WiFi turning on sporadically

rrtucson

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
My WiFi is turning on spontaneously on my Evo 4g. I received a message on my Evo from Sprint several weeks ago informing me that using WiFi (where available) rather than the Sprint network "would improve battery life". It seemed to start happening after a recent software update. Perhaps Sprint is trying to decrease use of internet on its network by automatically turning on WiFi ? I cannot determine how to stop this automatic turning-on of WiFi.

rrtucson

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
In answer to my own question, above, it appears that Sprint included a "Sprint Connections Optimizer" feature during its recent update. This feature, if checked, will allow the phone to periodically scan for WiFi and connect to it, preferentially, if WiFi is detected. Sprint claims this saves battery charge and allows data transfer during phone calls. It can be disabled as follows: Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile NETWORKS (NOT Mobile Network)> Automatic Connections: there,uncheck the box at the top of the screen that says "Sprint Connections Optimizer". In my experience, my battery was draining faster while connected to my WiFi network at home.

beirutvet

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for you feedback. It worked perfectly and you were correct, it was a Sprint Upgrade. When I am at work, I have no WiFi access so I use 4G. With wireless connecting itself, I would have wireless and 4G running at the same time....HUGE power drain. Thanks again for your feedback.

Horace Steenblatter

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
My s2 started randomly turning on the Wifi recently as well. I found the option to turn it off under

Settings>Wireless and network>Mobile networks>Connections optimizer, and then I unchecked the box. So a slightly different place in the menu than the previous example for the Evo.

Jennifer Kodatt

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for replying back with the answer! I was having my Wifi turn on sporadically as well, especially when I used my phone charger and put it on charge, all of sudden Wifi is on! But your answer really helped, THANKS!

Claymerica

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
In answer to my own question, above, it appears that Sprint included a "Sprint Connections Optimizer" feature during its recent update. This feature, if checked, will allow the phone to periodically scan for WiFi and connect to it, preferentially, if WiFi is detected. Sprint claims this saves battery charge and allows data transfer during phone calls. It can be disabled as follows: Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile NETWORKS (NOT Mobile Network)> Automatic Connections: there,uncheck the box at the top of the screen that says "Sprint Connections Optimizer". In my experience, my battery was draining faster while connected to my WiFi network at home.

Oh. Thank you.Thank you. Thank you. Been driving me nuts. I'd have better 3G signal then wifi and it would connect to wifi. Hopefully this was what was causing my phone to act possessed too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11