SOLVED: ICS Upgrade - Factory Reset Does Not Fix Battery Drain

Jondroid2

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
The same thing happened to my phone after upgrading to ICS. Phone would get very hot sometimes and dump all kinds of battery juice in a matter of minutes. My OS drain was over double the drain from the screen. I'm pretty good at saving my battery but this was getting ridiculous. I had heard that a factory reset may help, so I made sure all my important stuff was backed up and took the plunge. I am so glad I did. I came home the next day with over 70% still on my battery where before I was lucky if I got home with between 20% and dead. I was able to do a reset and reinstall ICS and then reset again just for good measure. I even wiped my sd card. The only thing I put back on was my contacts from my Google account. I then hit the app store and downloaded most of my old apps from memory. If I couldn't remember them then they must not have been that important :) My phone is back to being its sleek sexy self, screaming along on Lte without a care in the world, taking everything I throw at it without even a single glitch. The only problem I have with it now is remembering to max out my settings every now and then just to be able to drain the battery to keep it cycled. This is the phone I fell in love with!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

LS14EVR

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: DO NOT UPGRADE TO ICS: Factory Reset Does Not Fix Battery Dra

The same thing happened to my phone after upgrading to ICS. Phone would get very hot sometimes and dump all kinds of battery juice in a matter of minutes. My OS drain was over double the drain from the screen. I'm pretty good at saving my battery but this was getting ridiculous. I had heard that a factory reset may help, so I made sure all my important stuff was backed up and took the plunge. I am so glad I did. I came home the next day with over 70% still on my battery where before I was lucky if I got home with between 20% and dead. I was able to do a reset and reinstall ICS and then reset again just for good measure. I even wiped my sd card. The only thing I put back on was my contacts from my Google account. I then hit the app store and downloaded most of my old apps from memory. If I couldn't remember them then they must not have been that important :) My phone is back to being its sleek sexy self, screaming along on Lte without a care in the world, taking everything I throw at it without even a single glitch. The only problem I have with it now is remembering to max out my settings every now and then just to be able to drain the battery to keep it cycled. This is the phone I fell in love with!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

How do you have LTE? This is the galaxy SII Epic 4G touch section. These phones don't have lte. Unless I missed something. :eek:

mythstery

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site

Not going to take another screen shot but my phone has been off the charger for 11hours 33 min... and im at 15% for the past hour i had the gps on using mapmyrun for my workout. Which drained the battery 26% in that hour.

wkufan92

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site

I know this isn't horrible battery drain but I basically have not used my phone for the last 3 hours. I had a couple of short phone calls. Check out the % loss due to the operating system. This can't be normal.

mythstery

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site

I know this isn't horrible battery drain but I basically have not used my phone for the last 3 hours. I had a couple of short phone calls. Check out the % loss due to the operating system. This can't be normal.

You need to do a factory reset bad. It will drop that android os down quite significantly

wkufan92

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site

I have already done a factory reset. I did it last week after I received ICS.

mythstery

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site

My android os was above 50% after one reset, above 30% after the second and now has not gone above 20% after my 3rd reset.

wkufan92

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site

Sounds like you guys think I should do another reset. So frustrating....

kn0t

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

I was having battery problems when ICS came out for the t989 so I started using the darkside rom for like a month. last week I went back to stock ICS and My battery life is fine. It's as good as it ever was with GB and that's with a stock battery. I'm going to look into getting a 3800 mah battery. I had one of those big boys on my G1 back in the day. Looks funny but man. I'd go 3-4 days without charging sometimes...

wkufan92

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site

Ok, trying to determine if I really do have a problem. Gut feeling says yes. Here are my results this morning with little to no use of the phone. I can't attach the pic for some crazy reason since I am at the office.

2 hrs 15 min of discharging - Battery 92% - I think this sounds pretty good but !!!!!!!!!!

Android OS - 67% !!!!!! Anyone else think that is way too high with the phone not being used?

cqpearson

May 30, 2012
Visit site
After OTA battery life good for 17 hours (2500mah). This morning on battery using my E4GT nonstop 3 hours...see pic.

I am the Galaxy and I
Approve this Message.

LS14EVR

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site

After OTA battery life good for 17 hours (2500mah). This morning on battery using my E4GT nonstop 3 hours...see pic.

I am the Galaxy and I
Approve this Message.

This is more what I would expect. That looks good.

But the post above and myself, still have way too much OS use. Something is causing it to just spin its wheels in the background on our phones.

mountgiant

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Re: SOLVED: ICS Upgrade - Factory Reset Does Not Fix Battery Drai

my battery is draining so FAST! is this ridiculous or what?! im don to two charges a day and idk what to do. will bringing it in to a local sprint store help? I love android so much it would be a shame to have to go to ios and iphone for batter life :(