How risky will it be to update to ICS right away?

tonylmiller

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
I do not want to have problems with my phone, so I am thinking of waiting a week or so, which would give me some time to see if others are having problems.

What do you think? I don't normally like being one of the first to upgrade.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I would wait a while, and read the reviews from the ones who did the update. I do not do the updates when they are first released.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ff18 has been out for a few weeks now so you can dig around and see how it is. I have been running it for a week and the benefits outweigh the few bugs.

As for bugs I've had a visual bug with the task launcher where it shows the current screen on the bottom until down to 3 tasks or less. Hard to explain without seeing it and doesn't affect anything. I get frequent freezes with wifi where I have to turn wifi off and back on again real quick to get it going again. This one is a little bothersome. I have also has to are add my quick camera links in the camera app 3 times already. Somehow it keeps forgetting what I put on the bar and resets to default.

That's really all I've noticed so far. GPS is much improved as well as all the google apps with ICS(talk, Gmail, YouTube, google+). Rotation animations are nice and can be speed controlled in developer options. Swype keyboard is improved. Browser is much improved. Everything is just all around better and faster. Battery life suffered for me at first really bad til I found dolphin sonar was the culprit, now it is back to normal. Btw with the sprint id app you can run the stock ics launcher which is awesome.

dlwicksell

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Ff18 has been out for a few weeks now so you can dig around and see how it is. I have been running it for a week and the benefits outweigh the few bugs.

As for bugs I've had a visual bug with the task launcher where it shows the current screen on the bottom until down to 3 tasks or less. Hard to explain without seeing it and doesn't affect anything. I get frequent freezes with wifi where I have to turn wifi off and back on again real quick to get it going again. This one is a little bothersome. I have also has to are add my quick camera links in the camera app 3 times already. Somehow it keeps forgetting what I put on the bar and resets to default.

That's really all I've noticed so far. GPS is much improved as well as all the google apps with ICS(talk, Gmail, YouTube, google+). Rotation animations are nice and can be speed controlled in developer options. Swype keyboard is improved. Browser is much improved. Everything is just all around better and faster. Battery life suffered for me at first really bad til I found dolphin sonar was the culprit, now it is back to normal. Btw with the sprint id app you can run the stock ics launcher which is awesome.

One question I have is are you still able to use text reflow in the browser? I have read disturbing posts that the browser in the Galaxy S III no longer has that. I'm hoping that it is not related to ICS, and that we will still retain that with ICS on the Galaxy S II. Thank you.

DEF3NDER

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Will you please explain to me what text reflow is? I see it mentioned a lot and I don't have a clue.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

dlwicksell

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Will you please explain to me what text reflow is? I see it mentioned a lot and I don't have a clue.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Sure, text reflow means that when you zoom into a web page, the text will automatically wrap, instead of just displaying part of the text, and forcing you to have to move around to read it.

So for example, if you have 10 words per line of text, and you zoom in and your text gets bigger, with text reflow, it may wrap/reflow the text so that you now only have 5 words per line of text, which will create more lines. You won't have to pan around in order to read it.

To me, it is one of the most important features of a smart phone. Hope that helps.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
If you've waited this long, what's a few more days? I was one of the impatient folks who jumped the gun and flashed the leaked Froyo on my OG EVO only to have a 2nd version come out a few days later and leaving us waiting a few weeks for the patch to undo what we'd done. It didn't really break anything, so it wasn't a showstopper, but patience.

I've had my phone for 281 days. A few more to make sure nothing has changed between FF18 and now and to get a rooted ODIN One-Click won't kill me.

nabril1569

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
For those of us that are rooted, do we need to return to stock? Sorry for the ignorant question, but it's better to spell it out clearly for all to read.
If yes, how do we return to stock EL29?

Thanks

tonylmiller

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Nabril, I would recommend reading the stickies in the "rooting" forum. There are no short answers. You need to make sure you do things properly or you could brick your phone, unless I am mistaken.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
One question I have is are you still able to use text reflow in the browser? I have read disturbing posts that the browser in the Galaxy S III no longer has that. I'm hoping that it is not related to ICS, and that we will still retain that with ICS on the Galaxy S II. Thank you.
Auto-fit web pages is still there but it doesn't work the same. It picks one size to fit text. I have been using the chrome browser almost exclusively though and in both you can change the text scaling.

Reactions: dlwicksell

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
For those of us that are rooted, do we need to return to stock? Sorry for the ignorant question, but it's better to spell it out clearly for all to read.
If yes, how do we return to stock EL29?

Thanks

If you are just rooted, and 100% stock, you can install the OTA update. If you have made any modifications, including removing any system apps, then out will fail.

I plan to get a guide up tomorrow on the update including a section on returning to stock in order to take the update.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

jackmoney55

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

so did you just get rid of dolphin all together?

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I installed the Odin One-Click Rooted NoData from sfhub at XDA and am getting used to it. The scrolling is goofy, but I don't think it's a bug as so many people are complaining, but rather a style change by Samsung that feels different (in a bad way) from what we're used to.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae