Official - I Received the ICS OTA Update!! Thread

byoung1989

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if it would be possible to update your phone via USB? Place file on computer HDD and then copy the install file to your phone?

Po1nt-Tak3n

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Looks like according to the xda thread it has to be placed on the root of your SD card not internal storage.

That's what I did, it's installing right now. :D It did not work when I had it on the internal storage (made possible by turning on USB debug mode, not rooting). The only option in the recovery menu related to this is "Apply update from SD Card", so that's what I did! Super stoked, I hope nothing blows up. :eek:

Po1nt-Tak3n

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
How long do I have to wait before it starts the download....I have been waiting like 10 minutes now. I have tried this download 2 times already.....just goes to a caution sign with the android guy near it. and just sits there......

Mine went to the android cuation guy for about a minute then continued on with the install. The status bar is almost full, so hopefully this worked like a charm!

Utah_Utes_Man

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Just moved the'update.zip' to the "sd_card/external_sd_card" folder. cya guys on the ICS flip side to report the manual update.

Sent from my SPH-D710

rocket321

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I updated my instructions in this thread and at XDA to put the update.zip at the root of a SDCard not Internal Storage. If you don't have a SDCard I suppose you will be out of luck until the OTA hits your phone. I do wonder how the update runs via OTA on phones w/o a SDCard though...makes no sense to me.

felipe66

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Downloaded the file from xda, installed from sd card, and it seemed to go through with no problems. Of course, now my swype keyboard doesn't work and my gmail client is not pulling emails. I'm charging now, so I'm not sure about the battery life. I am hoping there is some improvement on the GPS, it can take up to five minutes for the nav app to find the GPS while driving. Since Sprint coverage near me sucks, I will probably have to wait until I get to home wifi to play around with it. But at least I have ICS, right?? :p

Po1nt-Tak3n

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Manual update worked like a charm for me! Finally ICS!!

So far so good, all my widgets, live wallpaper, icons, etc are in order.

SD card was the only hiccup in the instructions, which have already been fixed. Thanks rocket!

Last edited:

djneph

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the file changed the name, but don't know how to do "stock recovery".

Help the noob please :) - it's ok point and laugh if you have to

caughtus

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Download file
Rename it to "update"
Move it to the root on your sd card
Unplug usb cable
Power off phone
Hold down volume up + power button till you get to the command line looking menu
Select update via SD card and use your "home" button to select it
Scroll down to "update.zip"
Select it using "home" button
At first you'll see a triangle with a caution. After about a minute you'll see a little box with an arrow coming out of it. This means it's updating.

Reactions: jboy099 and elbaso

Nmarrufo

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Just to be sure, if I manually update, will everything on the phone stay? I'm assuming it will because this is just an update but I want to be sure!

moonoverparma00

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, for the record, my battery use has always been awful. No idea why, I'm not using it to stream video or music, and have no idea what uses up the battery, but i never make it through a day on a single charge. It typically goes back on the charger within six hours of use.

Yesterday I got 14.5 hrs on my phone.

matt3166

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I got mine at about 4am, I initiated it myself.
Sadly, I am not happy about this update and wish I could go back. Many features are gone and the added ones don't make up for what is now missing or totally distorted. I expect Sprint to send out plenty of updates to fix this mess.

Screenshot: Shawna Jeneen (ShawnaJeneen) : Android 4.0.4 upgrade

What kind of things are missing? And added?
Is the manual updating the exact same as the OTA? Don't want to do what I did on my EVO that one time.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma