What battery life are you getting on a daily basis?

Jahjah440

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm just wondering what my fellow Epic 4G Touch users get daily with battery life? Usage?

My phone gets unplugged at 7:30PM. The battery is at 99% (never 100?). It sits in my pocket ,unused, until about 11:00AM, when I play assorted games for 30 minutes straight. Battery life around then(before games) is about mid 70's. After games, low 70's. It then goes unused until 4:00PM, where the battery is below 50%. It then goes in to power saver mode.

That is my typical day with my E4GT. I am running Calkulins E4GT ROM v2.9.2. I love this phone, but the battery kinda stinks, dipping nearly 30% after 3 1/2 hours of no usage. I use task manager to kill stuff I'm not using.

Where can I find out what apps drain my battery? Or is this a trial and error kind of thing? Thanks, and let me know how your battery life is too!

burrrton

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Get rid of the Task Killer.

Uninstall all the bloatware (Media Hub and Social Hub, and maybe others, run in the background- not sure how much battery they use, but it can't be 0% so if you're not using them, and you don't need to, get rid of them).

Also be sure to stop Google Maps from running constantly (again, not sure how much battery it uses, but it can't be 0%). To do this, you have to go to Settings--> Applications--> Manage Applications--> Running Services--> Google Maps, and hit "Clear Data" once or twice (until the button grays out) then hit "Force Stop". This will shut it down until you start it again.

Most weather apps and various widgets run a process in the background, too, so if you have those running, all bets are off.

I do all these things (I got rid of the stupid weather widget- I can get a more complete weather outlook with a home page button in Opera Mobile that is nearly as convenient) and I can get 1.5-2 days of battery life with typical use (10-20 texts a day, half hour of web surfing, 5-10 calls, an hour of gaming, etc).

Remember that a lot of graphics-heavy gaming and/or video playback hits battery life pretty heavily, too. That's life in the portable device era.

Last edited:

burrrton

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
And the reason your phone is at 99% when you unplug is because of the charging algorithm. Once the battery is fully charged, it starts 'trickling' by allowing the battery to discharge slightly, then recharging, and repeating this.

If you look closely at laptop power management schemes, you'll see they do this, too, and many even allow you to set more drastic settings like allowing the battery to discharge a certain % before recharging when the laptop is on DC power.

duddy23b

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I cut my phone on at 5 am around 7:30 am I check my email and messages 11:30 it goes into power saver mode even with Battery doctor Saver on so I have a extra charger at worker for the next 90 minutes then back to usual. I also have a car charger as well so in between there is no chance of it running out of juice believe me it has happen once and it was no fun especially when I needed it the most, felt unsure kept thinking what if I get a flat or some other emergency.

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I use the paid version of juice defender. If set up right it totally saves battery. I can go 24 hours before having to charge. What it does is disables things from running while idol. I am lucky to lose 1 to 2% battery life every 2 hours with my current setting with the phone in standby. Task killers are a nono though for sure.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
The battery life on this phone is the best I've ever had. That being said I can get through a day with what I consider moderate use. Any more than that and I need to plug in.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
wow! I use non of these battery saver gimmicks, my gps is on for my weather bug app that updates hourly, I send on average 100 text/day, 25+ emails/day, a little browsing, a bit of Angry Birds, a couple phone calls and my phone at most uses an average of 5% per hour. I also dont sweat battery usage as I have an extra stock oem battery

Jahjah440

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Get rid of the Task Killer.

Uninstall all the bloatware (Media Hub and Social Hub, and maybe others, run in the background- not sure how much battery they use, but it can't be 0% so if you're not using them, and you don't need to, get rid of them).

Also be sure to stop Google Maps from running constantly (again, not sure how much battery it uses, but it can't be 0%). To do this, you have to go to Settings--> Applications--> Manage Applications--> Running Services--> Google Maps, and hit "Clear Data" once or twice (until the button grays out) then hit "Force Stop". This will shut it down until you start it again.

Most weather apps and various widgets run a process in the background, too, so if you have those running, all bets are off.

I do all these things (I got rid of the stupid weather widget- I can get a more complete weather outlook with a home page button in Opera Mobile that is nearly as convenient) and I can get 1.5-2 days of battery life with typical use (10-20 texts a day, half hour of web surfing, 5-10 calls, an hour of gaming, etc).

Remember that a lot of graphics-heavy gaming and/or video playback hits battery life pretty heavily, too. That's life in the portable device era.

My phone is rooted, so all the bloatware is gone. Thanks for the Maps trick though. Battery life seems better today. Phone was unplugged at 10AM and as of 1:41PM, I'm at 90%.

Is there an extended battery that is the same size as the OEM battery. I have this cool case that can let my phone survive a nuclear holocaust, and I don't want to take it off.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
just hop on Ebay and buy a brand new Samsung oem battery and call it a day, youll have an extra to switch out to if you have a day where you use a large amount of battery, my phone is never ever tethered to a charge cable

burrrton

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Is there an extended battery that is the same size as the OEM battery.

No, or at least not that I'm aware of. Note that there are some that *claim* to be higher capacity and the same size, but all those I've ever seen were cheap generic knock-offs that didn't have anywhere near the claimed capacity* according to tests I've read in various places.

*This isn't to indict all generic batteries- some are just as good as, if not better than, OEM.