Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree6Likes

Default Re: [GUIDE - How To] Rollback to Gingerbread (EL29)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    consider yourself lucky!

JayWill directed me to this link here to stop the update messages.

I've looked at that link a couple times now, and it's step 2 that has me confused. I have no idea what a root explorer is. Where can I get a quick explanation on where to find it, or what I need to do?
    I had no desire to know anything about how android works, no desire to learn how to hack/root/whatever my phone, but it was so worthless on ICS, I had to do something. I finally followed the video in this thread and went back to GB, and went ahead and left it rooted.
    The main thing I want to do is make sure I don't accidentally update to ICS again. But, since my phone is now rooted, I'll do some more reading on the GPS fix thread I saw a few months back as that was my only real complaint with the phone and had hoped the upgrade would have helped with that.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #77  

Quote Originally Posted by imaposer View Post
    I've looked at that link a couple times now, and it's step 2 that has me confused. I have no idea what a root explorer is. Where can I get a quick explanation on where to find it, or what I need to do?
    I had no desire to know anything about how android works, no desire to learn how to hack/root/whatever my phone, but it was so worthless on ICS, I had to do something. I finally followed the video in this thread and went back to GB, and went ahead and left it rooted.
    The main thing I want to do is make sure I don't accidentally update to ICS again. But, since my phone is now rooted, I'll do some more reading on the GPS fix thread I saw a few months back as that was my only real complaint with the phone and had hoped the upgrade would have helped with that.
    A root explorer is a File Explorer application that has the ability to access and modify the system folders on an Android device. There is a very popular root based file explorer called (drumroll), Root Explorer, but it's a paid App. ES File Explorer is free and also has the ability to access and modify root folders with a few settings changes.

You need to have the ability to copy and paste that FOTA.apk into the /system/app folder, and you need a root based file explorer to do it.
    Current Device: LG G2 (D800 - AT&T)

Quote Originally Posted by imaposer View Post
    to add onto what JayWill said, in order for you to be able to get into your system folder and to move a file there, you need to do the following in the es file explorer settings:

enable root explorer, mount the file system and grant access to the super user (iirc).

I've had that file copied over for a day now and haven't received and update request once.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaholik View Post
    Jay,

Easiest way to disable update after doing a shfub odin one click to EL29 rooted is to download terminal emulator and type a few simple command. I am happily running Calk 2.8.1 and have disable update so I don't get those pesky notification.

For more info:

i tried this last night and it didn't work. terminal emulator worked but in his guide he says after that to accept the ics download. i did this....it froze about 1/3rd the way through, i rebooted but it didn't kick me back to the screen to clear the cache. i even tried rebooting holding volume button up which usually gets me to that screen. it wouldn't work. it kept restarting the download and freezing in same spot. i had to completely reinstall gingerbread. i had my phone rooted with his one step EL29+CWM. not sure why it didn't work.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

mine hung up right at the end, now odin doesn't recognize my s2 and neither does my pc. i get a "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please selected recovery mode in Kies & try Again" error message when powering up the phone. i can get to download mode but it doesn't connect to pc. tried a couple different pcs and cables. guess i'll take it to sprint today and they'll replace it since i have insurance.

I can't thank you enough for posting this. Talk about a life saver.

I did the rollback process - however I was not able to unroot with the procedures given and I also have an issue going on the net with my phone now - any advise or help would be great btw I'm a total noob - nevermind I reinstalled and everything works fine now - thanks to the peeps that made this happen and keep up the good work!
    Last edited by p8ntballa; 08-25-2012 at 08:12 AM.
    rgomez8731 likes this.

I waited, got ICS through the official upgrade, and it sucks. Nothing to do with rooting or an unofficial install. Thus, going back to GB.

Quote Originally Posted by delrayb View Post
    I waited, got ICS through the official upgrade, and it sucks. Nothing to do with rooting or an unofficial install. Thus, going back to GB.
    You won't be disapointed. I did the process a week and a half ago. GB is good, but after a few days on GB, I switched to CM9 ICS and it is great, IMO.

Jay said in another post it is what ICS is supposed to be. QFT!

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

Could this be done for motorola razr maxx??
    thanks!!
    great work by the way!!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #86  

Quote Originally Posted by sfes786 View Post
    Could this be done for motorola razr maxx??
    thanks!!
    great work by the way!!
    Sorry no. This method only works for the Samsung GSII Epic 4G Touch on Sprint.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Device: LG G2 (D800 - AT&T)
    Thanked by:

Thanks so much for the guide! It's was simple, even for a noob like myself. Will you all share your battery life results if you downgraded (really upgraded :P) from ICS? Mine was completely awful with ICS.

Hi, I am contemplating of rolling back to GB on my SG2 as well due to ICS killing my battery within 8 hrs of standby But before i did that i wanted to know if i rolled back to GB with Root access, when the JB update comes around will I still be able to automatically recieve and apply the update via the OTA service from sprint? AND what is the difference between rooting the phone with ICS rather than rolling back to GB and then rooting it and then adding the CM9 ROM thing?? Thanks for taking time out and reading my questions I am very new to the whole Rooting/Flashing/ROM scene and thus didnt want to do something too quickly and regret it later!
    Last edited by Quicsilver87; 12-12-2012 at 09:30 PM.

on ICS: 6 Hrs StandBy and phone dies...3 Hrs oF moderate. But ever since i rolled back, now i get 12 hrs Standby and 8 Hrs Moderate use!

hi, is there anyway to roll back to gingerbread after upgrading to ics on a moto atrix 2? please help, hate my phone after updating to ics.

please help. is there anyways to roll back to gingerbread on a moto atrix 2?? most things say no, but it seems like if it were rooted you could. please help, im am novice so def will need help, thank you, let me know

لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
    There is no god but Allah and Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah

Rolled back to GB and battery life is much improved. Phone seems to run apps quicker too. Thanks to the OP....this thread is a life saver.

Hi, used this guide, everything went smooth but after root has no 3g data at all? any solutions?

Thanks for the post, I really appreciate it. I made the mistake of trying to root my Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G (SPH-D710) without realizing that the "Zedomax_Kernel.TAR" file that I used was bad. I'm going to try to find root information for another root, and hopefully I won't have to do this again. And just for the well-being of other users, if you plan to root the same phone, DO NOT use the file listed on . The file I used from there bricked my phone. Thanks again for the post!

Also, does anyone have a link for good instructions on a good root for this phone?
    Last edited by SeanMS; 01-15-2013 at 09:13 PM.

I cant get into my contacts without it fcing it

Does anybody have a wifi tether app that you are currantly using that works?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    18 Global Posts

Im a total noob when it comes to this technical phone stuff and was wondering if I could get help in this thread..

I had ICS on my Galaxy S2 SPH-D710.But it caused my phone to go haywire at times,auto restart like 10x's in a row and drain the battery.So I downloaded a Jelly Bean update off the Samsung SPH-D710 webpage.The update stalled and now the phone wont boot.I get the yellow triangle error sign only. I cannot get to the hard reset/ factory reset options(holding down Vol-down and power) as it just keeps going to the yellow triangle sign.

Ive tried this Odin full restore 1-click exe and it gets all the way to the end,but keeps failing at "MODEM"....is there anything I can do to fix that?
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by gimbo22 View Post
    Im a total noob when it comes to this technical phone stuff and was wondering if I could get help in this thread..

I had ICS on my Galaxy S2 SPH-D710.But it caused my phone to go haywire at times,auto restart like 10x's in a row and drain the battery.So I downloaded a Jelly Bean update off the Samsung SPH-D710 webpage.The update stalled and now the phone wont boot.I get the yellow triangle error sign only. I cannot get to the hard reset/ factory reset options(holding down Vol-down and power) as it just keeps going to the yellow triangle sign.

Ive tried this Odin full restore 1-click exe and it gets all the way to the end,but keeps failing at "MODEM"....is there anything I can do to fix that?

I bought the same phone with the same problem.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234