Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Default Re: 4.0.4. update killed my battery life!!

did this and still getting poor battery life. Android OS is burning the battery up at 48-50%. my phone is not rooted. thanks for the idea, i was really hoping that it worked.

Global Posts
    312 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sblair1269 View Post
    did this and still getting poor battery life. Android OS is burning the battery up at 48-50%. my phone is not rooted. thanks for the idea, i was really hoping that it worked.
    One of the things that I did with the FR was not reinstall any app until I absolutely needed it. My battery life has remained constant in the 12-17 hour range (depending on how heavy I use it) since the FR, and I still only have a fraction of the apps I started with. Maybe something (either a widget or an app) is causing your battery drain?

did this and still getting poor battery life. Android OS is burning the battery up at 48-50%. my phone is not rooted.
    Sblair how old is your battery? Depending on use, batteries should be changed somewhere around the 9th,10th month, or at least annually. Even if not "old"

I am the Galaxy and I Approve this Message
    Sent from my SPH - D710

If I'm gonna' refomat my sd card and do a FR which should I do first? After the udate I tried all these tricks whiched helped bat life except a FR and now my batt went to crap again, gonna do it and deal with reinstalling my apps.

Quote Originally Posted by cqpearson View Post
    Sblair how old is your battery? Depending on use, batteries should be changed somewhere around the 9th,10th month, or at least annually. Even if not "old"

Sent from my SPH - D710
    about 10 mos old
    Last edited by sblair1269; 10-05-2012 at 09:38 AM. Reason: i made the oops!

about 10 mos old
    If all else fails, replace the battery. And if THAT doesn't work, get a refund on battery and return phone to seller's outlet. Explain problem and they may replace your phone.

Sent from my SPH - D710

hi guys. sprint recently replaced my E4GT and i was expecting it to be GB but it was ICS they even open the brand new phone in front of me. Anyways they used the same battery that my old phone has and noticed that my battery is draining too fast. I did some reaseach mostly in this forums and did the wipe cache and resetted the phone and lemme tell ya it worked for me! TY GL to everyone

OK, this may seem really dumb but here goes. My S2 with gingerbread got about 50 hours (light use); with ICS 4.0 about 40 hours; after updating to 4.0.4 about 24 hours; after REMOVING MY BATTERY, counting to 10 (like the previous poster suggested), I'm back to about 40 hours and everything is "going to sleep at night". THEN, I disabled my browser add-ons (i.e. Flash!) and I'm up to about 60+ hours! Apparently, the update needs this battery removal; would have been nice if someone from Sprint had told us! Again, this is light use but I'm loving my phone again. Incidentally, the guys who keep this web site up and running are rock'n!!! They really know what they're doing. Thanks. If this just works for 1 person, I'll be glad.

Quote Originally Posted by GalaxySIIJSW View Post
    OK, this may seem really dumb but here goes. My S2 with gingerbread got about 50 hours (light use)....
    GALAXYSIIJSW - please share your definition of "light use". That would be helpful. Thanks.

Sent from my SPH - D710

I think we should start a class action suit...should you decide to do it I'm ALL in!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    6,876 Global Posts
    ROM
    Wicked Sensations

Good luck finding a lawyer for that. No offense, but it isn't going to happen.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Thanked by:

By "light use" I mean: about 150 MB's of data/month; 3 email a/c's checked (via K-9) every 15 min/30 min/3 hours; 30 texts/day; 20 min talk/day (no continuous bluetooth, GPS or wifi -- I turn them on only when I need them). Also, thanks to the Poster who suggested we download CPU Spy!!! It helped me identify that when your alarm is set (I've often got 2 or 3 alarms set throughout the day for appts) your phone will NEVER go into deep sleep. If i set an alarm(s), I'm back to 24 hrs/charge. I'm getting an alarm clock! I'm curious if the simple-minded fix of removing the battery (suggested by another Poster) has helped anyone else, or was it just my phone?

Quote Originally Posted by GalaxySIIJSW View Post
    ... I'm getting an alarm clock! I'm curious if the simple-minded fix of removing the battery (suggested by another Poster) has helped anyone else, or was it just my phone?
    That's funny, defaulting to a real alarm clock. Thanks for the clarification on light use; it's more than I expected. As to the battery pull, I performed the power on/vol down reboot and pulled the battery as an experiment, post–download of FI27. My phone now uses 1% battery per hour in standby/sleep mode whereas before it used 3% per hour. Tested less than 48 hours after OTA so will monitor further. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SPH - D710

Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

sadly, none of these things worked for me. i am so beyond frustrated as it seems the battery life gets worse and worse. 4g was on, but wifi (nothing in the area for it to find for Wifi) and GPS were off. in 15 minutes, down from 100 percent to 94 while just sitting on my desk. i'm at my wit's end, and am opposed to a factory reset, because, quite simply, i shouldn't have to do that for something that costs this much, in order for it to work properly. ugh.

Question Re: 4.0.4. update killed my battery life!!

what is your link, so i could change my galaxy s2 from ics back too GB?

I want to know where you got 4.0 from we have only had 4.0.3 as a leak and 4.0.4 as an ota

sent from MY BAD A$$ ET4G

Quote Originally Posted by cqpearson View Post
    My phone now uses 1% battery per hour in standby/sleep mode whereas before it used 3% per hour. Tested less than 48 hours after OTA so will monitor further.
    Nearly a week now post-OTA, battery improvement undeniable. Six hours on battery using less than 1% per hour. See pic.

Sent from my SPH - D710
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4.0.4. update killed my battery life!!-uploadfromtaptalk1352029227341.jpg  

And that's on standby. Previously phone used 3% per hour on standby. Plenty of apps including FB and Modern Warfare, also Juice Defender which I think is a big help.

Rock the Vote this week!

Sent from my SPH - D710

I've used the Power+VolUp cache clear, then reboot--no real change in batter life showing up.

When it gets back to 100% charged, I'll try the pull-battery fix.

But, my real wonder is if this is related to the whole "Unfortunately Google Music Play has Stopped" thing.

The battery use has been all over the place. I've had it out in an office in the sticks, on roam, and piggybacking local wifi, and run for 6, 7, even 8 hours. The next day, it will run for two hours. No Rhyme or reason. I am due for a battery replacement, though.

I don't believe in needing an after market app to help battery life, especially when the phone is designed a certain way but I think a few tweaks is all you need. After ICS I was getting 4-8 hrs out of my phone. Read a bunch of suggestions here and I'm getting over 24hrs out of my phone with minimal use with a stock battery thats over a year old. There's a ton of suggestions here about what to do all of which I think is becoming overwhelming but here's mine anyways ;-) : Cleared cache, Factory reset, I didn't re install a ton of apps like I had before. I turned off the phone, recharged it and leaving it plugged in took out the battery (then unplugged it ) let it sit for 10 min, turned off (or minimized) refresh rates for AP news, email, weather etc., turned off (or minimized) location setting for GPS. In settings: developer options I set Limit Background Proccesses to 4 at most. Update apps only when plugged in. I may have forgotten a few things but I have my old (great) phone back. Slowly re adding apps to see if any kill batt life but none so far. Have auto brightness turned off and set at 75%, power saving mode at 30%, dont have any battery apps to monitor juice usage and still getting killer battery life. I think the real kicker was the factory reset.

Clearing the memory cache worked, to my utter amazement. I also tried several other things during the past month that I will one-by-one undo and I'll try to remember to report back. I did do 2 factory resets since the ICS update, so I'll never know if that played a role. The first reset worked for awhile, but the second one has not.

In my case, I've been examining this with better battery stats. Turning wifi off manually prevented the season, but that's hardly a solution. Having it set to stay on"always" during sleep was better than having wifi go off during sleep (using either the plugged in or never setting). In both cases, the problem was that the tablet was getting woken up out of deep sleep and spent most of it's time awake. This was due to one of 2 kernel wakelocks: ath6kl_suspend_wakelock (when wifi was always on) or suspend_backoff (when wifi turned off during sleep).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12