1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9

Default Father's E4GT pulled in his wife's contacts from separate account

My father and step mother traded in their Evo 4G's for a pair of E4GT's about a week ago. Everything seemed to be OK until my father noticed that his phone had the contacts from his wife's Gmail account, as well as his. They never mixed up sdcards, they don't share any accounts at all, not Gmail, exchange, Hotmail or Yahoo. The only thing shared is his wife's Google calendar cause she travels a lot for work and my Dad always likes to know what city she's in from week to week since she has heath issues. His Evo didn't have his wife's contacts, so what caused his E4GT to get all the contacts? My step mother doesn't appear to be getting my fathers contacts, or anything like that. Very strange and I can't find anything similar.

I should mention that none of their phones are or have ever been rooted, they run totally stock and unrooted. The E4GT are running EL29.
    Last edited by garfnodie; 05-07-2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: additional info
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. --Cassis, John
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: Father's E4GT pulled in his wife's contacts from separate acc

is it possible that the gmail accounts are linked in some way (in gmail, not the phone)
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    is it possible that the gmail accounts are linked in some way (in gmail, not the phone)
    I know he looked for something like that, but couldn't find anything like that. He has two Gmail account himself, but the only why he can access his wife's Gmail is by logging in using her username and password. They are both totally open about that kind of stuff and don't care that the other can see their stuff, but for the sake of sanity, they have never actually setup or linked the others accounts on their phones or Gmail account. The fact that this didn't happen until he got a new phone is what's really confusing. You can go into the "accounts and sync" and all that's listed there is his two personal Gmail accounts, and his Hotmail account.

under his wifes gmail account, go into settings and make sure the only thing checkboxed is sync calander.

menu>settings>accounts and sync>wifes gmail address

hope that helps
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9

He doesn't have his wife's gmail account even setup on his phone, and yet his phone still pulled in her contacts.

Hmmmmmthat is really odd.
    you said "The only thing shared is his wife's Google calendar cause she travels "
    how is this information being shared

he would have to have her account information on his phone to view her calendar.

if he does, there are options to sync email, contacts, calander...etc....

if you check the phone and refer to my previous post, i think you'll get it worked out

just thought of this one.....does she have his gmail account on her phone???

that might be worth looking into because if she does, it will sync her contacts with his gmail, then with his gmail on his phone he would get her contacts.

that is why i only use gmail for contacts. on my corporate exchange, i do not sync contacts...then everyone at work would be able to see my personal contacts, and all of my works contacts would be synced with my gmail.....really confusing
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1974w View Post
    just thought of this one.....does she have his gmail account on her phone???

that might be worth looking into because if she does, it will sync her contacts with his gmail, then with his gmail on his phone he would get her contacts.

that is why i only use gmail for contacts. on my corporate exchange, i do not sync contacts...then everyone at work would be able to see my personal contacts, and all of my works contacts would be synced with my gmail.....really confusing
    You can share a Google calendar with someone else, if it's one you created. I have my fathers work calendar on my phone, and I have my school calendar shared with both of them. You just hit the little down arrow next to the calendar you want to share and select share and put in their email address. If they use Gmail as well, it will now show up as an available calendar for them to sync. See attached image for sharing options.

As for personal and work accounts, my step mother has her personal Gmail account and her works Exchange account on her work Blackberry, but the contacts do not mingle. Sure she can see them all on her phone, but others in her company can only see her Exchange contacts, it's all in how you set it up.

Now back to the problem at hand, my step mother does not have my fathers account on her phone either, and she never got any of his contacts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Father's E4GT pulled in his wife's contacts from separate account-calendar-share.png