Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Global Posts
    924 Global Posts

Default Re: E4GT ICS Update - One Stop Shop for Information

I am using the Blazer 4.0 ROM which is on the EL29 Baseband...Am I okay then to do the update with out going back to Stock?

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by DT81 View Post
    I am using the Blazer 4.0 ROM which is on the EL29 Baseband...Am I okay then to do the update with out going back to Stock?
    Absolutely not. Any custom ROM cannot be updated by an OTA update. It will fail.

Global Posts
    924 Global Posts

I meant the manual update.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

Quote Originally Posted by DT81 View Post
    I meant the manual update.
    It's technically the same thing, so no, that would fail as well. You have to be 100% stock EL29 (only being rooted is okay) in order to install the official ICS update, either manually or via OTA.

However, you can flash the FF18 rooted ICS firmware using sfhub's Odin One-Click, and using the "Preserve User Data" version will keep your data.

Here it is if you want to go that route.

Current Device: LG G2 (D800 - AT&T)

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Hi all,I hope some one can help me on this. I bought my s2 used some months ago and discovered I have EL13, rooted, stock recovery. I'm guessing I need to flash op's el29. My question is if I can just load the flash zip to the root of my sd card and use stock recovery to flash it or do i need to do all the steps? Do I have to wipe or anything?
    Last edited by jwcivic; 07-13-2012 at 04:55 PM.

How do we take screenshots

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

The home and power button no longer works for screenshots. Anybody know how yet

8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

Quote Originally Posted by imparishilton View Post

It works. You need to hold them down for a couple seconds until you hear the camera shutter sound.

Thx again I was puzzled for a while!

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Quote Originally Posted by jwcivic View Post
    Hi all,I hope some one can help me on this. I bought my s2 used some months ago and discovered I have EL13, rooted, stock recovery. I'm guessing I need to flash op's el29. My question is if I can just load the flash zip to the root of my sd card and use stock recovery to flash it or do i need to do all the steps? Do I have to wipe or anything?
    You'd need to run the EL29 Odin One-Click first, then you can manually install the ICS update from stock recovery.
    Current Device: LG G2 (D800 - AT&T)

Quote Originally Posted by imparishilton View Post

It works, you just have to hold it a little bit longer.

EDIT: I'm SLOW on the draw. LoL!
    Last edited by Uglyfido; 07-13-2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Got ninja'd
    Oh Yeah?! Well, my mom thinks I'm cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy5111 View Post
    I used to be able to put my finger on the notification bar and see the date. I used to do that a lot. Not pull it down just hover. Now when you do that nothing happens.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    Me too.

So may great nooks and crannies the phone had are either gone now or totally screwed up.

The worst part is that you have to choose between Touch Wiz or Pure ICS and if you prefer Touch Wiz like I do, you lose most of the ICS features.

I can't live without the unread text, email and phone count, so I stick with Touch Wiz for that alone. Can't believe pure ICS doesn't have that.

OMG, you know what is a total miss?. When you get an email it shows an image in the notification bar that is usually blank. Why not do this instead for ppl who send you text messages? That is such a missed opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by colalounge View Post
    Me too.

So may great nooks and crannies the phone had are either gone now or totally screwed up.

The worst part is that you have to choose between Touch Wiz or Pure ICS and if you prefer Touch Wiz like I do, you lose most of the ICS features.

I can't live without the unread text, email and phone count, so I stick with Touch Wiz for that alone. Can't believe pure ICS doesn't have that.
    I can't believe how "un-polished" thus is. Also when you get an email notification and clock on it, it doesn't go to the email, I think it just goes to what you had open last, if you have more than one account you have to go looking for the email. And I used to love being able to hit the menu button in the browser and go right to the address bar. Now you have to manually scroll all the way up. As I predicted, I am underwhelmed by this update.

When i plug my phone into the computer i dont see my external sd card only the icon that says phone. HELP

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

I installed the manual update. Is there any way to create folders like with stock ICS? (My dh has a Galaxy Nexus and I love that you can create folders of apps.)

There is you have to go to Sprint ID app choose my ID then you get Ice Cream Sandwich stock launcher.

Sent from the Android Central Forum app. Thanks Android Central.

Question Re: E4GT ICS Update - One Stop Shop for Information

Firstly, thanks for your efforts at helping people with their questions...it helps greatly.

My question is this; if someone (i.e. ME!) doesn't have the patience to wait for the OTA notification and wants to manually do the update...is there any difference with what the manual update installs on the phone as opposed to what the OTA update installs on the phone?

Basically...will it still be ICS in all its glory irregardless of the method of install??

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

I had a great experience upgrading and the new OS is fantastic. Make sure to learn about Home screen folders. It's a game changer.

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Don't change the name to update.zip. Keep the name you had when you downloaded, copy the file to the root of your SD card and it will work. It did for me.
    Thanked by:
    Uglyfido likes this.

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

Yes, just drop the app on one of the screens. Then take the second or more apps and drop it on top of the first app you put on the screen. It automatically makes the folder and after you open it you can change the name of the folder also. Great stuff.

Global Posts
    145 Global Posts

Hate asking - but I've been searching a while - and can't find the answer.

I'm running Caulkulin's 3.0 ROM - and want to go to ICS. What are my least risky steps?

Can I Just wipe all and flash Phantom's FF18 ROM now?

Or do I have to go back to EL29 and flash something else...?

What FF18 ROM are people recommending?

Quote Originally Posted by evolvedsapien View Post
    Firstly, thanks for your efforts at helping people with their questions...it helps greatly.

My question is this; if someone (i.e. ME!) doesn't have the patience to wait for the OTA notification and wants to manually do the update...is there any difference with what the manual update installs on the phone as opposed to what the OTA update installs on the phone?

Basically...will it still be ICS in all its glory irregardless of the method of install??
    It's the exact same file so no difference.

Quote Originally Posted by DocB1973 View Post
    Don't change the name to update.zip. Keep the name you had when you downloaded, copy the file to the root of your SD card and it will work. It did for me.
    This is how I got my phone to do the manual update to ICS. I tried it with renaming it to update.zip and it would just hang. After leaving it named the way it was downloaded, it worked flawlessly. Oh, and I'm sure it's been stated before, but if you are capable of using a file manager on your phone, then there is no need to hook it up to a computer. I used Es, but that's my preference.
    Oh Yeah?! Well, my mom thinks I'm cool!

Still waiting for my ics update

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast