Should I upgrade to Epic 4G Touch with the current GPS issues?

hotrodrgc

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I've searched the forum and couldn't really find the answer I'm looking for. I had the Epic 4G with Sprint and really liked the phone except for the GPS issues I had with it. So I thought surely those issues wouldn't transfer to the new Epic, I guess I was wrong huh?? What is going on with this? Is it still worth getting this phone and waiting for a fix or should I jump ship to the iphone4s? I use my GPS fairly often and it was very frustrating fighting the damn thing all the time, I dont want to make the same mistake again. Any help would be much appreciated as upgrades dont come around to often.

Thanks

Uglyfido

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Should I upgrade to Epic 4G Touch with the current GPS issues

Take it for what it's worth, but I have had zero issues with my GPS, and my handset is fully stock. I know many others have had problems, but my unit has been flawless for me. Of course, YMMV. But hey, that's what returns are for. ;)

mike104393

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
OP,

If I was in your position, I would wait to upgrade to the gs3, htc one x, or even jump to the prime. I'm not trying to discourage you in acquiring this phone but, just recommending that there are an abundance of new smartphone with quad core coming out very soon.

With that being said..

The gps issue is surely an issue. I've had it with my original and my replacement device. The phone just doesn't seem to to lock on. There are many fixes to this issue - root and use alternative radio modems. I'm currently on the FD builts and the GPS locks on within seconds. I assuming that the GPS issue will finally be fixed with the release of 4.0 ice cream to our device.

Hope I was able to make your decision a bit more easier. Ether way, I've enjoyed this phonr since it was first release and don't foresee myself changing anytime soon.

Mike

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site

I've had zero gps issues as well and am not rooted. Always locks on quickly. Now sprint's crappy service is another issue.

luvsmobile

Luvzmobile
Aug 22, 2010
Visit site

Zero GPS issues on stock and now FD26. I would also look at one of the new phones as the GS2 is old by phone standards and the price point on the new ones will be virtually the same.

duddy23b

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site

Knocking on wood had my phone since Sept. 2011 first debut like a few others no problems with GPS but battery usage sucks until I started cutting off apps that check for updates and refresh themselves., locking on and holding has been relatively good.

DEF3NDER

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site

Mine is stock and my GPS is flawless. I use it on a regular basis and when I switch it on it instantly locks. Works better than my tomtom. Also, this is the best battery on any phone I've ever used.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

For many devices the official EL29 update borked the GPS. Mine was included.
I did the one click stock root method and as of now my device is stock root EL29 ROM/Kernel with FC15 modem and its working very well for me.
Frankly if it were me id wait to see what samsung brings to the table for an LTE device in its 3rd gen galaxy device.
With that said if your not in a market to get LTE and you DO have WiMax then id lean toward getting the Epic Touch.
I my self am in a first launch market and plan on getting either the EVO LTE or GS3 LTE..
But i am going to wait till both devices are in a store so i can get a hands on comparison.

tony404

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

You arent alone, I bought the phone when it first came out and the gps sucks. Love the phone if I had to use the gps on a regular basis it would have to go.

hotrodrgc

May 24, 2011
Visit site

Sprint doesn't offer LTE in my area only Verizon, so thats not a factor. Yeah I think I'll just wait and see what Samsung is going to reveal. I really want to get a new one now but I think patience will pay off here. We should all know more tomorrow right? Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it!

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

As much as I love this phone, I would agree with your choice to wait at this point. My GPS has been reliable when I needed it, but I don't use it all that much. I did have issues getting a lock one time when I was in Las Vegas, but that was it.

Tomorrow you'll have a good look at what's in store for the GS3. But remember, what you see tomorrow could be quite different if/when it eventually comes to Sprint. Different outsides and different insides possibly (and likely). Also, it could be 4-5 months before we see it here in the states, although it could (and likely will in my opinion) come sooner this year.

Patience often pays off in these circumstances though, and if you can wait I say do it.

repinphilly247

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site

I'd wait... my GPS has been horrible after the latest update (not rooted). Used to work 50% of the time before the update, and when it didn't, a quick AGPS refresh with GPS Status got it working properly. Now all it does it see satellites but won't ever lock on, no matter what I do. Really frustrating.

Reactions: llmgtab

sparkeater79

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

The GPS on my phone is unreliable to say the least. It will work pretty much all the time when I shut down then phone then restart it. When this happens and I am with my wife, she pulls out her ip4 and her GPS locks on in 2-3seconds. Ever time. It drives me nuts. My one major major major major major major major problem with this device is the GPS lock . I guess what I am trying to say is, don't buy the gs2 if you use your GPS on a regular basis. You will be extremely disappointed!

sls639

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

i had issues, i downloaded "GPS status", no issues since. plus it has a really cool compass and shows long and lat. i guess i could go on one of those online treasure hunts now :0)

llmgtab

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site

i had issues, i downloaded "GPS status", no issues since. plus it has a really cool compass and shows long and lat. i guess i could go on one of those online treasure hunts now :0)

Thanks! My GPS worked most of the time for the first few months, but lately it hardly ever would get a lock. I used "GPS Status" to clear the GPS cache, and locks immediately now.

sparkeater79

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Don't get your hopes up. My GPS works great, unless I am in a crucial moment were I actually need to use my map, then it craps out. If the GPS doesn't work from Samsung there is no app out there that will fix this issue. I can't say enough about how disappointed I an with my gps.

llmgtab

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Well that fix with gps status was only temporary. Looks like I need to use it prior to each use.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2