Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

Default How to stop wifi from connecting to open hotspots

Hi, is there a setting that will only allow my wofi to connect to hotspots that I've already configured to connect? Sometimes I'm sitting on a red light and I'm connected to some hot spot and it kills my google nav if its in the middle of rerouting. Any suggestions? I'm not rooted. Thank you.

Default Re: How to stop wifi from connecting to open hotspots

Menu > Settings > Wi-Fi, hit the Menu button and select Advanced. Then uncheck the Network notification box.
    Current Device: LG G2 (D800 - AT&T)
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

I have that option unchecked but it still seems to connect to open hotspots on its own. It doesnt notify me that there are open networks which is what unchecking that setting does but it still does automatically connect to things.

Global Posts
    1,430 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

That's really weird and doesn't sound right. Do you have any apps installed that may be set to auto-connect to open access points?
    "The OnePlus One is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 64GB OnePlus One, 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7)
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

I have lots of apps installed and can't really tell if any of them are doing this. Just to clarify, if I have the network notification unchecked in the network settings and I come across an open network that I've never connected to, my phone shouldn't automatically try to connect to it? Mine seems to want to connect to anything open. Like a dirty *****. Lol.

Global Posts
    1,430 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Have your phone call me, please.

I'm not sure if qualify to comment but when I want Wi-Fi off I uncheck advanced notification box but also uncheck the box above that says Wi-Fi that usually works because the phone goes back to 3G or 4G