Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Quote Originally Posted by bluemagicx View Post
    Will I have to un-root the phone should they come out with a real working ICS upgrade?
    I'm going to leave it as is for now. Again, thanks so much for your help.
    No you will not need to unroot. If they issue another OTA ICS update and you decide to take it, it should install fine, and likely remove root in the process.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    2,816 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock EL29

Default Re: [GUIDE - How To] Rollback to Gingerbread (EL29)

I am officially back to GB! Yeah!!! after the failed ICS experiment, I'm now back to the land of Gingerbread! Thankfully Sprint pulled to the OTA notification for ICS too... hooray!

Can you do a walkthrough for those who do not want to root their phones but still want to rollback to el29?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

Quote Originally Posted by mrjsal22 View Post
    Can you do a walkthrough for those who do not want to root their phones but still want to rollback to el29?
    You can remove root after flashing the rooted Odin One-Click package, using sfhub's utility, as described towards the bottom of the instructions in the OP. If you do not want to flash rooted system software in the first place, you would need to manually use Odin to flash the stock unrooted system TAR.

Using the one-click then removing root afterwards offers the most "problem-free" solution. If you would really prefer to flash the stock system software package, let me know and I'll add a walk through on how to use Odin manually.
    Current Device: LG G2 (D800 - AT&T)

Although I was able to unroot using the instriuctions provided, I found that I still had a "Superuser" application icon that I couldn't remove, or so it seemed. What I was able to later figure out was that I had downloaded an update to the Superuser application from the Google Playstore. The instructions for unrooting remove the original application but not the update. I had to use the application manager to remove the update and that seems to have removed all traces of the Superuser application.
    Last edited by JohnC; 07-31-2012 at 07:38 PM.
    JohnC - Wichita, KS
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #31  

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    I went through the process of removing root as described in the OP of this thread but it did not remove the "Superuser" application. Where can I find instructions on how to do that?
    Hmmm. I'm guessing you're not able to uninstall the superuser.apk manually from application settings? I'm guessing no because it should be labeled as a system application.

1) Try rebooting

if no dice ...

2) Try running the uninstall script again

if no change ...

3) Try performing a factory reset

if no dice again, see my post below this reply.
    Last edited by JayWill72; 07-31-2012 at 03:28 PM.
    Thanked by:

I hate what ICS has done on my phone so I will definitely be peforming a clean install when I get home tonight. Thanks to all of you for helping us nOObs through these dark times!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

For those interested in using Odin to manually flash the stock unrooted EL29 system TAR, here is an instructional video from qbking77 on how to do just that.

This video is for EK02, but the process is identical. Make sure you download the EL29 TAR file linked in the video description rather than the EK02 file.

This will return you to 100% stock unrooted EL29, and eliminates the need to use sfhub's autoroot utility to remove root after flashing his Odin One-Click package. Follow qbking's video closely please, making sure to place the TAR file in the PDA slot and only having "Auto Reboot" checked in the settings. Just follow the video carefully and you will be fine.

I was able to get the phone rolled back, but am still getting "Force Close" messages.

When I boot to recovery mode, there is no option for deleting the davlic cache. I haven't removed root. Any ideas?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Quote Originally Posted by wamfac View Post
    I was able to get the phone rolled back, but am still getting "Force Close" messages.

When I boot to recovery mode, there is no option for deleting the davlic cache. I haven't removed root. Any ideas?
    If you're getting FC messages, you likely used the Preserve Data version. I'm afraid you need to wipe your data and use the Full Restore reset user data version. If have any app data you really need, download mybackup and backup and restore data for just those apps.

I was getting the force closes so..I wiped the cache and then did a factory reset.
    Didn't have to re flash and all was back to stock. I have not Unrooted yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWill72 View Post
    Some people have been unhappy with their upgrade to ICS, and have expressed interest in rolling back to Gingerbread. This guide will cover how to do just that.

The only way to roll back is to manually flash software to your phone, using Samsung's flashing utility program called Odin. Odin is a very effective and safe way to flash software to Samsung Android devices. Developer sfhub has made using Odin even easier, by creating a one-click flashing package that removes the need to manually check boxes and insert files. It's basically a plug in your phone and click a button process.

While you can use Odin to flash the original stock EL29 unrooted TAR file, I feel the process below is easier for novice users, thus the better option overall. The recommended process does have an extra step to remove root for those that want to, but again, I feel this is safer and what I personally recommend.

[INFO]Flashing Instructions

Go here:

Follow the instructions from sfhub to download and install the Samsung drivers (if you haven't already), and download the Odin one-click executable file. On this rollback, I feel it is best to use the "RESET User Data" version of the file. Once your App data has been updated to the ICS platform, you could run into issues when you roll back, so doing a clean install and reinstalling your Applications is recommended. If you have Application data your REALLY need, you can use the free version of MyBackupPro to backup your Application data. In this case, I recommend only restoring application data for those Apps you really want to save.

Continue to follow the instructions to run the Odin one-click executable, boot your phone into Download (Odin) Mode, connect it to your PC and run the flashing package. You want to make sure a yellow box pops up on the Odin screen that has a "COM" number to know your phone has successfully connected to Odin.

VIDEO WALKTHROUGH:

This video covers how to ROOT your phone, but the process is the same. The important thing is that it will show you how to use the Odin One-Click.

Thanks as always qbking77!

IMPORTANT NOTE:This process will not wipe the contents of your internal "USB" storage or your external SD card. So your pictures, videos, music and other files should be safe. However, it's always a good idea to copy those important files over to your computer just to be safe.

After running this, upon the automatic reboot you will be back on stock ROOTED EL29 Gingerbread. If you don't mind your phone being rooted, you can stop here. If you do not want your phone rooted, and want to be 100% official stock, then read on.

To remove root after the rollback, you will want to use another utility program sfhub created that he calls the "Auto Root Package".

Go here:

Follow the instruction to download the file and run the program. Once the program is loaded and your phone is connected, run OPTION B from the menu, which is listed as "Uninstall Root". This will remove superuser and busybox (i.e. root) and when your phone reboots you will be 100% stock like you just took your phone out of the box.[/INFO]

Hopefully I covered everything with this guide. Thanks once again goes out to sfhub for putting these packages together for the community. They've made everyone's lives easier.

If you have any questions on the process or if you think I've missed anything, please post here and I'll do my best to respond promptly.

Cheers!
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I can now use my bluetooth headset again and tomorrow I'm sure I will be able to sync up to my car. Now if I can easily get rid of the update notification I'd be all set!

I just did this and I am getting the following error over and over "com.android.providers.calendar".....so far I have went to Calendar Storage>Clear data
    as well as "Wipe Cache Partition" and the error is still coming up. Any suggestions, is popping up so often it almost makes the phone worse than ICS.....
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #39  

Quote Originally Posted by glennseymour1 View Post
    I just did this and I am getting the following error over and over "com.android.providers.calendar".....so far I have went to Calendar Storage>Clear data
    as well as "Wipe Cache Partition" and the error is still coming up. Any suggestions, is popping up so often it almost makes the phone worse than ICS.....
    Did you use the Full Restore version of the file or the Preserve User Data version?

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy5111 View Post
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I can now use my bluetooth headset again and tomorrow I'm sure I will be able to sync up to my car. Now if I can easily get rid of the update notification I'd be all set!
    The Fotakill APK should do the trick.

Download the zip file attached to that post, extract the APK and click it to install. Should kill the update notifications for you.

Jay,

I used Preserve User Data version!

Thanks for your help

ROM
    Calkulins E4GT.ROM.v3.0

Jay,

I used Preserve User Data version!

Thanks for your help
    The only time you use preserve data version is if your flashing or zipping within the same system like gingerbread to gingerbread or ics to ics, this will cause problems if you cross platform, like ics to gingerbread . Any one wanting to roll back to GB from ics should only use the option the wipes the data clean. There will be no issues afterwards.
    Pp.

Transmitted from the future using plasma conduit injectors.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by PanchoPlanet View Post
    The only time you use preserve data version is if your flashing or zipping within the same system like gingerbread to gingerbread or ics to ics, this will cause problems if you cross platform, like ics to gingerbread . Any one wanting to roll back to GB from ics should only use the option the wipes the data clean. There will be no issues afterwards.
    Pp.

Amen to that! My phone is once again fully functional.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  

Quote Originally Posted by PanchoPlanet View Post
    Pp.

Yep. Thanks Pancho. This is why I highly recommend the System Restore version in my instructions. In almost all circumstances, rolling back to a previous OS version requires a complete data format.
    Thanked by:

Jay,

This totally worked, thanks bro....

One thing though, the play store is not there, when you go to the web to download it to the phone, it says that its already downloaded, however, it is not in the applications at all...any ideas for this one?
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #46  

Jay,

This totally worked, thanks bro....

One thing though, the play store is not there, when you go to the web to download it to the phone, it says that its already downloaded, however, it is not in the applications at all...any ideas for this one?
    It's likely listed in your App drawer as "Market". This OS was created before Google renamed it. Load the market app and it'll upgrade on its own and change the app name and icon.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWill72 View Post
    It's likely listed in your App drawer as "Market". This OS was created before Google renamed it. Load the market app and it'll upgrade on its own and change the app name and icon.

I had market as well but the play store was in the app list. I just removed the market icon and added the play store icon. The icon worked fine to load the most recent play store but wasn't updating.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Thanks a bunch for this. Be advised, though: If you try to download "[ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710.EL29_CL852097 (EL29 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Full Restore - Rooted) - xda-developer" using Sprint's internet, you may have some problems.

I tried to download the program at least 8 times yesterday; at least 2 times from each mirror. Every time I tried to unpack the program it failed at the same point in the extract (about 20% extract, for those of you counting). I downloaded both directly to my phone and to my computer tethered to my phone. I also used multiple web browsers. I even had a friend unpack the program on his computer and upload it to a virtual drive website. When I tried to download the unpacked program, the download always failed at the same spot irrespective of what browser I used (again, at about 20% of download).

I ended up throwing up a VPN and downloading the self-extractable file. First download no problems. It worked like magic.

System: Windows 7 x64. Used both Firefox and Chrome. Used 7zip and PeaZip. Used PdaNet 3.02 to tether to my computer. It didn't work until I used CyberGhost VPN to download the program.

My phone is a Galaxy s2 and was running Android 4.0.4.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Although I was able to unroot using the instriuctions provided, I found that I still had a "Superuser" application icon that I couldn't remove, or so it seemed. What I was able to later figure out was that I had downloaded an update to the Superuser application from the Google Playstore. The instructions for unrooting remove the original application but not the update. I had to use the application manager to remove the update tRand that seems to t Gg Gg ft RT rhave removed all traces of the Superuser application.
    Td Re
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #50  

Updated the OP to emphasize the recommendation to use the System Restore version of the Odin One-Click file. You will very likely run into application FCs and other problems if you use the Preserve User Data version when you roll back..
    Thanked by:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast