1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Default WiFi issue after ICS update

Hey guys not sure if any one is having WiFi issues were it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting not sure how to solve this issue I have already done afactory reset and I still have the same issue

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: WiFi issue after ICS update

Me, too. Every time I wake it up it reconnects to the router except the several times it required a toggle of the wifi switch to make the connection.

Between this and the Biblically atrocious battery life - I am seeing drain when using of 1% per MINUTE! - I am severely disappointed with ICS.

Global Posts
    64 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RickF23 View Post
    Hey guys not sure if any one is having WiFi issues were it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting not sure how to solve this issue I have already done afactory reset and I still have the same issue
    Mine was doing the same while at home last week. I did a power on/off cycle on the home wireless router, and all has been OK since.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,719 Global Posts

DO...A...FACTORY...RESET
    DO...A...FACTORY...RESET

Is this hard to understand everyone?

ATTENTION NOOBS: IF YOU UPDATED FROM EL29 GINGERBREAD TO FF18 ICE CREAM SANDWICH DO A FACTORY RESET...I REPEAT...DO A FACTORY RESET

What will a factory reset fix???
    Horrible Battery Life
    Crappy WiFi Performance
    Random Reboots
    Poor Radio Performance
    App InCompatibilty
    Lagginess
    DID I MENTION POOR BATTERY LIFE?
    DID I MENTION CRAPPY WIFI?

But wont a factory reset delete all my user data?

YES YOU WILL LOSE ALL USER DATA. THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN INORDER FOR THESE RANDOM ISSUES TO BE FIXED. BASICALLY ITS LIKE A BAND AID....JUST PULL IT OFF FAST

If Im not rooted how can I backup my apps and app data?

USE AN APP IN GOOGLE PLAY CALLED "MYBACKUP" AND ONLY BACK UP YOUR APPS.

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT BACKUP APP DATA. APP DATA FROM EL29 INTERFEARS WITH FF18 STABILITY.

Why didnt Samsung/Sprint make the update.zip wipe my user data?

THIS IS BECAUSE USERS DONT LIKE SUPRISES. SAMSUNG KNOWS THIS. DO A MANUAL WIPE.

What About the eMMC Lockup Bug?

I HAVE DID 13 FACTORY RESETS ON THE OTA FF18. MY PHONE IS STILL ALIVE. IF THIS DOES HAPPEN THEN YOU WILL GET A WARRANTY REPLACEMENT FROM SAMSUNG.

I'm going to try another factory reset BUT I need to have some Data backed up. Can I just backup everything except "System Settings"?

Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9

Haven't done a factory reset since ICS update and everything seems good for me.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by dachiefmizzy View Post
    Haven't done a factory reset since ICS update and everything seems good for me.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    +1 for this. I don't see a reason a for a factory reset unless you are having MAJOR issues. That being said, if you do find yourself having MAJOR issues, then by all means, try out that factory reset. Just remember to make that backup first.
    Oh Yeah?! Well, my mom thinks I'm cool!

Global Posts
    1,412 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

OFFS! I'm running Titanium Backup now and backing up all apps and user data - no, I'm not going to gang restore the old system apps - but does that sweep up all the various download folders, etc. I've got some saved photos I'd hate to lose. I've been saving photos to the external SD card, but want to make sure the ones on the internal SD are also protected.
    "The Nexus 5 is such a big black slab of power that if you dropped it down in the middle of a pack of monkeys, they'd start using weapons." - Dirk Belligerent.
    Devices: 32GB Nexus 5, 16GB Nexus 7 (2013), 16GB Nexus 7, 16GB Nexus 4, ASUS Transformer TF101, Kindle Fire, HP TouchPad (CM7), Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch Long Name Phone, HTC EVO 4G, Palm Pre, 64GB 1st gen iPad WiFi
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Knight2 View Post
    DO...A...FACTORY...RESET
    DO...A...FACTORY...RESET

ATTENTION NOOBS: IF YOU UPDATED FROM EL29 GINGERBREAD TO FF18 ICE CREAM SANDWICH DO A FACTORY RESET...I REPEAT...DO A FACTORY RESET

Horrible Battery Life
    Crappy WiFi Performance
    Random Reboots
    Poor Radio Performance
    App InCompatibilty
    Lagginess

YES YOU WILL LOSE ALL USER DATA. THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN INORDER FOR THESE RANDOM ISSUES TO BE FIXED. BASICALLY ITS LIKE A BAND AID....JUST PULL IT OFF FAST

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT BACKUP APP DATA. APP DATA FROM EL29 INTERFEARS WITH FF18 STABILITY.

Why didnt Samsung/Sprint make I update.zip wipe my user data?

I HAVE DID 13 FACTORY RESETS ON THE OTA FF18. MY PHONE IS STILL ALIVE. IF THIS DOES HAPPEN THEN YOU WILL GET A WARRANTY REPLACEMENT FROM SAMSUNG.
    I've done two factory reset and formatted the internal storage as well to make sure everything is good

I had to redo this post because the wifi disconnected and reconnected when i clicked on reply
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,719 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiyomi View Post
    I'm going to try another factory reset BUT I need to have some Data backed up. Can I just backup everything except "System Settings"?
    Wipe it ALL.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,719 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RickF23 View Post
    I've done two factory reset and formatted the internal storage as well to make sure everything is good

I had to redo this post because the wifi disconnected and reconnected when i clicked on reply
    Idk why cause my wifi is stronger then ever. FF18 WiFi is freaking awesome compared to EL29

Does anyone know if i have to do a factory reset after installing the ICS update? Just wondering

Did not work Dark! Still having wifi stopping and stopping data even though the icon says its connected. have to restart wifi again in order to get it to work and data to start flowing again. Sprint just told me they are releasing a fix for the bad ICS!

Quote Originally Posted by bluemagicx View Post
    Did not work Dark! Still having wifi stopping and stopping data even though the icon says its connected. have to restart wifi again in order to get it to work and data to start flowing again. Sprint just told me they are releasing a fix for the bad ICS!
    You cannot believe anything Sprint says. They will "Yes" you to death just to shut you up.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I had lags after ICS upgrade. Then I did a factory reset. No more lags but the wifi connectivity was still abnormal. And I noticed that the phone remembered all the previous wifi networks it has connected to. I hit "Forget all network" and rebooted the phone. Now it's wait and see.

Hello guys, I have the same issue as yours... After the upgrade to ics, wifi keeps disconnecting. I have tried various fixes like reboot router/mobile, system restore in my mobile, but nothing changes... If any of you solve the problem, please post the solution! I am using WPA2 mixed security for my wireless, I tried also without security but still the same problem...

Found this fix, for any of you that have Sansung device:
    For me it is not working, I am wondering if there is such MMI code for HTC devices, this code doesn't work to my HTC...

Here is what worked for me regarding Wi-Fi dropping, scanning and restarting (which really drains the battery fast. Go to Wi-Fi settings, long select your Wi-Fi network. Tick the box advanced. Change the frequency from auto to 2.5 MHz. I know my Wi-Fi network is not 5 MHz so this is fine for me. If yours is 5 MHz then try that. It is having he setting to Auto that really seems to cause the issue. Since I did this Wi-Fi seems to stay on without a hiccup.

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

I have been having issues with my WIFI since I upgraded to ICS. I have done two factory resets and although that did fix the battery issue.. I am still losing my WIFI signal. It seems like the moment it goes idle... definitely less than 30 minutes... I lose my WIFI connection. I have WIFI set to stay on ALWAYS during sleep.. but it seems to not do that. I thought it had to do with ICS but the other day I was at a friends for a party and I connected to her wifi. I stayed connected all night long never once did I lose my connection. The only difference between the two houses is our router. Now I am wondering if it is my Linksys router that is the issue. I am using the E4200 Linksys wireless router. Of course I have asked them and they say it is not them.

Any suggestions?

Kim Huff
    Indianapolis, IN
    SPH-D710 (Sprint)

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

i'm having similar issues. my wifi turns itself ON, even after i've turned it off. i think this only happens when i am charging it, which just makes it all the weirder. ugh.

and it drains the already horrible battery life even more. sheesh. i have never felt more like i was sold a bill of goods, and ending up with a lemon. every update seems to make things worse.. :o/

This has also happened with me, specifically the issue where my phone says I am connected to wifi but wifi does not work. In order to get wifi working again I have to turn it off then back on. This started to happen after the update to ICS.

Now thinking this was an ICS bug I completely wiped my phone and reformatted everything including the internal storage. I then proceeded to flash a CM 10.1 mod. The Feb 15th build of this particular one to be exact . But doing this did not seem to solve the problem. Although now I could tell when wifi was not going to work as the wifi indicator would be grayed out. What is odd is that the triangles within the wifi indicator would still indicate data being sent and received.

Next I looked at my router being the potential culprit, a linksys wrt54g v4. So I proceeded to flash Tomato to the router. All seemed fine and dandy for the rest of the evening and even when I woke up in the morning. After I returned home from work all seemed fine for about an hour until the problem showed back up, just to clarify this problem also shows up on the wifi at my work place.

So as of now I am still dealing with this issue. It is frustrating because every other device that uses wifi in my house does not have this issue. I even own a nexus 7 which has never encountered this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Knight2 View Post
    DO...A...FACTORY...RESET
    DO...A...FACTORY...RESET

Horrible Battery Life
    Crappy WiFi Performance
    Random Reboots
    Poor Radio Performance
    App InCompatibilty
    Lagginess

Why didnt Samsung/Sprint make the update.zip wipe my user data?

Let me let you in on a little secret.... A FACTORY RESET DOES NOT NECESSARILY FIX THE WI-FI ISSUES, OK?
    Last edited by jaypee68; 02-20-2013 at 11:47 PM.

What about when you get the device brand new out of the box running ICS with this problem? Do you still suggest a reset?