Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Default Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO ICS: Factory Reset Does Not Fix Battery Dra

Quote Originally Posted by wkufan92 View Post
    I know this isn't horrible battery drain but I basically have not used my phone for the last 3 hours. I had a couple of short phone calls. Check out the % loss due to the operating system. This can't be normal.
    You need to do a factory reset bad. It will drop that android os down quite significantly

I have already done a factory reset. I did it last week after I received ICS.
    yasminOBEY likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,719 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wkufan92 View Post
    I have already done a factory reset. I did it last week after I received ICS.
    Do you have lookout installed on your device or any non trusted apps downloaded?

No, I do not have lookout or any non trusted apps.

My android os was above 50% after one reset, above 30% after the second and now has not gone above 20% after my 3rd reset.

Sounds like you guys think I should do another reset. So frustrating....

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

I was having battery problems when ICS came out for the t989 so I started using the darkside rom for like a month. last week I went back to stock ICS and My battery life is fine. It's as good as it ever was with GB and that's with a stock battery. I'm going to look into getting a 3800 mah battery. I had one of those big boys on my G1 back in the day. Looks funny but man. I'd go 3-4 days without charging sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiyomi View Post
    The clue's in his sig (He's on AT&T ...)
    That was my point. Why post in the sprint forum.

My battery life hasn't changed. Still a good 8 hrs on the factory battery.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Ok, trying to determine if I really do have a problem. Gut feeling says yes. Here are my results this morning with little to no use of the phone. I can't attach the pic for some crazy reason since I am at the office.

2 hrs 15 min of discharging - Battery 92% - I think this sounds pretty good but !!!!!!!!!!

Android OS - 67% !!!!!! Anyone else think that is way too high with the phone not being used?

After OTA battery life good for 17 hours (2500mah). This morning on battery using my E4GT nonstop 3 hours...see pic.

I am the Galaxy and I
    Approve this Message.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SOLVED: ICS Upgrade - Factory Reset Does Not Fix Battery Drain-uploadfromtaptalk1343230264421.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by cqpearson View Post
    After OTA battery life good for 17 hours (2500mah). This morning on battery using my E4GT nonstop 3 hours...see pic.

I am the Galaxy and I
    Approve this Message.
    This is more what I would expect. That looks good.

But the post above and myself, still have way too much OS use. Something is causing it to just spin its wheels in the background on our phones.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  

Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch: Android Version 4.0.4
    ASUS Transformer Prime: Android Version 4.0.3
    Banned

The att gs2 has the same problems as well

Sent from the apple store using my Gs2

Default Re: SOLVED: ICS Upgrade - Factory Reset Does Not Fix Battery Drai

my battery is draining so FAST! is this ridiculous or what?! im don to two charges a day and idk what to do. will bringing it in to a local sprint store help? I love android so much it would be a shame to have to go to ios and iphone for batter life

Quote Originally Posted by nim6us View Post
    I think this might actually be working. But can I put the SD card back in??

Very true it does not fix anything.i did two factory resets and this is what i get..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SOLVED: ICS Upgrade - Factory Reset Does Not Fix Battery Drain-uploadfromtaptalk1343286091298.jpg  

I agree with the SD card being the problem.
    I took it out last night took all my pics etc, formatted it to the phone and reset the phone. Then re-added my pics and music.
    This morning everything seems to be running great (see pics) as you can see the phone is getting into deep sleep and in almost 4 hours and the battery hasn't even dropped 15% yet
    I might also add I went back to using the original Samsung charger (was using an apple charger, the actual piece you plug in the wall) that come with the phone, the charge is slower but it might have helped as well.
    The Android OS is still high but its no 60%+ anymore.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SOLVED: ICS Upgrade - Factory Reset Does Not Fix Battery Drain-uploadfromtaptalk1343322701313.jpg   SOLVED: ICS Upgrade - Factory Reset Does Not Fix Battery Drain-uploadfromtaptalk1343322718831.jpg  

Here's mine. Android OS uses more than 50% but I still get amazing battery life.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SOLVED: ICS Upgrade - Factory Reset Does Not Fix Battery Drain-screenshot_2012-07-18-10-20-05.png  

Are you rooted? Extended battery?

Quote Originally Posted by carole6m View Post
    Here's mine. Android OS uses more than 50% but I still get amazing battery life.
    Android OS will always be the highest % if the phone is idle most of the time, which seems to be the situation in your case with that screenshot. Your AOS at 50% is perfectly normal, as you can tell from your excellent battery life. If you have about 2 hours or more of screen on time, the screen will always be the highest, assuming your phone is operating normally. If you have a rogue app or some other issue that is cranking the OS, Android OS may still be abnormally high.

The stock battery graph is good for displaying a particular user experience, but it's not very good at diagnosing a problem. One of the first things I do to diagnose battery issues is to install a free App called CPU Spy. CPU Spy will help identify periods where your phone is not entering "Deep Sleep" when it should be. Then, you can use battery diagnostics programs like Better Battery Stats or Badass Battery Monitor to try to find the culprit.
    Current Device: LG G2 (D800 - AT&T)

Found the culprit for mine. Wifi wasn't sleeping. Changed it in settings. Battery seems normal for now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SOLVED: ICS Upgrade - Factory Reset Does Not Fix Battery Drain-screenshot_2012-07-26-12-51-01.png  

Apps are the primary reason for the increased battery drain. A factory reset should work if you don't restore your apps from a backup. The other option is to selectively delete apps that are likely to be heavy users of OS background processes. ICS seems to have enabled apps to use more background processing than previously in GB. That's why the OS percentage appears high relative to GB.

Quote Originally Posted by matt3166 View Post
    Are you rooted? Extended battery?

Nope. Not rooted with stock battery.

Quote Originally Posted by JayWill72 View Post
    Android OS will always be the highest % if the phone is idle most of the time, which seems to be the situation in your case with that screenshot. Your AOS at 50% is perfectly normal, as you can tell from your excellent battery life. If you have about 2 hours or more of screen on time, the screen will always be the highest, assuming your phone is operating normally. If you have a rogue app or some other issue that is cranking the OS, Android OS may still be abnormally high.

The stock battery graph is good for displaying a particular user experience, but it's not very good at diagnosing a problem. One of the first things I do to diagnose battery issues is to install a free App called CPU Spy. CPU Spy will help identify periods where your phone is not entering "Deep Sleep" when it should be. Then, you can use battery diagnostics programs like Better Battery Stats or Badass Battery Monitor to try to find the culprit.
    Yes that's what I thought. The screenshot was from when I didn't use the phone a lot. I figured if I played a lot of games or did a bunch of other stuff the % of Android OS will go down.
    With regular use it can still last at least 24 hours which is still pretty good. Before the update I could only get 19 hours at most.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast