Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

ROM
    SGS2= Rooted FF18

Default Re: Sprint/Samsung issuing ICS fix!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Knight2 View Post
    No its sammies fault. The modem is crap which is all samsung. The kernel drops wifi which is also samsung. Bluetooth wont pair which also samsung. Sprint only added bloatware and did basic testing. If you want to blame anyone point the blame at samsung for there **** poor testing and then point the finger at sprint for not doing carrier testing. It was a epic fail on both sides.
    I didn't realize that that was Sammy's. I resind my comment.

ROM
    Stock

Funny enough, I made an appointment for service yesterday and took it in, but they wouldn't even take my phone to the back to do any testing on it. Tech said that everyone in their office who uses the GS2 is having the same problems, and that Sprint asked them to have customers contact Samsung to make sure the issue is logged. You call Samsung and, of course, this is "the first" they've heard about it.

There is no fix in the pipeline. The Sprint techs did not have any new bulletins yesterday afternoon when I was in there. They were resorting to Googling to try and find out how to fix it. I told them I wasn't going to sit there while they Googled.

What a cluster.

In the meantime, for those that are willing to flash software to your phone, roll back to Gingerbread or flash an AOSP ICS ROM like Cyanogenmod 9 or AOKP. AOSP ROMs will change your world, and show you how ICS software is supposed to be written.
    Current Device: LG G2 (D800 - AT&T)

ROM
    SGS2= Rooted FF18

Quote Originally Posted by JayWill72 View Post
    In the meantime, for those that are willing to flash software to your phone, roll back to Gingerbread or flash an AOSP ICS ROM like Cyanogenmod 9 or AOKP. AOSP ROMs will change your world, and show you how ICS software is supposed to be written.
    I am VERY tempted to try it, but am afraid of bricking my phone. Never done anything like that before and not certain if I could. (plus I cannot afford a replacement if it bricks)

+1 On the SD Card Removal.

My Battery stats clearly showed that my phone was not entering a deep sleep. Removed my SD CARD last night and as of right now, I am still on the same charge and holding strong. Dramatic improvement and the phone is now entering Deep sleep....I will reformat the SOB and add it back in to see if it improves. However, Wifi is still an issue and likely won't be addressed until a fix of some sort is made available. for the time being, I turn wifi on/off manually to avoid any additional battery drain.

One step at a time I suppose.....

Quote Originally Posted by packhntr View Post
    I am VERY tempted to try it, but am afraid of bricking my phone. Never done anything like that before and not certain if I could. (plus I cannot afford a replacement if it bricks)
    I understand. It's not for everyone. Hopefully they get a fix out sooner rather than later. The Epic 4G Touch is actually on its way to Boost Mobile, and new ICS software builds are leaking for the phone on that network (I actually have the Boost version of the E4GT modem on my phone as I type this). It's possible that they are working on a fix for some of the known issues as part of that process that can be applied as another software update for Sprint customers.

I just flashed to stock ics to my epic 4g touch, to see what all the problems were. OH. MY. GOSH. How could they even send this update out?
    I called Sprint, they acknowledged the issue. The rep had me call a store. The first store I called would roll back to El29. The workers at the second (and both so far are corporate stores) would factory reset, saying that is all their tecs could do. Wow. Okay. When I called the third store, the guy was nice. We had a long talk about this and samsung being crappy, but they could not help me.
    The forth store. The guy said they a third party, so they cannot do anything. However, the guy did say he decided to root after the ics ota and is now running Caulkin lol. (Did I spell that right?)
    So Sprint is generally useless, since the ONE store that will roll back is the farthest away. Lovely.

Edit: The rep said a patch was on the way. Didnt say when it would be here. Being Samsung, it could be awhile...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    SGS2= Rooted FF18

I understand. It's not for everyone. Hopefully they get a fix out sooner rather than later. The Epic 4G Touch is actually on its way to Boost Mobile, and new ICS software builds are leaking for the phone on that network (I actually have the Boost version of the E4GT modem on my phone as I type this). It's possible that they are working on a fix for some of the known issues as part of that process that can be applied as another software update for Sprint customers.
    Let me ask you this....how difficult is it and how risky? AND what build is the "best" (most stable and "safest") I want to do more research, buit i need a direction.....

Well, I personally find it easy, but I have many years experience working with computers, which helped a lot when it came to learning how to root, flash and modify Android phones. I'm no software programmer, and I've barely ever used Linux on a PC (which Android is based on), but many principals are universal, and it helps to have a good foundation of working with files and a computer.

A good first venture into AOSP would be with Cyanogenmod 9. It's still in the alpha stages, and it's not yet "officially" supported by Cyanogenmod, but I've been running the latest available version for awhile now and it's very stable with very few bugs. Less bugs than the official Samsung ICS release from my point of view.

To get familiar with the process, I highly suggest checking out qbking77's YouTube channel and watch his Epic 4G Touch videos on rooting and flashing.

Here's an example of his video on installing CM9:

This video is a bit old now, and some of it doesn't apply anymore, but the main principals are there. You can also watch some of his other videos, such as how to root ICS FF18 that displays how to use sfhub's Odin One-Click package to root the stock ICS system.

Here is the link to the CM9 Alpha release at XDA that you can read up on if you care to: [ROM] CyanogenMod 9 alpha6: Android 4.0.4 for Samsung Epic 4G Touch - xda-developers

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bluemagicx View Post
    I just rolled back to el29 gingerbread. No more issues! Installed all my stuff and I am a happy camper. Phone is super smooth. Screw that ICS..for now!
    2nd that
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

The rollback was easy just follow the instructions and watch the video on Youtube.
    I did it during that epic thunderstorm we had here near Philly last night. It was fast and easy. Just dont do the preserve your data rollback. save your stuff and then wipe the phone clean. You will be glad you did. Added bonus: It leaves your phone rooted so you can have some fun if you want. Or you can remove the root even easier. Do it!!!

ROM
    Jelly Bean

got my phone flashed back to GB....took it into a Sprint store and was done in less than 30 minutes....got most of my apps back up and running....Sprint tech said there was another ICS update after initial one....told him I never got that one....he said there been many customers coming in to get their phones rolled back to GB.....suggested to me to wait awhile for ICS if it ever comes out again....Hahahaha!

Wish I would have waited now. I already bought an evo 4g lte after all this ics nonsense. Still have my s2 sitting around though, not sure what I want to do. I don't like sense nor the design or layout of the phone. Experiencing a lot of bugs too. Should have known to stay away from htc with all the issues I had with my g1.

ROM
    SGS2= Rooted FF18

Well, I personally find it easy, but I have many years experience working with computers, which helped a lot when it came to learning how to root, flash and modify Android phones. I'm no software programmer, and I've barely ever used Linux on a PC (which Android is based on), but many principals are universal, and it helps to have a good foundation of working with files and a computer.

A good first venture into AOSP would be with Cyanogenmod 9. It's still in the alpha stages, and it's not yet "officially" supported by Cyanogenmod, but I've been running the latest available version for awhile now and it's very stable with very few bugs. Less bugs than the official Samsung ICS release from my point of view.

To get familiar with the process, I highly suggest checking out qbking77's YouTube channel and watch his Epic 4G Touch videos on rooting and flashing.

Here's an example of his video on installing CM9:

This video is a bit old now, and some of it doesn't apply anymore, but the main principals are there. You can also watch some of his other videos, such as how to root ICS FF18 that displays how to use sfhub's Odin One-Click package to root the stock ICS system.

Here is the link to the CM9 Alpha release at XDA that you can read up on if you care to: [ROM] CyanogenMod 9 alpha6: Android 4.0.4 for Samsung Epic 4G Touch - xda-developers

I am pretty tech savy myself. Not in software though. I have build my share of custom desktops and such. I am going to research it and see. Any "hints or tricks" you can pass along? Any "must do's"?

ROM
    SGS2= Rooted FF18

Jay, I just watched the Youtube vid. It is not difficult. The only thing though, is that it requires GB. AND I am on the Sprint 4.0. So, I need to switch to GB somehow. Suggestions?

Jay, I just watched the Youtube vid. It is not difficult. The only thing though, is that it requires GB. AND I am on the Sprint 4.0. So, I need to switch to GB somehow. Suggestions?
    It doesn't matter what ROM you're on now, only that you first flash a Gingerbread kernel repacked with Clockwork Mod Recovery. This is a safety precaution as flashing from a Gingerbread based kernel/recovery is known to be safe from the EMMC brick bug that plagues this phone (and a few other Galaxy II based devices like the G-Note).

So here is a quick rundown of how the process would go for you from stock Samsung ICS:

First you need to root your phone. Follow this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/epi...-firmware.html

The reason you want to root first is to be able to use Mobile Odin (more on that below).

Once on stock FF18 rooted ...

Download CM9 Alpha 6 ROM, the latest GAPPs (Google Apps), the EL26+CWM5 kernel, Calkulin's Format All script ZIP and Mobile Odin and get all the files onto your phone.

Note on Mobile Odin: Mobile Odin Lite can be downloaded for free from XDA if you have a forum account and installed manually: [09.07.2012] Mobile ODIN v3.00 [ROOT] - xda-developers. It can also be downloaded from the Play Store for a fee. It's a very useful tool for our phone and worth the cost, but the free version is sufficient for most needs.

Mobile Odin is generally recommended over desktop Odin for flashing kernels because 1) it's easier and 2) it does not trigger the yellow flash triangle on the boot screen or increase the Odin flash count. Both issues can be resolved fairly easily with Triangle Away or a USB jig, but for the novice flasher, avoiding both in the first place is preferable in my eyes.

So!

Steps:

1) Use Mobile Odin to flash the EL26 kernel.TAR you downloaded
    2) After the flash and when the phone reboots and hits the SGSIII screen, pull the battery out or hold down the power button to power the phone off.
    3) Boot into recovery by holding down Vol UP + Power at the same time
    4) Install Calkulin's Format All ZIP
    5) Install the CM9 Alpha 6 ROM
    6) Install the GAPPs
    7) Reboot

Note on #4: One can perform the same as Calkulin's Format All ZIP by manually wiping cache, dalvik cache, data and system from recovery, but flashing the format all ZIP is easier and involves far less menu selections in recovery.

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

I got some type of update today. Not sure what.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    SGS2= Rooted FF18

Thanks Jay.
    I am going to play around with it in the next day or so. not tonight. To tired. Had a big day.... job interview for a new job and got it. Start in two weeks and I have to give my 2 week notice tomorrow where I presently am at.

Thanks Jay.
    I am going to play around with it in the next day or so. not tonight. To tired. Had a big day.... job interview for a new job and got it. Start in two weeks and I have to give my 2 week notice tomorrow where I presently am at.
    Congrats on the new job!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

ROM
    SGS2= Rooted FF18

It doesn't matter what ROM you're on now, only that you first flash a Gingerbread kernel repacked with Clockwork Mod Recovery. This is a safety precaution as flashing from a Gingerbread based kernel/recovery is known to be safe from the EMMC brick bug that plagues this phone (and a few other Galaxy II based devices like the G-Note).

So here is a quick rundown of how the process would go for you from stock Samsung ICS:

First you need to root your phone. Follow this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/epi...-firmware.html

The reason you want to root first is to be able to use Mobile Odin (more on that below).

Once on stock FF18 rooted ...

Download CM9 Alpha 6 ROM, the latest GAPPs (Google Apps), the EL26+CWM5 kernel, Calkulin's Format All script ZIP and Mobile Odin and get all the files onto your phone.

Note on Mobile Odin: Mobile Odin Lite can be downloaded for free from XDA if you have a forum account and installed manually: [09.07.2012] Mobile ODIN v3.00 [ROOT] - xda-developers. It can also be downloaded from the Play Store for a fee. It's a very useful tool for our phone and worth the cost, but the free version is sufficient for most needs.

Mobile Odin is generally recommended over desktop Odin for flashing kernels because 1) it's easier and 2) it does not trigger the yellow flash triangle on the boot screen or increase the Odin flash count. Both issues can be resolved fairly easily with Triangle Away or a USB jig, but for the novice flasher, avoiding both in the first place is preferable in my eyes.

So!

Steps:

1) Use Mobile Odin to flash the EL26 kernel.TAR you downloaded
    2) After the flash and when the phone reboots and hits the SGSIII screen, pull the battery out or hold down the power button to power the phone off.
    3) Boot into recovery by holding down Vol UP + Power at the same time
    4) Install Calkulin's Format All ZIP
    5) Install the CM9 Alpha 6 ROM
    6) Install the GAPPs
    7) Reboot

Note on #4: One can perform the same as Calkulin's Format All ZIP by manually wiping cache, dalvik cache, data and system from recovery, but flashing the format all ZIP is easier and involves far less menu selections in recovery.
    OK....I am to the point of having the phone rooted with ODIN (not mobile, but desktop as I followed his instructions and he used the desktop version) onto FF18.

I cannot find where to get: "Download CM9 Alpha 6 ROM, the latest GAPPs (Google Apps), the EL26+CWM5 kernel, Calkulin's Format All script ZIP and Mobile Odin and get all the files onto your phone."
    I looked for the mobile Odin lite, but cannot find it anywhere on Google play store, just pro.
    HELP!!!!!!!!!!

ROM
    SGS2= Rooted FF18

I found and installed Odin Lite....and it's required add on.....no luck on the rest yet

I found and installed Odin Lite....and it's required add on.....no luck on the rest yet
    Links incoming!

CM9 Alpha 6 and link to GAPPs: Cyanogenmod Epic Touch: CM9 Install Guide

EL26+CWM5 kernel/recovery: StockCWM-EL26.tar.md5

Calkulin Format All (scroll down to the bottom of the post to download the attachment): [ ROM ] Calkulin's E4GT 2 v1.6 [ ICS l FE22 l Tweaked l Battery Saver Script ] - xda-developers

ROM
    SGS2= Rooted FF18

Dumb question.....HOW do I get EL26 and the rest onto the phone? I cannot seem to get Mobile ODIN Lite to work. I thought I had directed it to the add on ( [09.07.2012] Mobile ODIN v3.00 [ROOT] - xda-developers) ( CHAINFIRE, 15th November 2011, 05:46 PM

(Last edited by Chainfire; 7th June 2012 at 11:15 PM.) ) about 3/4 way down page. I am stuck!!!!!

Dumb question.....HOW do I get EL26 and the rest onto the phone? I cannot seem to get Mobile ODIN Lite to work. I thought I had directed it to the add on ( [09.07.2012] Mobile ODIN v3.00 [ROOT] - xda-developers) ( CHAINFIRE, 15th November 2011, 05:46 PM

(Last edited by Chainfire; 7th June 2012 at 11:15 PM.) ) about 3/4 way down page. I am stuck!!!!!
    Did you also install the flash kernel?

xda-developers - View Single Post - [09.07.2012] Mobile ODIN v3.00 [ROOT]

Make sure you download the D710 version. Extract from the ZIP and install the APK.

ROM
    SGS2= Rooted FF18

I did, but I don't know how to get them onto the phone.....they're on my desktop right now. Do I need to place them on my sdcard? If so, how do i access them on the phone?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast