• 1 Post By Verdes8891
  • 1 Post By eocwizard1
  • 1 Post By steddora
  • 1 Post By srkmagnus
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

Default ICS question

What's up all. Hoping to get some advice on ICS, I want to root and install vanilla is it better than touchwiz? And r there any problems or things that don't work with the ICS? Thank you
    Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Flashaholic

ROM
    PACman

Quote Originally Posted by TnA206 View Post
    What's up all. Hoping to get some advice on ICS, I want to root and install vanilla is it better than touchwiz? And r there any problems or things that don't work with the ICS? Thank you
    It's really all opinion based. For now there are still some problems with ics and AOSP roms because the source hasn't been released which makes things much harder on the devs.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

So its better to wait till its released? I really am just trying to avoid the tw overlay.

Default Re: ICS question

What you could do to not use touchwiz is to download a Home replacement launcher like Launcher pro, ADW Ex, Go Launcher Ex... etc

Every android phone that i get i replace the home launcher right away and start customizing.
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!
    kilen71 likes this.

ROM
    ROGUE, Stock

Quote Originally Posted by TnA206 View Post
    There are many many different launchers, stock, ICS comes with Trebuchet, there are similar ones that are available to download at the Play Store - Nova, Apex that act very much like the stock ICS launcher. Not to disagree with the above posts but the ICS builds have been making leaps and bounds of progress over the last few weeks. If you were to flash a ROM after rooting, i would get one that is based on a sprint leak - FC-FE, and also update the radio.

The above link takes you to a "one click root and restore file" that literally will root and install your new rom using one program. Additionally, there are links within the same area to take you back to stock using the same method. The link above is for the latest sprint ICS release that will install the base ICS program and the newest modem. There are 2 different versions of this program - one that erases all of your data and one that preserves it... take a look at which one you get and choose the one that is right for you.

Good luck!!
    Thanked by:
    TnA206 
    luvsmobile likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

Thanks. I think ill just do it and regret it later...yea. lol

I'm running FE10 myself, rooted blah blah thanks to sfhubs oneclick awesomeness! I just use the stock launcher. You can enable it by going into manage apps and selecting TWLauncher and clearing the defaults and then hit the home button and select Launcher instead. It's light and always responsive as can be. Touchwiz is pretty good, but once I started really using the stock launcher; I couldn't go back! lol

And just incase you were wondering; yes the odin one-clicks that sfhub provides are really that easy. Just read the directions and follow them to the "T" and you'll be fine. I went from the stock EL29 rom to EL29 rooted, to FD26 rooted, and now I'm sitting on FE10 rooted.

I wouldn't go back to GB for the world now. I am surprised at the results of FE10. However, I am a performance junkie and always try to run the minimum for the best performance. Heck, my PC even runs the minimum of applications as to not take any of the precious resources from my games. Some won't notice much of a difference, but I have. Can't wait to get the OTA so the devs can really start tweaking this kernel!
    My phone is faster than my PC was in 2004! What the...
    Thanked by 2:
    spewakTnA206 
    luvsmobile likes this.
    Luvzmobile

Thumbs up Re: ICS question

Quote Originally Posted by steddora View Post
    I'm running FE10 myself, rooted blah blah thanks to sfhubs oneclick awesomeness! I just use the stock launcher. You can enable it by going into manage apps and selecting TWLauncher and clearing the defaults and then hit the home button and select Launcher instead. It's light and always responsive as can be. Touchwiz is pretty good, but once I started really using the stock launcher; I couldn't go back! lol

And just incase you were wondering; yes the odin one-clicks that sfhub provides are really that easy. Just read the directions and follow them to the "T" and you'll be fine. I went from the stock EL29 rom to EL29 rooted, to FD26 rooted, and now I'm sitting on FE10 rooted.

I wouldn't go back to GB for the world now. I am surprised at the results of FE10. However, I am a performance junkie and always try to run the minimum for the best performance. Heck, my PC even runs the minimum of applications as to not take any of the precious resources from my games. Some won't notice much of a difference, but I have. Can't wait to get the OTA so the devs can really start tweaking this kernel!
    I'm with you on the Kernel tweaking. I use the and according to the appsucker graph, the kernel sits on top with 72.9%. Other than that I'm really happy with . As you said we just need some tweaking on the kernel.
    HTC One
    Samsung Galaxy Note II
    HTC Evo LTE
    Nexus 10

Once that would be done man... These phones will truly be "epic" xD

I have not tried any ICS ROM for this phone. I have used many ROMs for other Android devices, including phones. I have been unhappy with most of them. A lot of times they are buggy. You will receive no support (well, other than maybe on a message board). What you gain is generally minimal. Why not just root your phone? That is easy and easy to undo.

The ICS update will be out soon (this summer I'm summer). IMO not worth bothering before that. What is it you hope to gain other than saying you are running the latest OS?

I have ICS on a tablet. It is nice, but it really is almost entirely all cosmetic. You can get a launcher and largely get the same functionality.

The differences functionally in gingerbread, honeycomb and ICS are not that big. It is not like XP, Vist and Win7.
    Thanked by:
    TnA206 
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

Ive been thinking about it last couple days sand I agree 100% with u thanks for making my decision easy

I wouldn't say ICS is mostly cosmetic. There are some great features in ICS, one of the best is the data usage (although that doesn't matter for us Sprint users ). I haven't tried ICS on the Epic 4G Touch yet, but I do have CM9 running on my Droid Bionic and it is nice, almost everything is working.

If you do decide to put a ICS ROM on your phone, make sure you backup your stock ROM so you can go back to it if you want too.
    Thanked by:
    TnA206 

Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by ajonesma View Post
    If you do decide to put a ICS ROM on your phone, make sure you backup your stock ROM so you can go back to it if you want too.
    Anyone who installs and unofficial ICS build on the Epic 4G Touch should know that you can't just restore a backup to restore settings. Please use caution amd understand how to return back to stock if you run an ICS build and want to be back on Gingerbread.

Thanked by:
    TnA206 
    ajonesma likes this.

Any idea when Sprint will be releasing the official ICS update?

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    Any idea when Sprint will be releasing the official ICS update?
    No clue, but probably soon. Then again, we're already a month past my original estimate.

Current Device: LG G2 (D800 - AT&T)

No kidding... But judging by FE16... It HAS to be close.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by JayWill72 View Post
    No clue, but probably soon. Then again, we're already a month past my original estimate.

I'm really hoping it's within the next month or so.

ROM
    Stock for now

For those that are working with the FE16 update, could you provide some updated thoughts. FE 10 sounded pretty polished but I was wondering what might be left to iron out?

Thanks!!
    Jeff
    Galaxy S3, Epic 4G Touch, Photon, Evo, Pre, Pixi, Moto Q, BB Curve, PPC-6700
    Addicted to cell phones since 1998

Quote Originally Posted by ajonesma View Post
    I'm really hoping it's within the next month or so.
    Rumor has it that a final build is supposed to be sent to Sprint for testing this weekend. Assuming it passes their checks, I'd expect the official update to be released before the end of the month, or by early June.

Quote Originally Posted by oskar1995 View Post
    For those that are working with the FE16 update, could you provide some updated thoughts. FE 10 sounded pretty polished but I was wondering what might be left to iron out?

Thanks!!
    FE16 is ready. It's very polished. I believe the only bug that still exists is the notification light will not flash while the phone is charging. Although, my bluetooth media audio issues persist on my Sony car stereo, but I gave up on that getting fixed as I believe it a compatibility issue and I've run out of ideas on channels to report the issue. I simply have to wait until the update hits the masses and hope enough people have the same issues and report the problem, so that it may be fixed in a future update.

Until that time comes (if ever) I have to turn media audio off in my bluetooth pairing settings for the Sony stereo and use the headphones jack and Aux input. Either that or run a AOSP ROM like CM9, which I likely will anyways once the kernel source is released.

Otherwise, yeah, ICS is ready for mass consumption on this phone. Now it just needs to be approved and distributed.
    Current Device: LG G2 (D800 - AT&T)
    Thanked by:

ROM
    Stock for now

JayWill,

As always, thanks for the update and for continuing to provide valuable information and feedback. Glad to hear that FE16 is pretty polished. Obviously that notification light would be a nice one to iron out, but given all the positives I've heard regarding ICS, I'm looking forward to being able to use it.
    Jeff
    Galaxy S3, Epic 4G Touch, Photon, Evo, Pre, Pixi, Moto Q, BB Curve, PPC-6700
    Addicted to cell phones since 1998

Here's to hoping we get an official taste of ICS this month or early in June :-)

Sent from my Epic 4g Touch using Android Central Forums