Please delete thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff1974w

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
**please delete thread**

>>>nobody believes my statement to be true bout the ota being cancelled so i am closing it down due to possibilty of a flame war.

i never said that i dont believe you...I WANT TO BELIEVE YOU!!!

it would benifit me and other users if you would provide your source thats all.

i see you posted that it came from inside sources.

Stearmandriver

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Dude, I'm with you that most of these problems are fixable by a factory reset, and/or wiping cache and dalvik. But of course it's ridiculous to expect an average user to understand that, or want to learn how to do it. They shouldn't have to. It's another example of why people perceive Apple as "just working". Yeah, it's a dumbed down smart phone, but you don't have to deal with this kind of stuff!

As an aside, can anyone comment on exactly why this update was so great for our phone? Mine is running fine, but it's using almost twice the memory of gingerbread. This leads to a bit more UI lag then before. Isn't an OS update supposed to be LESS bloated and MORE optimized? Seems to me they dropped the ball

Rockdog97

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
It did for me. Im running FF18 without any issues. Battery life is A+. Im not sure if all the whiners that got the update pulled realized that you can disable apps in the system partition without root. I also went into settings....developer options and set my device to only allow 1 process to run in the background. Ive sent my screen brightness to 60% and forced 2D Hardware Acceleration in apps. I average 16 hours of super heavy use. 4.7 hours of screen on time and 50-60 mins of talk time. If most users sat down to figure stuff out and not throw a fit and whine like a 10 yr old girl going thru her first period then this ICS Update would have been a full success.

The problem is that "most users" have no clue what the developer settings do and the documentation that comes with the phone does a lousy job of explaining these things.

This is the first time that i've heard about changing any of the developer settings, since I had/have no idea what these things do. I've reset some of them and will see how it goes.

Thanks for the tips for sure!!

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I have since deleted my accusation to allow you time to respond via pm, which you have not. Also, I am not doubting your factuality of information but the method in which you have presented it without sources and I would also not ask you to provide names or anything but to withhold information until you can provide hard evidence. This is not XDA.

Sent from my Transformer using Tapatalk 2

No pms in my inbox so far.....still waiting :confused:

Dark_Knight2

Banned
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that "most users" have no clue what the developer settings do and the documentation that comes with the phone does a lousy job of explaining these things.

This is the first time that i've heard about changing any of the developer settings, since I had/have no idea what these things do. I've reset some of them and will see how it goes.

Thanks for the tips for sure!!

Thats why android has a huge developer community. :D

Rockdog97

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I also read another poster on XDA that has the exact same scenario happened to him. He put it off until last night and his update didn't even start and he is still on EL29 with no reminder for him to update. It said his software is up to date. Waiting to here similar story but I think you are right, OTA may have been canceled.

That's interesting. On Saturday, my wife got the notification that an update was available (she's actually on AT&T with a Skyrocket).. so she kept ignoring the update notification until it finally said that she could only postpone it 3 times then it would automatically update after 8 hours. So we went ahead and accepted the update, but for some reason, could not complete since it said the servers were busy. Not sure if she was able to complete the update as she's out of town at the moment.

Rockdog97

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site

:)

So, to get all the skinny on what all the different apps/processes do, me, as a "normal" user, would have to search forums like this (not that I dont mind- it's how I learn stuff).. but your average user would have no clue.

Stearmandriver

May 9, 2011
Visit site

No doubt, and you guys do great work and i appreciate the hell out of it... I love Android and hope I didn't sound otherwise. I just mean this is the kind of stuff Google-manufacturers-Carries are going to have to improve on as Android gets even more mainstream, because average users sure don't want to have to do it themselves!

At the risk of totally hijacking this thread (maybe a moot point now lol) can you expand on what 2D acceleration in apps does, and any potential downsides? Thanks!

packhntr

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Well, a short update on my battery life. I unplugged my phone at 4pm yesterday and this morning at 7:30 I was down to 89%. 21% of the 3200mah battery used up. That translates to 44.8mah/hr over a 15.5 hr period. I was on WiFi for less than 10 minutes yesterday, made a few calls and that was it. The rest of the time it was idle. I read that the new OS has a "learning curve" with the battery. If this is true, then I may be experiencing it. Unknown though. DK2, Your thoughts? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy