mp3 email notifications ignore volume setting

tonylmiller

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
I have my ringer volume set almost all the way down. It is one step above silent. Yet, if I set my email notification to an mp3 file that I have on my phone, the notification comes out way too loud. As if the volume was all the way up.

Does everyone have this problem, and is there a workaround for this?

I would prefer to use my own mp3 ringtone for email notification.

Thanks,

Tony

chrisingrassia

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I have my ringer volume set almost all the way down. It is one step above silent. Yet, if I set my email notification to an mp3 file that I have on my phone, the notification comes out way too loud. As if the volume was all the way up.

Does everyone have this problem, and is there a workaround for this?

I would prefer to use my own mp3 ringtone for email notification.

Thanks,

Tony

Similar issue currently with FL16. I'll put my phone on mute via the bar pulldown toggles, open up Family Feud game and the media music starts blasting :). Caught gaming at the office!! I wish I could set all my volumes independently, but when I toggle to vibrate, all it does is vibrate, and if i mute toggle, it mutes every single notification.

richardodn

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Android has two independently set audio streams; media and system. Muting the system volume does not affect media and vice-versa. In the OP's case, the notification used the media player to play the mp3 stream and so it used the media volume. It's not a bug. It's just the way it works.

djarchow

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Android has two independently set audio streams; media and system. Muting the system volume does not affect media and vice-versa. In the OP's case, the notification used the media player to play the mp3 stream and so it used the media volume. It's not a bug. It's just the way it works.

Thanks for the response. At least on my Note 2 with Jelly Bean, muting the media volume doesn't impact an mp3 notification at all. Muting the notification volume will mute the mp3 notification. The problem is that none of the volume sliders give you any control over the notification mp3 volume other than mute. It is either as loud as the note can play it or completely silent.