One Week of Using Galaxy SII and not happy!!

hellomoto921

May 22, 2012
Visit site
I have to say that after using this phone for a little bit more than a week after retiring the blackberry, I am missing the blackberry!!! This phone has more quirky strange issues than anything!!! Whether its sound notifications changing by themselves or stop working suddenly, to email not grabbing automatically even after setting it to do so, to emails not pulling correctly!! Layout of history of numbers not telling me which number it is (work, home, etc) and the phone completely freezing for no reason just by opening the camera! Im starting to wonder why all the fuss over these smart phones and people leave blackberry when the blackberry messaging and email just works!!! Yes there are no apps etc on the blackberry but i would give up these apps for a phone that works and doesn't have weird issues like this one! Perhaps I should try an iphone!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Check the settings for the issues are you referring to. I have no problems with any of those. You need to remember that the Blackberry OS and Android are completely different and it may take a while to learn the device. If you are truly unhappy with it then you might want to exchange it for another device (iPhone) well within your return period.

Sorry that you've had so many issues within the week. It sounds more like a problem with settings rather than device deficiencies.

hellomoto921

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Definitely not the settings. I work in IT and am pretty tech savvy. So ive checked and rechecked settings and it seems like certain settings are completely ignored or dont make a difference. For example: Ive checked off setting to have weather display on the locked screen but it doesn't show at all! Just these strange issues where i feel like the phone has mind of its own.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I haven't had any issues with anything you mentioned. It is possible that you may have gotten a bad device and would suggest either swapping it for a new E4GT or getting a completely different device.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
an android with quirks is still much better than a BB, other than maybe the superior emailing power of the BB, android quirks or not is a better experience, Im no fanboi of this phone either, but to say you miss your BB is laughable imo, I mean when I came from my BB to an evo 4g back in 2010 I missed my BB for about the first 10 minutes lol

ecigg

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Never had those issues either. I too came from Blackberry and haven't looked back since. Only thing they do good is email, other than that BB is a joke.

davis.rob

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Definitely not the settings. I work in IT and am pretty tech savvy. So ive checked and rechecked settings and it seems like certain settings are completely ignored or dont make a difference. For example: Ive checked off setting to have weather display on the locked screen but it doesn't show at all! Just these strange issues where i feel like the phone has mind of its own.

Just curious ... where do you set weather to be displayed on the lock screen? That sounds a problem with an app or a widget, not with the phone.

FWIW, Android can be a little complex. And I think it's important that you try to determine the real source of your issues ... whether it's the E4GT (and the TouchWiz skin), or Android, or a specific app/widget. If you want "simple", then an iPhone might actually be a better choice.

Rob

hellomoto921

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Just curious ... where do you set weather to be displayed on the lock screen? That sounds a problem with an app or a widget, not with the phone.

FWIW, Android can be a little complex. And I think it's important that you try to determine the real source of your issues ... whether it's the E4GT (and the TouchWiz skin), or Android, or a specific app/widget. If you want "simple", then an iPhone might actually be a better choice.

Rob

Settigns>Device>Display>Weather "Show weather on lock screen"

Thank you for your input. I appreciate your feedback and helpful response

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

Its been a really long time since I ran a Gingerbread ROM on my phone, but wasn't weather on the lockscreen not added until ICS? Did you flash an ICS ROM to your phone?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Im running stock and I don't see anything under Display that mentions anything about weather. In addition, the "Settings>Device" doesn't exist for me. It goes "Settings>Display" which doesn't have anything for Weather

I'm certainly hoping for some tasty ICS soon. Just the battery improvements (since the UI isn't really changing) have me excited.

davis.rob

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm ... well that's odd. I don't have that on my phone. Are we talking about a plain vanilla, stock, Sprint Epic 4G Touch? That's part of what my previous post implied ... there's a LOT of options for Android, so if you really want to get to the bottom of an issue you have to be specific.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Root it and be good to go. I am using ICS with no problems

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Eric16

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Ya are you rooted? Maybe it's your ROM. I left my Epic Touch 2 weeks ago for the Evo LTE and I'm still subscribed to this phone forum. It's like a old ex, you just keep checking back to see what's new and all that lol

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The GS2 was one of my most reliable devices, sprint sucked, but that was not the phones fault. Yes the iPhone runs better, duh! It is gardened, but it has issues despite the best garners...

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious how you aren't rooted and are running 4.0.3 "stock" on the E4GT. ICS hasn't been officially released for the E4GT and the most recent stock version is 2.3.6 (and the EL29 kernel).

Wicell

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Well sir, it appears you have bought either a test unit or a unit that was not in fact new. As there is currently no Official OTA update to ICS, nor are there any units that are shipping or should be sold with ICS.

I am currently running a ROM from Team Nocturnal based on leak FD26 (April 26th [holy cow I am behind]), which is also based on 4.0.3 ICS, HOWEVER, since FE10 (May 10th) leaks have been based on 4.0.4, the latest being FE22 (May 22nd). I too am experiencing some of the bugs you mention, but not to that extreme. As a matter of fact, this is the second time I have written this reply to you. I'm on my laptop now, but the first time I was trying to reply on my phone when the bug that causes me the most strife happened, a self soft-reboot.

Anyway, the bugs aside, this is actually an amazing phone. I recommend you try to get a replacement since it was not in the state it should have been. If not interested in dealing with the store, a good thing to do would be to read up on rooting, odin, clockwordmod, and ROMing, then either find a custom ROM that strikes your fancy, or put it back to stock (either ICS or GB).

I hope this helps a little, welcome to Android and the Epic 4G Touch community! :)

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious how you aren't rooted and are running 4.0.3 "stock" on the E4GT. ICS hasn't been officially released for the E4GT and the most recent stock version is 2.3.6 (and the EL29 kernel).

You can actually flash ICS and not have a rooted phone, by flashing a stock unrooted TAR in Odin.

To the OP ... I think we're going to need more information on how you obtained your phone, what you may or may not have flashed onto it and the process you used in order to provide some further feedback on your issues. Since you have 4.0.3 it tells me you have an earlier ICS build. Samsung updated it to 4.0.4 in one of the more recent builds (FD24 I think). Anyhoo, if you care to share some more information we can possibly narrow down to what's causing your problems.

I suspect you restored some GB system data onto your ICS ROM and it's causing problems.

OmarF82

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
His not using stock el29 cause weather on lock screen its a feature of ics 1.he mistaken phone or 2.running custom ROM in that case the problem is the ROM not the device I believe he not that tech savvy on the (scene) lol

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol