Sprint/Samsung issuing ICS fix!

evolvedsapien

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
My story...

I've had my phone since launch day last year.

I never rooted my phone or anything; everything has always been stock. I downloaded the ICS OTA update when it became available to me about three weeks ago.

ICS SUCKS!!!!!

My phone had horrible battery life, flash content didn't load properly like it used to on Gingerbread, my WiFi would not connect nor hold signal, my GPS would not lock (of course this was an issue even with Gingerbread; but still).

I took it to a sprint corporate repair center a couple of days ago...they said they can't restore gingerbread back for me.

I said screw that and called into sprint to complain; they sent me a replacement GS2 with Gingerbread loaded onto it. Now I keep getting annoying notification to download ICS...but NEVER!

Now I'm happy. ICS in its current state that is being pushed on this S2 via the OTA update sucks! That is all.

litkedeep

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Your title is completely misleading ... "Sprint/Samsung issuing ICS fix!"

NOWHERE do you mention ANY fix other than complaining to sprint and them sending you a new phone with GB on it. This is NOT A FIX.

Reactions: markta and GiantJay

Drummerboy1975

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Your title is completely misleading ... "Sprint/Samsung issuing ICS fix!"

NOWHERE do you mention ANY fix other than complaining to sprint and them sending you a new phone with GB on it. This is NOT A FIX.

Wrong......

"She told me they are well aware of all the problems and I was her second call regarding the wifi issue this evening. After a brief hold, she told me, and I quote:" Samsung already has a fix and is sending it out in to 500 phones at a time." "And that it fixes all of the problems that have occurred from the ICS update."

Reactions: packhntr

pmjohnson99

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
My 3 cents:

I would basically do something and the phone would shut of. When I turned it back on the battery would be drained.
I ordered a new battery from Amazon and 99% of my issues have disappeared. It's actually like a new phone. Snappy response time and since it a new battery I get all day use on one charge. Actually comtemplating getting a second battery to carry with me for long weekends around the city.

This is the battery I ordered and seems to work just fine: Amazon.com: OEM Samsung Standard Battery for Samsung Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710 EB625152VA: Cell Phones & Accessories

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
My 3 cents:

I would basically do something and the phone would shut of. When I turned it back on the battery would be drained.
I ordered a new battery from Amazon and 99% of my issues have disappeared. It's actually like a new phone. Snappy response time and since it a new battery I get all day use on one charge. Actually comtemplating getting a second battery to carry with me for long weekends around the city.

This is the battery I ordered and seems to work just fine: Amazon.com: OEM Samsung Standard Battery for Samsung Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710 EB625152VA: Cell Phones & Accessories

Thanks for the bumb. -__- Lol. But since the latest update (FH13) I went a day and a half with 52% left after it. ^__^

sblair1269

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Even with the latest update, I get about 10hrs of battery life, with little to no use. Mainly just sits in my pocket. I don't use it because the service sucks and when the service isn't crap, I can't use it because the battery is dead. However, it does make a handy paper weight, a rather expensive paper weight. I used to love this phone, now I find myself wanting to break it in half. Hope they come with a new "fix" soon.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Idk why everyone is saying ics garbage Im on a asop jb rom and backed up my rooted stock ICS. I like ICS on the epic WAYYYY more than gb. My battery lasts like 9 or ten hours and I'm a POWER USER.

Sent from my White Epic 4g Touch rockin Jellybean

Scott_LAN

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
i received the newest ICS OTA from Sprint for my phone and the battery life absolutely stinks. As an example this morning I took my phone off the charger at 5:30 a.m. and by 7:15 my phone died...i only took two pictures and did not use the phone to call, check application updates or send text messages. There should be no reason for this. I'm considering buying a compatible extended battery for my phone on eBay.

Second, since the ICS OTA that I downloaded each time I am receiving data roaming notifications. Nothing seems to be affected by these but I'm wondering if this could be a reason that my battery life stinks? Has anyone had this issue before and received a fix, or does anyone have a suggestion? I'm considering going into Sprint but I wanted to get the opinion of this community.

thanks!

cqpearson

May 30, 2012
Visit site
i received the newest ICS OTA from Sprint for my phone and the battery life absolutely stinks. As an example this morning I took my phone off the charger at 5:30 a.m. and by 7:15 my phone died...i only took two pictures and did not use the phone to call, check application updates or send text messages. There should be no reason for this. I'm considering buying a compatible extended battery for my phone on eBay.

thanks!

Have you backed-up phone and performed factory reset? After ICS OTA I experienced random reboots. Did the reset, restored from backup and battery life improved tremendously. Phone operating fine, but actually better than ever!

I am the Galaxy and I Approve this Message
Sent from my SPH - D710

pmjohnson99

Dec 5, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the bumb. -__- Lol. But since the latest update (FH13) I went a day and a half with 52% left after it. ^__^

Actually, my point was that if your battery has a few miles on it you might want to consider getting a new one. I use my phone a lot, and get decent service, so after a year of heavy use I think ICS can be a bit abusive on older batts.

Riboflavin

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
My second ICS update made my phone very sluggish. So i am thinking i want to do a factory reset.

What is the best way to back up everything on my phone? I think my GoSMSPro can back up all of my texts.

cqpearson

May 30, 2012
Visit site
My second ICS update made my phone very sluggish. So i am thinking i want to do a factory reset.

What is the best way to back up everything on my phone? I think my GoSMSPro can back up all of my texts.

I used My Backup Pro and got everything except an app called Memo Pad. Still don't know why. My Backup Pro gives you the option of backing up apps and/or data to the cloud or to the external disk. Restore allows you to selectively restore apps or restore all. Same thing with data; restore your sms or just your contacts, etc . Or simply restore everything.

byrdcfmma

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Everything worked great rolling back to GB EL29. I tried to install CWM for EL29+CWM-Rogue (Letter H) and I get hung up at the stage right before it starts programming. It recognizes my phone, debugging-enabled, USB storage- disabled, etc. but I have to Control C at the "waiting for device to be connected" because it wont start. Any Ideas?

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Everything worked great rolling back to GB EL29. I tried to install CWM for EL29+CWM-Rogue (Letter H) and I get hung up at the stage right before it starts programming. It recognizes my phone, debugging-enabled, USB storage- disabled, etc. but I have to Control C at the "waiting for device to be connected" because it wont start. Any Ideas?

Sounds like driver issues. Uninstall and reinstall.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

byrdcfmma

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like driver issues. Uninstall and reinstall.

Yeah, that is the first thing I thought of. I even tried it on two dif computers and it is using the same driver package that I loaded the rollback to EL29 with.

I have been doing a lot of reading and the only thing I can think of is that the EMMC Brick Bug on E4GT might have something to do with it. Maybe since the majority of ROMS being used have moved to ICS & JB, maybe they are not supported any longer. But this is a pure guess based only on my inexperience, lol...

I might rollback to EL26 with CWM, create a backup then move forward from there if I get time tonight. The only reason I have not done it now is that my S2 is working better than it ever has, better batt, higher wifi & 3s speeds, etc.

Last edited:

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that is the first thing I thought of. I even tried it on two dif computers and it is using the same driver package that I loaded the rollback to EL29 with.

I have been doing a lot of reading and the only thing I can think of is that the EMMC Brick Bug on E4GT might have something to do with it. Maybe since the majority of ROMS being used have moved to ICS & JB, maybe they are not supported any longer. But this is a pure guess based only on my inexperience, lol...

I might rollback to EL26 with CWM, create a backup then move forward from there if I get time tonight. The only reason I have not done it now is that my S2 is working better than it ever has, better batt, higher wifi & 3s speeds, etc.

Brickbug doesn't exist on Gingerbread.

Scott_LAN

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
you know, i've considered doing the factory reset. I know that I need to backup my data before I reset my phone, but I'm not too sure which data I need to backup. Do I just copy all the folders from my phone and sd card to a computer, reset my phone, and then copy all of the folders back to my phone? Since I've never tried that before that is what I imagine backing up information to be (for a cell phone, atleast).

davis.rob

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Do I just copy all the folders from my phone and sd card to a computer, reset my phone, and then copy all of the folders back to my phone?

Well, it shouldn't touch anything on the SD card, although you might remove the SD just to be extra safe. Some folks have also reported that re-formatting the SD card helps with battery life ... but that's a separate process. So ... you should backup anything that's on the phone itself. Now anything that's in the "cloud" (e.g. Contacts, Calendar, Email, etc.) should just "come back" when the phone is reconnected, as should all of your apps that come from Google. So, for me, the primary thing I had to copy was pictures. What I "lost" was any app data, like scores/progress in games (which was actually quite annoying). There are "backup" utilities which will do most of this for you.

Azwizzard

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I just "upgraded" my phone from an old HTC EVO to the SII on Sprint. I was having battery issues and did a lot of reading on the different forums and tried a lot of the "tricks" to try and fix my battery issue. What ended up working for me was removing my SD Card from the phone completely. I really didn't have much on it anyway so it wasn't really an issue for me (besides, I put it in my wifes phone so it saved me from having to buy a new one for her.) I did try reformatting it 1st, but that didn't help.

Once I removed it completely I went from my phone being dead in just 5 - 6 hours with very little use, to lasting all day with a decent amount of use.

So far I am really happy with the phone, especailly comming from my old EVO.