[GUIDE - How To] Rollback to Gingerbread (EL29)

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Some people have been unhappy with their upgrade to ICS, and have expressed interest in rolling back to Gingerbread. This guide will cover how to do just that.

The only way to roll back is to manually flash software to your phone, using Samsung's flashing utility program called Odin. Odin is a very effective and safe way to flash software to Samsung Android devices. Developer sfhub has made using Odin even easier, by creating a one-click flashing package that removes the need to manually check boxes and insert files. It's basically a plug in your phone and click a button process.

While you can use Odin to flash the original stock EL29 unrooted TAR file, I feel the process below is easier for novice users, thus the better option overall. The recommended process does have an extra step to remove root for those that want to, but again, I feel this is safer and what I personally recommend.

[INFO]Flashing Instructions

Go here: [ODIN][TAR] SPH-D710.EL29_CL852097 (EL29 Modem/Kernel/ROM - Full Restore - Rooted) - xda-developers

Follow the instructions from sfhub to download and install the Samsung drivers (if you haven't already), and download the Odin one-click executable file.

[warn]On this rollback, I feel it is best to use the "RESET User Data" System Restore version of the file. Once your App data has been updated to the ICS platform, you will very likely run into issues when you roll back, so doing a clean install and reinstalling your Applications is recommended. If you have Application data you REALLY need, you can use the free version of MyBackupPro to backup your Application data. In this case, I recommend only restoring application data for those Apps you really want to save.[/warn]

Continue to follow the instructions to run the Odin one-click executable, boot your phone into Download (Odin) Mode, connect it to your PC and run the flashing package. You want to make sure a yellow box pops up on the Odin screen that has a "COM" number to know your phone has successfully connected to Odin.

VIDEO WALKTHROUGH:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7pWjmKCsoc

This video covers how to ROOT your phone, but the process is the same. The important thing is that it will show you how to use the Odin One-Click.

Thanks as always qbking77!

IMPORTANT NOTE:This process will not wipe the contents of your internal "USB" storage or your external SD card. So your pictures, videos, music and other files should be safe. However, it's always a good idea to copy those important files over to your computer just to be safe.

After running this, upon the automatic reboot you will be back on stock ROOTED EL29 Gingerbread. If you don't mind your phone being rooted, you can stop here. If you do not want your phone rooted, and want to be 100% official stock, then read on.

To remove root after the rollback, you will want to use another utility program sfhub created that he calls the "Auto Root Package".

Go here: [ROOT][NCIQ][EG30/EG31/EK02] Auto root your existing stock ROM (w/o ODIN/ROM Flash) - xda-developers

Follow the instruction to download the file and run the program. Once the program is loaded and your phone is connected, run OPTION B from the menu, which is listed as "Uninstall Root". This will remove superuser and busybox (i.e. root) and when your phone reboots you will be 100% stock like you just took your phone out of the box.[/INFO]

Hopefully I covered everything with this guide. Thanks once again goes out to sfhub for putting these packages together for the community. They've made everyone's lives easier.

If you have any questions on the process or if you think I've missed anything, please post here and I'll do my best to respond promptly.

Cheers!

Last edited:

anon(482205)

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting this, Jay, as I do plan to roll back to EL29 as soon as FF18 is pushed to my replacement phone I got from Sprint on Monday. I went there to complain about the new ICS build and their only solution was to replace my phone with a refurbed unit that still had EL29 on it. :mad: In my opinion, the roll out of FF18 on the Epic 4G is nothing short of an epic failure.

I do have a question. After I rollback to EL29, will my phone still receive notifications from Sprint that an upgrade is available? If so, how do I turn that off?

I've read a little about the 'FOTAKill' application that supposedly handles this, but it's unclear if the FOTAKill app is included with the EL29 root build or if it will be required after the fact. I've asked on the xda developers forum but no one has responded.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
FOTAkill is not included and yes you will receive update notification pop-ups. Update notification killing has been pretty dead since the update from EK02 to EL29, so I'm really fuzzy on the best way currently to disable the annoying notifications. Once a nice easy confirmed method pops up I'll add it to the OP.

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks again Jay, as well as sfhub, and qbking77, both of whom have made things quite a bit easier for most of us.

RebelMonster

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Jay,
Thank you so much for this guide! You have saved my phone from ICS hell! I rolled back my phone to Gingerbread EL29 and couldn't be happier.
Now, I'm a complete NOOB when it comes to this kind of thing, so tell me what are the advantages of leaving it rooted? Should I let it remain rooted, or should I follow the last part of the guide where you linked to steps to remove root access?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Well, staying rooted could have it's benefits. If you were to purchase Titanium Backup (incredible root only backup application), you could use it to backup all your apps and data, uninstall system bloatware Apps you simply don't use (like Sprint zone, Sprint ID, Kies Air, etc.) and if you want them back in the future, simply use TB to restore them with a couple clicks.

Also, having access to the system folders can be nice. Have a nice ringtone or notification sound in a .wav or .ogg format? Copy and paste it right in /system/media/audio/ringtones or .../audio.notifications. Little things like that are nice.

There are a lot of nice simple benefits you can get with a rooted phone. If you never do any of this, you'll probably never even notice your phone is rooted.

Downside? If you ever have to take your phone in for service, a Sprint tech may hassle you. Or he/she may high five you and ask you how to flash CM9. It all depends on who you get behind the counter. Still, removing root for a time like that is a snap.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Jay,

Easiest way to disable update after doing a shfub odin one click to EL29 rooted is to download terminal emulator and type a few simple command. I am happily running Calk 2.8.1 and have disable update so I don't get those pesky notification.

For more info:

[How-To] Disable System Updates & Clear Notification - xda-developers

Ahh thanks Aqua. I remember that now. However, I don't know if the novice user would 1) want to be rooted which is required for this and 2) disable the ability to perform profile or PRL updates without having to issue another command to the phone. Still, it's a solution. I'll get it added to the OP tomorrow (my wife is giving me the evil eye atm :( ).

Rockdog97

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Jay,
Thank you so much for this guide! You have saved my phone from ICS hell! I rolled back my phone to Gingerbread EL29 and couldn't be happier.
Now, I'm a complete NOOB when it comes to this kind of thing, so tell me what are the advantages of leaving it rooted? Should I let it remain rooted, or should I follow the last part of the guide where you linked to steps to remove root access?

So you DID roll back to GB from ICS???

Let us know how that went wrt battery life and other ICS issues..

RebelMonster

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
So you DID roll back to GB from ICS???

Let us know how that went wrt battery life and other ICS issues..

Yeah, I did roll back to GB from ICS. It fixed every issue I was having with my phone. Battery life is back to normal (although the battery life wasn't my biggest issue with ICS, my phone didn't experience much of a difference). The thing that really infuriated me about ICS was just how slow and clunky the OS was. When I updated to ICS it made my phone run so much slower. And I did multiple factory resets, and it didn't help anything. But, once I followed Jay's instructions to roll back to GB, everything was back to perfectly working order as it was before I updated to ICS. I would HIGHLY recommend trying it if you're having issues with ICS. For me it was an easy choice... the negative aspects of the update far outweighed the subtle new features of ICS. :)

Rockdog97

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I did roll back to GB from ICS. It fixed every issue I was having with my phone. Battery life is back to normal (although the battery life wasn't my biggest issue with ICS, my phone didn't experience much of a difference). The thing that really infuriated me about ICS was just how slow and clunky the OS was. When I updated to ICS it made my phone run so much slower. And I did multiple factory resets, and it didn't help anything. But, once I followed Jay's instructions to roll back to GB, everything was back to perfectly working order as it was before I updated to ICS. I would HIGHLY recommend trying it if you're having issues with ICS. For me it was an easy choice... the negative aspects of the update far outweighed the subtle new features of ICS. :)

Cool..I think I'm going to go this route. A couple of questions though, which I dont remember if I could do them with GB.. but is there a way to make Folders for apps within the Applications windows? I know with ICS, I can drag and drop apps and make folders..just not sure this is also a feature of GB?

RebelMonster

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Cool..I think I'm going to go this route. A couple of questions though, which I dont remember if I could do them with GB.. but is there a way to make Folders for apps within the Applications windows? I know with ICS, I can drag and drop apps and make folders..just not sure this is also a feature of GB?

Yeah, GB does have that feature.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Does this void the warranty??

Technically? Yes. In reality? No, not really.

What I mean by that is, I've never heard of warranty service being denied for manually flashing software to a Sprint phone. It's always possible, but unlikely. Also, if you follow the steps completely, including removing root, a Sprint technician will never be able to tell, nor would Samsung I'd wager.