Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Default Leaving my Curve for E4GT, but....question?

I'm not an android owner yet, but with your help, I could be the proud owner of the Epic 4g Touch.

1. Thought I read something, but wanted to get some clarity. Will ICS fix the known GPS issue with this phone?

2. I would like to root the phone only to delete unwanted or unused junk, but i again think i read somewhere that the ICS update will "lock" you out of rooting. So, if i rooted the phone, deleted junk and unrooted it, will the UPDATE go thru, or will it not be happy? Or would i be able to root and delete stuff AFTER ICS is installed?

I'm looking to delete sprint ID and most of the sprint stuff (as long as it doesnt stop the phone from functioning. Also figuring i would delete apps that I just would never use. Not looking to totally change the UI and i kind of like TouchWiz so wouldn't mess with that either.

Except for my concern about the GPS issue, i am totally loving this phone and will be leaving 2 plus years with my BB Curve to do so. also hoping the Galaxy 3 will allow for a discount/sale on the GS2, woo-hoo.

I look forward to joining this team (officially). ICS/root(delete bloatware)/fix GPS and i'm sold.

Default Re: Leaving my Curve for E4GT, but....question?

We will know more about the GPS issue when ICS official comes out. But GPS has been a common problem for samsung phones in the past.

As far as the rooting aspect of it, it will lock it out of root methods currently until new ones are created. Shouldnt take all that long.
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!

While ICS will break our current method of rooting I can almost guarantee it won't be long before someone here or over at xda comes up with a new method. Welcome aboard in advance
    Flashaholic

ROM
    PACman

They're just trying to plug up root exploits for once you're already updated to the stock version, but odin will always be there to use and you can easily update to a pre rooted version or flash a custom rom from gingerbread.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Rigth now you can flash different modems to fix the GPS issue EL29 brought up on us.
    Before i switched to my EVO LTE i first loaded different modems from the leaked ICS builds.
    Eventually i went to FD22 (going off memory) leak of ICS 4.0.4 for the Epic Touch. It was very stable and very reliable for me.
    I went the stock root method. Very easy to do.
    You can go to xda developers forum and search for modems as well as look for ODIN stock roms to flash.
    If you need more help i might still have some of them book marked from when i used them.
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

sounds like the question of needing a new root for ICS is a yes. Something I will now do is a search to see what stuff is safe to delete and what is better left alone. As a noobie, i'm only guessing that trying to root and delete stuff and then try to get the UPDATE to go thru could lead to problems. better to go for ICS, then once a root is achieved, deleting stuff can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by akira221 View Post
    sounds like the question of needing a new root for ICS is a yes. Something I will now do is a search to see what stuff is safe to delete and what is better left alone. As a noobie, i'm only guessing that trying to root and delete stuff and then try to get the UPDATE to go thru could lead to problems. better to go for ICS, then once a root is achieved, deleting stuff can happen.
    In my opinion, if you get a E4GT soonish before the official ICS update, root your phone and flash one of the ICS ROMs over at XDA. Once you're rooted and running one of those ROMs, you won't have to worry about the update and when the official ICS is available someone will just make a ROM from that.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa