Android OS Consuming Most Of My Battery Life

takehiro12

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Help! For the past several weeks, Android OS has been dominating my battery usage in a variety of situations and shortening my battery life when it used to be great. I have all sync minimized, GPS and 4G off, and only use Wifi at home. I thought I had it nailed down to a specific app, but after removing it there is little change. I'm not rooted, and I bypassed the EL29 update, but that was several months ago. Today I just put in a 2000 mAh battery in an effort to get more time between charges but does anyone have any ideas how I can track down the cause of the drain other than removing all recent apps?

takehiro12

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback, so far today I'm at 41% AOS so maybe it was that app after all. Also with the larger battery in I'm at 91% charge after being unplugged for 5+ hours. Things are looking up :)

Lawbreaker

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
And remember, it is a percentage. The fewer other tasks you perform with the phone, the higher percentage of usage the Android O/S will be.

Basically, if your usage was 25% Display, 15% GPS, 10% Sync, 50% Android OS, and then you stopped using the display, turned off GPS, and killed the sync, your usage would be 100% android OS because you removed everything else using the battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: VDub2174

takehiro12

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
It was a Lotus Mail app I was using for work, and it looks like I spoke too soon because today my AOS is back up to 70%.

I can understand the relationship of the percentages and if my phone sits idle with the display off how that can take a back seat to Android operation. But what I'm noticing is that when my AOS percentage goes way up, my battery takes a sudden nose dive. This tells me the phone is working overtime on something, but on what I have no idea.

takehiro12

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not rooted. My last phone was and overall it was a good experience (except for some GPS issues) but this time I'm trying to keep the phone stock, for better or worse.

Modtronix

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Total stab in the dark here but, if you have a "task killer app" installed that may be the issue. While it will as intended, the OS will just restart them and "that" kills battery. If that isn't the case, disregard and good luck!