How to stop wifi from connecting to open hotspots

lasercomp

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi, is there a setting that will only allow my wofi to connect to hotspots that I've already configured to connect? Sometimes I'm sitting on a red light and I'm connected to some hot spot and it kills my google nav if its in the middle of rerouting. Any suggestions? I'm not rooted. Thank you.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Menu > Settings > Wi-Fi, hit the Menu button and select Advanced. Then uncheck the Network notification box.

lasercomp

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I have that option unchecked but it still seems to connect to open hotspots on its own. It doesnt notify me that there are open networks which is what unchecking that setting does but it still does automatically connect to things.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
That's really weird and doesn't sound right. Do you have any apps installed that may be set to auto-connect to open access points?

lasercomp

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I have lots of apps installed and can't really tell if any of them are doing this. Just to clarify, if I have the network notification unchecked in the network settings and I come across an open network that I've never connected to, my phone shouldn't automatically try to connect to it? Mine seems to want to connect to anything open. Like a dirty whore. Lol.

duddy23b

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if qualify to comment but when I want Wi-Fi off I uncheck advanced notification box but also uncheck the box above that says Wi-Fi that usually works because the phone goes back to 3G or 4G