Random download with Chinese characters

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Anybody else ever get a random download of an app or file with Chinese characters? Happened on my Epic Touch over the weekend, and then on my wife's Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet. Didn't do anything to kick of a download anytime close to when this happened, on either device.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
It sounds like a rogue app doing that. I read somewhere That downloading Look Out Mobile or something like that will tell you who the culprit is.

I used to have an app that would download apps and place an icon on my homescreen.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Yes, thanks, I downloaded Lookout and it hasn't reported anything yet. Its scan was clean, so maybe if it monitors activity it will find something suspicious.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
For safety measures I'd suggest a factory reset and re download apps one at a time.

Do you know the name of the app which was installed? Do a search and see if others report the same download.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

fallonjp

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I woke up to this same thing this morning on my Verizon GNex. I dismissed the notifications (there were 2) before getting a screenshot thinking I would find them in my file explorer. No luck.

I installed Avast and ran a scan of all apps and the SD card and it didn't find anything. Anyone know what these might have been? I'd really prefer not to have to do a full wipe.

Thanks.

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
This doesn't seem to be an app that downloads, it seems to be a link. My wife accidentally clicked on it after it downloaded, and it loaded up a Web page and started downloading a different app. She cancelled the download and so we couldn't see what it was (maybe it's in here history somewhere? I'll have to look).

Lookout didn't find anything on hers either.

jfa2012

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
i get notifications that are shaped like a text message but the edges of the text message icon is cut instead of a sharp edge. Also its in chinese when i check it with some numbers.

When i press it, it gives me two choices both in chinese.
i pressed the one on the left and it installed something on my phone which idk. then it came up again and i pressed the one on the right, it didnt do anything so probably that was like a "No thanks" button. And in my SD card, i cant get rid of this folder "KkDownApps". i think thats where that chinese thing was installed.. IT INSTALLED AN APPS LIKE A MESSENGER KIND.

i get these fake message notifications on random times of the day..

how do i get rid of it? please help!!

jfa2012

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
i get notifications that are shaped like a text message but the edges of the text message icon is cut instead of a sharp edge. Also its in chinese when i check it with some numbers.

When i press it, it gives me two choices both in chinese.
i pressed the one on the left and it installed something on my phone which idk. then it came up again and i pressed the one on the right, it didnt do anything so probably that was like a "No thanks" button. And in my SD card, i cant get rid of this folder "KkDownApps". i think thats where that chinese thing was installed.. IT INSTALLED AN APPS LIKE A MESSENGER KIND.

i get these fake message notifications on random times of the day..

how do i get rid of it? please help!!

kellyhicks85

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
This is exactly what happened to my phone recently. I think its something associated with a game from google play that I downloaded a while back. Unfortunately i don't remember what. WhAT DiD you do???? this has been a few years back for you. I was wondering, thanks.

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
yes its making me crazy. every time i open my phone i find several apps installed automatically on my home screen. others appear as a notification with chinesee characters under neath them. do any one know how to get rid of them??
i already tried factroy reset, disable allow installation from non market, disabled auto update apps....i dont know what else i can do

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22