4 buttons on the bottom keep pressing :(

nospimi99

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
The Menu, home, return, and search button section, the menu button keeps pressing randomly. Constantly, presses it 4 or 5 times, then freezes for 10 seconds, then everything works fine for about 15 seconds.

I just got it at the store today, and sadly I didn't really try it out until I got in the car and left from the mall "/

I tried looking in the settings to find a calibrate touchscreen but couldn't find anything :(

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I want to know if I should download updates, do something in the settings, or go back to the store. Thanks!

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you got defective unit I'm afraid. I've heard of this before, and all were hardware issues.

You may want to power it down, pull the battery, replace it then power on again and see if it keeps happening first, but I think a trip back to the store is in your future.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

nospimi99

Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you got defective unit I'm afraid. I've heard of this before, and all were hardware issues.

You may want to power it down, pull the battery, replace it then power on again and see if it keeps happening first, but I think a trip back to the store is in your future.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Grrrr. That was my worse fear. Thanks for the quick reply though "/

tabascoman66

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Mine had phantom presses of the menu key. They did a screen replacement in the store. It fixed the problem, but now my charge LED light sometimes turns off while charging.

deesugar

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I can confirm this problem is hardware based. It also seems to get worse when the signal bars are low. Replacing my unit fixed the issue. Good luck on getting the store to believe you without them making you wipe everything only to ask you later to make this random problem happen on demand before they do anything.

FYI
The LED light issue will happen to you later. Took 5 months after my phantom menu before the LED problem happened.

Last edited:

garciaop

May 18, 2010
Visit site
i exchaged the et4g like 5 times with asurion all of them kept doing the same thing so asurian told me to go buy a new phone to the store and they will send me a paycheck for what i paid but the thing keeps acting like if am pressing the buttons and also noticed that if you put cream on your hand or you sweat alittle from your hands it will start doing it a lot i have the white color and am thinking to go and exchage the phone for a black one to see if the black color will not be doing the same thing as the white

caddyman#AC

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
When that happened to me all I do is clean my screen. When the finger prints get real heavy the menu button keeps opening. Clean the screen and I'm good. I know sounds crazy!!!

Dngrsone

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
This thread provided the information I needed to get Sprint (and Samsung) on board with a solution for the Galaxy S II 'Epic 4G Touch' model number SPH-D710.

I got verification that the problem with the Sprint S2 phones is also caused by RF interference. Here is the reply:

When the radio turns up power to maintain connection with the towers it can cause Electronic Noise to leak over the connection between the capacitive buttons at the bottom of the handset and the main board, making the phone think that there was a key press. This is due to a piece of shielding tape on the device not being up to snuff. The tape can't be replaced on its own in store, the entire screen assembly needs to be replaced.

This issue took quite a bit of time to track down and determine a root cause by Sprint/Samsung because of the large number of devices in the field with varying parts since launch and the multitude of potential causes. It needed to be determined how widespread the issue was, and the different types of hardware affected by this versus other issues with potentially similar symptoms.

The MENU button being "pressed" on its own is considered a known issue and can be fixed in a Service and Repair store by replacing the screen assembly (The replacement parts from Samsung are a combined LCD/TSP assembly from the factory so they are both replaced at once). It does appear more apparent in low signal/roaming environments due to the nature of the issue. If a store does not have parts available or is unable to fix it, they can exchange the device for you. Exchanges will be for the same model refurbished device, just as if you went through Samsung to have it repaired/replaced. The refurbished devices should have the fixed part in place already from the warehouse. If you do not have TEP/ESRP from Sprint the $50 repair fee is waived for the repair/exchange for this issue. I do not know a specific date that this was posted in the internal device solutions portal, I just checked it today specifically for this issue.

The hard part is convincing your repair center to actually perform the repair-- I got stonewalled, even though the fix information was attached to my repair ticket. Either print out the pertinent parts of the Sprint forums thread and take it into your local Sprint repair center, or contact Christy through the aforementioned Sprint help forums for a repair ticket.

Oh, and according to the tech I talked to at the store, Jellybean is supposed to roll out in this month... yeah, doesn't look like that's happening.

Amrik Singh1

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes Sir I do have same problem with Samsung Galaxi s2 four button on the bottom big headache. This phone really sucks but now I am really not going after Samsung phone. They say Galaxi s4 may be good phone I dont know. I think its too much like 4 to 5 hundred dollers to spend on phone just for one year and than it start giving problems.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908