[GUIDE - How To] Rollback to Gingerbread (EL29)

PanchoPlanet

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Jay,

I used Preserve User Data version!

Thanks for your help

The only time you use preserve data version is if your flashing or zipping within the same system like gingerbread to gingerbread or ics to ics, this will cause problems if you cross platform, like ics to gingerbread . Any one wanting to roll back to GB from ics should only use the option the wipes the data clean. There will be no issues afterwards.
Pp.

Transmitted from the future using plasma conduit injectors.

Reactions: JayWill

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
The only time you use preserve data version is if your flashing or zipping within the same system like gingerbread to gingerbread or ics to ics, this will cause problems if you cross platform, like ics to gingerbread . Any one wanting to roll back to GB from ics should only use the option the wipes the data clean. There will be no issues afterwards.
Pp.

Amen to that! My phone is once again fully functional.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Pp.

Yep. Thanks Pancho. This is why I highly recommend the System Restore version in my instructions. In almost all circumstances, rolling back to a previous OS version requires a complete data format.

Reactions: PanchoPlanet

glennseymour1

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Jay,

This totally worked, thanks bro....

One thing though, the play store is not there, when you go to the web to download it to the phone, it says that its already downloaded, however, it is not in the applications at all...any ideas for this one?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Jay,

This totally worked, thanks bro....

One thing though, the play store is not there, when you go to the web to download it to the phone, it says that its already downloaded, however, it is not in the applications at all...any ideas for this one?

It's likely listed in your App drawer as "Market". This OS was created before Google renamed it. Load the market app and it'll upgrade on its own and change the app name and icon.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
It's likely listed in your App drawer as "Market". This OS was created before Google renamed it. Load the market app and it'll upgrade on its own and change the app name and icon.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I had market as well but the play store was in the app list. I just removed the market icon and added the play store icon. The icon worked fine to load the most recent play store but wasn't updating.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

h8hrtr

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a bunch for this. Be advised, though: If you try to download "[ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710.EL29_CL852097 (EL29 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Full Restore - Rooted) - xda-developer" using Sprint's internet, you may have some problems.

I tried to download the program at least 8 times yesterday; at least 2 times from each mirror. Every time I tried to unpack the program it failed at the same point in the extract (about 20% extract, for those of you counting). I downloaded both directly to my phone and to my computer tethered to my phone. I also used multiple web browsers. I even had a friend unpack the program on his computer and upload it to a virtual drive website. When I tried to download the unpacked program, the download always failed at the same spot irrespective of what browser I used (again, at about 20% of download).

I ended up throwing up a VPN and downloading the self-extractable file. First download no problems. It worked like magic.

System: Windows 7 x64. Used both Firefox and Chrome. Used 7zip and PeaZip. Used PdaNet 3.02 to tether to my computer. It didn't work until I used CyberGhost VPN to download the program.

My phone is a Galaxy s2 and was running Android 4.0.4.

felixor

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Although I was able to unroot using the instriuctions provided, I found that I still had a "Superuser" application icon that I couldn't remove, or so it seemed. What I was able to later figure out was that I had downloaded an update to the Superuser application from the Google Playstore. The instructions for unrooting remove the original application but not the update. I had to use the application manager to remove the update tRand that seems to t Gg Gg ft RT rhave removed all traces of the Superuser application.

Td Re

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Updated the OP to emphasize the recommendation to use the System Restore version of the Odin One-Click file. You will very likely run into application FCs and other problems if you use the Preserve User Data version when you roll back..

Reactions: Murphy5111

papo020

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I had Ics and like everyone else i ran into issues and battery was horrible. So i rooted my phone and installed clockwork. Everything went well and i still kept on Ics just rooted. Im trying to find a Rom to use with it and can't seem to find one (maybe Im looking over it). But i was just going to roll back to GB and then install a custom Rom there. My question is since Im already rooted can i still use this method? Im not an expert at this by any means but i can follow directions. Thanks!

PanchoPlanet

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can, with option for rooted or non root. Very simple to use and safe, just make sure you ease all data when going from ICS to gb.

Pp.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Android Central Forums

HeavemyTreo

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Finished reading many of the posts here and got a little amused. I didn't root my phone, thought GB was not so bad, but I see most here had to root their phone to get ICS before the official upgrade. They have problems with the unofficial ICS and now they want to go back to GB.

I just waited it out, woke up on Monday morning, ICS update had been downloaded and I hit Update. It took about 10 minutes for the entire process, then another 10+ minutes to update all the apps that needed ICS update. The only thing I lost was my Playlists on the Player app.

My battery life seems to be a little better, the phone seems a little zippier, I like the face recognition (really quick) unless the lights are all off ;). I am having to get used to not having the contact list in the phone app, but no biggie. I do like all the UI updates and I am a happy camper.

I am posting this just to have some balance here, when someone else waits for the update and is affraid to update based on this thread. If you haven't rooted and tried to update your phone with a pre update ICS, then it appears you got trouble ahead. If you just wait, from what I see it pretty clear sailing. Not that I have ICS I am not sure I need to go out and get the SIII, just sit and wait for JB.

Wolfie:D

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Can the phone OS be rolled back to GB from ICS using an Apple computer or should it be done on a Windows PC?

It can be done via a Mac using Heimdall instead of Odin. It's a bit more involved, but in the end it does the same thing. sfhub has some Heimdall instructions in his Odin One-Click thread. If you want the process to be a bit easier, find someone who has a Windows PC you can use.

aust1nz

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this thread. To counter a post a few spots above this one, I had the original unrooted ICS and took the OTA update, only to see my battery life fall to about 8 hours without any activity. I'm back to GB and my battery life has stabilized to what it used to be - still not awesome but about 50% longer than I was seeing with the ICS updates with moderate usage.

Reactions: RebelMonster