to a Sprint store to have it looked at. The Sprint Tech told me it was a known issue, but couldn't give me an ETA on a fix. I almost gave up but decided it give it one more chance.

Now when I go to Gmaps, it is spot on. I do notice it takes a little while for FourSquare to catch up to my new location but I can live with that. I tried Google Nav and got it to work for the first time. I feel like I have a complete device now.
    Android4life

I don't really have problems with my gmaps. Foursquare is still garbage atm though.

Global Posts
    2,201 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I've found a common problem with GPS and my Sprint phones is that launching a GPS app before turning on your GPS radio causes problems. When I turn on the GPS radio first and then launch the app I usually never have a problem with lock.

This was true with both my Palm Pre and Pre 2 as well as my current ET4G.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

While walking yesterday and using MyTracks, the GPS pooped the bed and no amount of resetting with GPS Status or toggling it off and on would get it working; I had to reboot to get it back. This used to happen more before the EL29 update, but it's been fairly well-behaved since then. However, Foursquare is getting worse and worse, either believing I'm at work or thinking I'm in the area of my last stop while running errands. GMaps shows me right on the money, so it's not a matter of GPS lock as much as 4S (and occasionally Gas Buddy) being stupid.
    "The Nexus 5 is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 7, 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7), Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name Phone, HTC EVO 4G, Palm Pre, 64GB 1st gen iPad WiFi

Try an app called GPS Test.
    Settings in that app allows you to Clear AGPS Data, then re-download AGPS data.
    I have found this with a Profile and PRL update have fixed my issues with GPS.

I also went to EL27 Modem and had better data speeds.

Testing FC07 modem now..
    DropBox lets you sync files across Android, iOS, and Desktop Computers. Sign up for free, install, get me and you extra space! DropBox
    Twitter @AndroidTechGuy and @IAmSixNine
    Google+Google+

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

Yeah, just another problem with this phone. I won't be sorry to leave it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by boogaloo View Post
    Not sure if this is just a fluke. I reactivated my old Pre. Later today I reactivated my S2(Sprint) and now my GPS locks in 5 seconds or so.

I can pick up 7 satellites and my location is spot on. I'm guessing it must have reset my data profile which then forced my GPS to lock?

I'm just lucky that it now works.

what do you mean reactivate ..... and how do you know you are locked into 7 satellites ?
    ( still trying to learn my android )
    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    556 Global Posts

and how do you know you are locked into 7 satellites ?
    ( still trying to learn my android )

acadialover - GPS Essentials will give you this info. I'm sure there are many others.

I've been 2000 miles from home for 2 weeks now, and using my nav heavily the whole time. My gps has worked flawlessly. if it doesnt work for you, I would recommend returning the phone.

I have noticed more accuracy lately. I just haven't been in a needy situation with my GPS so I am not sure if I can trust the GPS fully.

I had my phone since it came out (Sept I think) and the GPS has consistently sucked. It works sometimes, but not always. Locks are sometimes very slow if at all. It didn't work without a network (overseas).

I don't consider having to reboot your phone when you are lost somewhere to try and get the GPS to work "normal".

I got a new phone yesterday. It still is slow to lock sometimes and sometimes won't lock at all. I need to use it more, but unfortunately, I don't consider this fixed.

I'll add that Sprint charge me a $40 diagnostic fee before replacing the phone. I complained saying I know what is wrong, but they wouldn't budge.
    Last edited by michaeljc70; 04-22-2012 at 09:27 AM.