Sprint/Samsung issuing ICS fix!

bluemagicx

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok don't kill the messenger, but I just got off the phone with Sprint after factory resetting my phone due to the wifi shutting down and stopping the data as well unless I turned it off and on again. (Reset didn't help!)

She told me they are well aware of all the problems and I was her second call regarding the wifi issue this evening. After a brief hold, she told me, and I quote:" Samsung already has a fix and is sending it out in to 500 phones at a time." "And that it fixes all of the problems that have occurred from the ICS update.

She said it may be available as a manual install just as the ICS update was and to check Samsung's web site. She said sit tight and see if It gets pushed out or made available.

She apologized and said if I don't get it within a week to call back. So there.
Going on Sammys site now to see whats up!

cenix

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
fingers crossed.

when i called sprint they told me that i was the first to report the wifi issue (i have the same thing going on as you). i could only roll my eyes.

bluemagicx

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I sure hope she wasn't just feeding me a story to keep the masses quiet!
I will call back tomorrow and see if its true from another rep.
So far, nothing else on the "interwebs".

spark957

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I really hope this is true.. Ics has completely killed my battery life. This is after moderate use

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

sbutcher

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I was excited to hear this news.....until I had a chat session with a Samsung rep. Here is a snippit of that conversation....appears to me that Samsung was unaware of any battery issues related to the ICS upgrade....go figure.

Suzanne: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
Visitor: Hello....I love my Samsung Galaxy s2 Epic Touch....well I did...until it recently received the Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade. My battery life is completely unacceptable....I have to keep the phone on the charger for most of the day.
Suzanne: I understand that the battery drains quickly on your phone. Is that correct?
Visitor: I am really concerned about this
Visitor: yes...since the upgrade to ICS.....I show that the biggest killer to the battery drain is the Android OS....what is causing this?
Visitor: and how can it be fixed
Suzanne: Thank you.
Suzanne: I am sorry for the inconvenience. I will be happy to help.
Suzanne: May I know how long you have been experiencing the issue?
Suzanne: I would like to confirm whether GPS, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned ON/Off on the phone when you are not using those services.
Visitor: I received the ICS upgrade OTA on the morning of July 16th. Since that day, my battery life has been half of what it used to be...and sometimes worse.
Visitor: As an example, I went to bed last night with 60% left on my battery....phone was not used....woke up at 4am to phone beeping and shutting off due to dead battery
Suzanne: Are you experiencing this issue after installing any third party application on your Phone?
Visitor: and yes....I turn off GPS, WIFI, and Bluetooth when not using....in the example I just shared with you...all of those were turned off....
Visitor: I have noticed the drain whether I leave WIFI on or off
Visitor: no...no third party app installed...same as it was before the upgrade when I was using Gingerbread
Suzanne: May I know for how many hours have you charged the battery?
Visitor: Has Samsung not heard of this issue? If you check around the forums....there are SEVERAL upset customers as a result of this issue related to the upgrade.
Suzanne: No there is no such reported issue with it. We have designed the product after extensive technical research and feedback from customers about the product by our design team.
Suzanne: However, I will surely pass on this issue to our support team I appreciate you to bringing this issue to our notice.
Visitor: ok...is there something you can help me with to resolve the issue today?
Suzanne: At this point, I recommend you reset the phone.
Suzanne: By performing hard reset most of the issues get resolved.

onemilelost

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I was excited to hear this news.....until I had a chat session with a Samsung rep. Here is a snippit of that conversation....appears to me that Samsung was unaware of any battery issues related to the ICS upgrade....go figure.

*conversation edited out*

Wow. Every response she gave was directly out of their cheat sheet. No surprise there. I wonder if they even read what the customer is writing.

I've found that the customer service chat feature is often/close to always a waste of time getting real answers.

CRS1

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site

Suzanne: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
Visitor: Hello....I love my Samsung Galaxy s2 Epic Touch....well I did...until it recently received the Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade. My battery life is completely unacceptable....I have to keep the phone on the charger for most of the day.
Suzanne: I understand that the battery drains quickly on your phone. Is that correct?
Visitor: I am really concerned about this
Visitor: yes...since the upgrade to ICS.....I show that the biggest killer to the battery drain is the Android OS....what is causing this?
Visitor: and how can it be fixed
Suzanne: Thank you.
Suzanne: I am sorry for the inconvenience. I will be happy to help.
Suzanne: May I know how long you have been experiencing the issue?
Suzanne: I would like to confirm whether GPS, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned ON/Off on the phone when you are not using those services.
Visitor: I received the ICS upgrade OTA on the morning of July 16th. Since that day, my battery life has been half of what it used to be...and sometimes worse.
Visitor: As an example, I went to bed last night with 60% left on my battery....phone was not used....woke up at 4am to phone beeping and shutting off due to dead battery
Suzanne: Are you experiencing this issue after installing any third party application on your Phone?
Visitor: and yes....I turn off GPS, WIFI, and Bluetooth when not using....in the example I just shared with you...all of those were turned off....
Visitor: I have noticed the drain whether I leave WIFI on or off
Visitor: no...no third party app installed...same as it was before the upgrade when I was using Gingerbread
Suzanne: May I know for how many hours have you charged the battery?
Visitor: Has Samsung not heard of this issue? If you check around the forums....there are SEVERAL upset customers as a result of this issue related to the upgrade.
Suzanne: No there is no such reported issue with it. We have designed the product after extensive technical research and feedback from customers about the product by our design team.
Suzanne: However, I will surely pass on this issue to our support team I appreciate you to bringing this issue to our notice.
Visitor: ok...is there something you can help me with to resolve the issue today?
Suzanne: At this point, I recommend you reset the phone.
Suzanne: By performing hard reset most of the issues get resolved.

Typical answer. There are no reported issues after the update and you're the 1st. That's the same thing I have heard over and over.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Quick question.... my buddy didn't update to ICS on E4GT. Will this new update update his phone to ICS?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

packhntr

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
"You're the first persont to report this".....Man, that just burns me. I hear that from ALL companies I ever deal with when I report a problem. It IS a standard in the scripts they read. I know people that work at these hotlines.....they hate the work because they have to lie to people to save the company's rear. :mad:

bigjkt405

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I went to the Sprint store and this is what I was told also regarding a fix being sent out. The bad news was that it could 30-60 days from what the manager told me.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
The sad truth is, 9.9 times out of 10, these carrier service reps, store managers, and manufacturer reps don't know jack squat about what's going to happen.

Wait for an official announcement.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

yankees177

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
You know what, I have been having WIFI issues with gingerbread as well (I did not get the OTA ICS either). Basically what happens with my issue is that sometimes the internet along with some apps doesnt connect right away. A lot of times I have to turn wifi off and then back on again to get it started and sometimes its so finicky that i just turn off wifi altogther. I never took it to sprint because it wasnt all the time even though it was annoying and i just knew that it wouldnt happen to me if I went to the store to show them. Does this sound like anyone elses problem?

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Quick question.... my buddy didn't update to ICS on E4GT. Will this new update update his phone to ICS?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Hey there M8... miss our OG EVO days.... How's it going in Nexus land???

To answer your question, yes the update their all talking about is the official OTA ICS update. And from the sounds of it, it's a freaking mess. Just tell your buddy to stay away from it for now. Or root his ET4G and install CM9, it's a thing of beauty.

The sad truth is, 9.9 times out of 10, these carrier service reps, store managers, and manufacturer reps don't know jack squat about what's going to happen.

Wait for an official announcement.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

So true... All they ever do is want to hard reset your phone.

Sent From My GalaxyClass StarShip 10.1/4.1.1(jb)

markta

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
New here.
I actually found this forum by performing simple search to see if others had battery issues with their GS2E since the moment ICS was installed. No other changes were made to my phone except the forced 'upgrade'. Now I am at about 80% after 2 hours. Before ICS, I would have about 95% in the same time.I now have to recharge during the day and rarely use the phone. It is connected to WiFi though out the day. I called Sprint and customer service and they said this was the first report they received re: battery life and ICS!!! They had me remove battery then they performed some sort of 'remote soft reset'. No change. They also told me to run on battery save mode. I never had to do that before!!!

Mark

matt3166

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
New here.
I actually found this forum by performing simple search to see if others had battery issues with their GS2E since the moment ICS was installed. No other changes were made to my phone except the forced 'upgrade'. Now I am at about 80% after 2 hours. Before ICS, I would have about 95% in the same time.I now have to recharge during the day and rarely use the phone. It is connected to WiFi though out the day. I called Sprint and customer service and they said this was the first report they received re: battery life and ICS!!! They had me remove battery then they performed some sort of 'remote soft reset'. No change. They also told me to run on battery save mode. I never had to do that before!!!

Mark

Have you read about the SD card may causing the battery drain?
I was having that issue, the SD card is causing the phone to not go completely asleep when you press the power button or the screen times out.
Take whatever you want off your SD card, pics etc>format the card (in the memory option in settings)>restart the phone.
It helped a lot with my battery

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

bluemagicx

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
So......Looks like they did stop the update but no official fix has been released. I called back. Currently testing my wifi after a keypad reset. The rep worked up a work order so that I can go to my corporate store to see what can be done. I am not paying 35$ for a refurb phone! He said it is their fault and they would see about reimbursing me somehow if I do that. Meanwhile my phone is half the phone it was before the update!!! crap.

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey there M8... miss our OG EVO days.... How's it going in Nexus land???

To answer your question, yes the update their all talking about is the official OTA ICS update. And from the sounds of it, it's a freaking mess. Just tell your buddy to stay away from it for now. Or root his ET4G and install CM9, it's a thing of beauty.

Sent From My GalaxyClass StarShip 10.1/4.1.1(jb)

Duuuude, whats up man...been a minute. Man, I can't tell you how much I miss all the hackery we did on those things. I'm using it as an MP3 player now. Installed a variant of Decks 1.3b GB. I'll put it like this, I would love my Nexus a heck of a lot more if Sprint would release those blasted drivers so this things could be supported in AOSP. Not to mention I would love to already have JB on it. I wish they would have had the update ready for all the G'nexs, that would have made since to me since they're supposed to be ''Google'' devices after all. No worries I guess, it'll come sooner or later. I just hope that it means they're working all the bugs out before pushing it ya know. I've talked to him about the whole roofing thing amdhave explained the numerous benefits and advantages but since his phone is still under the manufacturers warranty he is wanting to wait. :( So his is stable ICS on the E4GT....amazing I'd imagine. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE