Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fetterjohn
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    2,862 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock EL29

Default Saving Apps to MicroSD Card

I read in a recent review of the new ScanDisc 16GB card the following:

"Unlike earlier versions of the Android OS, you canít choose to install apps to the microSDHC card on the Galaxy S3."

Since the S III uses ICS, does that mean us that have updated from GB to ICS can no longer choose to install apps to the MicroSD card?

If not, how do we install apps to the SD card if we have ICS?

Default Re: Saving Apps to MicroSD Card

Quote Originally Posted by Rockdog97 View Post
    I read in a recent review of the new ScanDisc 16GB card the following:

"Unlike earlier versions of the Android OS, you canít choose to install apps to the microSDHC card on the Galaxy S3."

Since the S III uses ICS, does that mean us that have updated from GB to ICS can no longer choose to install apps to the MicroSD card?

If not, how do we install apps to the SD card if we have ICS?
    You can...go into settings>applications>choose the application you want to move and press "move to sd card". Some applications still cannot be moved to the SD card, so don't be upset if some don't provide that option.

It's that simple.

Yes, but it just moves it to the internal "SD Card" memory and not the external SD card. This only helps if you're running out of room on the 2GB app partition (a remnant from the GB days). If you were on a native ICS device, it wouldn't even have that option.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobravision View Post
    Yes, but it just moves it to the internal "SD Card" memory and not the external SD card. This only helps if you're running out of room on the 2GB app partition (a remnant from the GB days). If you were on a native ICS device, it wouldn't even have that option.
    Really?? I guess I never noticed that. What is the point of calling the internal HD an "SD Card" when an SD card is a specific product that is specifically not built in HD space?

I'm baffled

As Gerry explained on the podcast, the designation, "SD Card" is a mount point and because of legacy compatibility with apps, they still call the on board storage memory "SD Card".

As Gerry explained on the podcast, the designation, "SD Card" is a mount point and because of legacy compatibility with apps, they still call the on board storage memory "SD Card".
    Thank you, I guess the idea now is to move all apps to the "SD Card" and make sure that all pictures, movies and other stuff remains on the "external SD Card".

Not-so-smart guys like me don't understand that designation...so I hope my confusion within this post helps the others in the long run.
    Thanked by:
    Maxium likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    2,862 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock EL29

thay explains why all my apps, photos etc that were on my "SD Card" were deleted when i did a factory reset to try and improve my battery life. That sucks.
    Last edited by Rockdog97; 07-20-2012 at 06:44 PM.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    2,862 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock EL29

under "Storage" how do you know what is on the external Sd card?
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    2,862 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock EL29

Quote Originally Posted by fetterjohn View Post
    Thank you, I guess the idea now is to move all apps to the "SD Card" and make sure that all pictures, movies and other stuff remains on the "external SD Card".

Not-so-smart guys like me don't understand that designation...so I hope my confusion within this post helps the others in the long run.
    im with you on that!

Android noob here... I just got an external microSDHC card and I was hoping I could move apps onto the external HD card. But looking at this thread it seems this is not possible. Can someone confirm this? Or explain how to move an app to the external HD? Thanks!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    2,862 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock EL29

I moved several apps to the SD Card.. from the Applications menu under Settings. I then shut the phone off, removed the SD card then turned the phone back on... all the apps that I moved to the "SD Card" did not show up on the phone, thus they really were on the "SD Card". There is no option to select "external SD Card" when moving apps...

However... when I open My Files, I can't seem to locate the apps that I moved to the SD Card.. I open the "external_sd" folder but they are not in there..

This is confusing....
    Last edited by Rockdog97; 07-24-2012 at 06:40 PM.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    2,862 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock EL29

what is usbStorage then?

Usb storage is on board storage. It will get wiped if you perform a factory reset.

Make sure all your files are in the external_sd folder before performing a factory reset. That's the mount point for the external sd card.

ive installed numerous apps to my external card from the apps manager, remember we have 2gb dedicated to apps, where as the sgs3 has the full 12gb(16gb version). Their storage isnt partitioned for storage and apps its all just one.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    2,862 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock EL29

I checked my Applications and under "On SD card" it lists the apps that are on the SD card. However, this does not make sense as the listed capacity of the "sd card" shows 15MB used with 11GB free...
    My SD card (er, um.. my "external" sd card) is only 2 GB!! so what is showing up under Applications/on SD card doesn't seem to be what's actually ON my SD CARD...but maybe what's on the PHONES SD CARD -!!!

OK...now I have another question for the smart guys.

Go into Settings / Applications / On SD Card (phone storage)...

When you check an individual app...it gives an option to "Move to SD card"...click that, it says "moving"...once that is done the button then changes to "Move to phone".

So this is telling me that we can move the apps to the external SD card...

...or am I wrong??

You are not wrong

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Download the app "app and backup restore".

fetterjohn and KillBillCDP2 -
    I can see the option "Move to SD card", but I believe it does not move the app to the external SD card. It only moves it to the SD Card mount point (/sdcard), which is actually within the phone's storage. That's why my question was, how to actually move the app to the external SD card, which on my phone is /sdcard/external_sd/

At least on my E4GT, when I do the above procedure
    Settings->Applications->Manage Application->pick app->Move to SD card
    the app now shows up under the "On SD card" tab with a green check mark making it look like it's on the external SD card, but in reality it gets grayed out in my apps and is no longer available to use. If I look in the external SD card (/sdcard/external_sd/) using My Files, the app is not there!

I don't really know much about your model you might try apps2sd from market or link2sd but I believe both require your SD to be partitioned

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Global Posts
    2,862 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock EL29

Quote Originally Posted by vidroid View Post
    fetterjohn and KillBillCDP2 -
    I can see the option "Move to SD card", but I believe it does not move the app to the external SD card. It only moves it to the SD Card mount point (/sdcard), which is actually within the phone's storage. That's why my question was, how to actually move the app to the external SD card, which on my phone is /sdcard/external_sd/

At least on my E4GT, when I do the above procedure
    Settings->Applications->Manage Application->pick app->Move to SD card
    the app now shows up under the "On SD card" tab with a green check mark making it look like it's on the external SD card, but in reality it gets grayed out in my apps and is no longer available to use. If I look in the external SD card (/sdcard/external_sd/) using My Files, the app is not there!
    That was my same concern, since when I looked at the apps under "sdcard" it showed I had like 11 GB of free space.. my "external sd Card" is only 2GB, thus I do NOT believe apps get transferred to the external sd card... although I did notice that my photos that I had on my sd card were not visible when I removed the sd card and re-booted the phone, so at least some information/files can be moved to the sd card...

Yes, photos and videos can be moved to the external SD card. You can also choose this option in your camera settings and they will be automatically saved to the external SD. Files can be moved there using the file manager. But as far as I can tell, apps cannot actually be moved to the external SD on my phone (unrooted GB).

I don't think apps2sd moved files to the external sd card in GB either. The api recognizes "sdcard" as the internal storage space rather than the actual sd card. Note that the only reason for this function in the first place was because initial Android devices only had an on board app partition that was tiny in many cases and the only storage was the SD card. My Evo 4G only had 512mb, but after taking space for bloatware, it was really only 380mb usable.

The photo app is designed to write specifically to the external sd card. Then again, it's a Samsung app, so they knew exactly where the real sd card was. The other apps can't make that distinction.

Im sorry for Thread jacking, but have a Q.

I DONT want to move my apps to my extsdcard.

When I dl an app from the apstore it saves to my GT2's internal storage labeled "sdcard"
    In this case, lets say its a higher end Videogame that has an initial dl of 200mb.
    The first time I use this app, it will start a download for the rest of the games Files, which could be anywhere from say another 200mb- ?. Normaly this additional data would be stored on an sdhc card if available rather then going strait to your internal storage. Unfortunatly, most apps recognise your external storage as "sdcard" rather then extsdcard, and so inadvertantly the game files get saved to your internal storage, rather then your true external storage.
    All this seems to be because the GT2 has labeled their internal storage as the main sdcard.

Sadly, most apps dont let you set the destination for the additional data dl once the app is initiated.

This data, along with Game save files etc, should be going to the true external sd. Is there a way for me to correct this issue, and get the data to be saved to the storage card as intended. Only the launcing application should be forcably stored on internal storage.

AGAIN, I DONT want to move the APP to the external sdcard. and I dont want to Root my device.

Thanks, really appreciate it.
    Last edited by Taunting; 07-28-2012 at 09:18 PM.

Try moving your apps to sdcard, then via PC, you may find the destination of your moved apps. Copy/Cut the folder along with the apps you want to move/copy then "paste" it in your external sdcard. But I guess it would only work for rooted phone .