pdog197804

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Anybody have any news about when ICS will drop for the Epic 4g touch. This was one of the reasons I purchased this phone, after hearing about the new HTC device I would think that it would be highly important for Samsung to do it before the launch of this device.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
It's close. The current builds are good but there are still some lingering bugs. If I were to guess, I'd say it will hit by the end of April.

skyo12

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
My friend is a samsung phone tester for tge at&t division and I saw that his phone had the ICS build on his Skyrocket earlier today.

He wouldn't tell me when they're releasing the update but I do think it's REALLY close

limdoug

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Since the Nexus S 4G will be getting their ICS update soon it seems, I'd imagine GS2 would be about a month behind that...so in May.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Im looking forward to it but with no news. I dont see coming the end of april.

Don't let the lack of news make you think ICS is a long ways off. It's highly unlikely there will be any news, until the day the update is being pushed out.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Here is the review of the latest build, which I believe is from April 5.

Review of the Leaked FD05 ICS rom on the Samsung Epic 4g Touch - YouTube

He's not going into much detail since not much has changed. He said he couldn't find any bugs and it's the smoothest version of all builds so far. I hope we're still allowed to use the ICS launcher instead of Touchwiz like it was possible in the earlier builds, but something tells me that Sprint and Samsung will get rid of that option for the final build.

Reactions: skyo12

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Yeah FD05 is the latest published ICS build for the E4GT. It's been really stable and has been running quite well for several builds now. Here are the remaining bugs that have been reported:

Notification bug - When a call ends, if you manually back out of the dialer by hitting the back or home buttons, before the call screen ends on its own, sound and vibrate notifications will often stop working until the device is rebooted.

Bluetooth - There are still lingering Bluetooth compatibility issues. It works perfectly for many devices, but not all. I've personally had a lot of issues with Bluetooth on the ICS builds in both of my cars.

4G - Can lead to random device reboots when enabled.

There are other issues that need to be resolved, but the above are really the big three right now. Oddly, the last few builds haven't seemed to address any of the issues that have been reported for awhile now, so I'm not sure what they've been working on.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I am hoping for an April release as well. I am anxious to try out Chrome on it, just looks like a nice browser.

rraman3110

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I dont like ICS for the Galaxy SII. It looks nothing like Vanilla Android 4.0 It really just looks like a nicer gingerbread
TouchWiz_4.0_on_Android_4.0.3.png

At least Sense 4.0 has a little more appeal IMO
gsmarena_001.jpg

dtm_stretch

Awesome Possum
Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
I dont like ICS for the Galaxy SII. It looks nothing like Vanilla Android 4.0 It really just looks like a nicer gingerbread

Well, give Samsung some time. When GB first came out the touchwiz UI was still the same as it was on froyo, in fact touchwiz wasn't updated to gingerbread theming/layouts until 2.3.4 with touchwiz 4.0 (Checkout the o.g. Epic 4g). I imagine they minimally alter touchwiz in order to get the releases out faster, I could see them putting out an updated touchwiz launcher and theming eventually.

rraman3110

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, give Samsung some time. When GB first came out the touchwiz UI was still the same as it was on froyo, in fact touchwiz wasn't updated to gingerbread theming/layouts until 2.3.4 with touchwiz 4.0 (Checkout the o.g. Epic 4g). I imagine they minimally alter touchwiz in order to get the releases out faster, I could see them putting out an updated touchwiz launcher and theming eventually.

I can accept a decent upgrade or even a stright copy from 2.2 to 2.3, but ICS is basically a whole new experience IMO. I would expect a less subtle change. Though you are probably right about just getting ICS out there. I will give Samsung benefit of the doubt that when ICS does come out it rocks the Epic 4G Touch World, but my hopes are not too high.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
They are saving the big update of Touchwiz for the GS3. If they were to skin Touchwiz with a new version that would resemble or be identical to what Touchwiz will look like on the GS3, they would steal away some of the thunder the GS3 is expected to cause. They might update it later separately. Also, as mentioned above, it might have to do with a speedier release by leaving Touchwiz the same. What's weird though is that earlier leak builds had some nice new animations going from homescreen to homescreen, but they took that back out in later builds. Who knows why?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
What's weird though is that earlier leak builds had some nice new animations going from homescreen to homescreen, but they took that back out in later builds. Who knows why?

They may have been testing them for TW 5.0 that will be on the GSIII.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Sammy is announcing the GS III on May 3rd of coarse with ICS and a new version of TW (maybe). With that etched in stone, Sammy will not release ICS for the GS II until after the release of the GS III. This has been the practice since...well,...forever because they want you to buy the latest and greatest first then after the hype is over, update everything else.

I hope this isn't the case but it actually makes sense in a business standpoint. I could be wrong but I just don't see it.

anon(680971)

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Sammy is announcing the GS III on May 3rd of coarse with ICS and a new version of TW (maybe). With that etched in stone, Sammy will not release ICS for the GS II until after the release of the GS III. This has been the practice since...well,...forever because they want you to buy the latest and greatest first then after the hype is over, update everything else.

I hope this isn't the case but it actually makes sense in a business standpoint. I could be wrong but I just don't see it.

They will probably do what Asus did which is like you said, announce the SG3 with all the new bells and whistles but like Asus did update the SG2 then release the SG3.

Batting1000

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
ICS is a very refined Gingerbread with the Epic 4G Touch. The font changes the enture experience IMO and makes it look clean overall. The small tweaks like the status bar and panels like the Settings menu keep the OS fresh. The latest leaks allow for you to clear defaults on the TwLauncher and use the stock ICS launcher (which is built in). Everything is faster than GB and GPS works great.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Valid theory, but the International GSII has already received the ICS update.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Millionmiles