Anyone replace their battery after ICS?

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
So my battery woes continue - I had no problems before ICS. Now if I leave my phone alone for 8 hours I lose 25%, not the 5-8% I used to. When I called Sprint, the tech told me that the update messed up the battery and to take it to a sprint store to have it tested (I think I already posted about this elsewhere).

My question is, can this be a pure coincidence or is it possible that ICS is causing the battery to become over taxed or damaged? I'm waiting for a replacement battery from amazon and am also going to return this battery to samsung since it is less than a year old. I can report back to let people know if things have improved but I don't want to damage the new battery. Does anyone think this is anything but a fluke? When I went to the store, the rep said that he thought the battery had started to lose some of its charge and that the way ICS is running just made it more noticeable. It will be interesting to see if a new battery helps. Thanks

lololovestech

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Sprint replaced my battery after I went into a store to complain about the excessive drain from ICS. They tested it and it came back as "marginal". I tried a bunch of other fixes including wiping the cache, doing a factory reset, formatting my SD card and cycling the battery of which one or more of these caused the battery life to improve significantly. The new battery seemed to be an added bonus, but I don't think it had an impact on the battery life itself.

noshooz

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I bought a spare battery that came with a charger so I always have a full battery. I'm lucky to get five hours now when using it frequently. I lose 20-25% overnight with no use.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Murph ...

These suggestions may not be ideal, but they may solve your issues until some sort of fix is implemented.

1) Set "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to "Never (increases data usage)
2) Turn off your LED notifications
3) Turn off your System sounds

Regarding #3. There may be a wakelock issue with system sounds in the Samsung ICS kernel, that shows itself in an elevated Android OS %. This shows up in Better Battery Stats as a Partial Wakelock in AudioOut_1. Just search Google for "Samsung AudioOut_1" and you'll find some posts and blogs about it.

So under Sounds from the system settings menu, uncheck Dial pad touch tones, Touch sounds and Screen lock sound. You can leave Vibrate on touch checked.

Try this when you get a chance, then charge to full and let your phone sleep off the charger overnight, then report back with your findings if you don't mind.

Cheers!

Reactions: Murphy5111

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Murph ...

These suggestions may not be ideal, but they may solve your issues until some sort of fix is implemented.

Regarding #3. There may be a wakelock issue with system sounds in the Samsung ICS kernel, that shows itself in an elevated Android OS %. This shows up in Better Battery Stats as a Partial Wakelock in AudioOut_1. Just search Google for "Samsung AudioOut_1" and you'll find some posts and blogs about it.

So under Sounds from the system settings menu, uncheck Dial pad touch tones, Touch sounds and Screen lock sound. You can leave Vibrate on touch checked.

Try this when you get a chance, then charge to full and let your phone sleep off the charger overnight, then report back with your findings if you don't mind.

Cheers!

Thanks JayWill,

I made all those changes, will fully charge and leave on all night. I'll post back in the morning.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Murph ...

Cheers!

Ok, so let me say that I definitely see a big improvement. In addition to the above steps, I saw on the sprint forums that careoshi wiped the system cache partition and that fixed his/her battery problems. So I did that in addition to the steps above (held the volume up button while powering on). As I mentioned before, I was losing about 25% battery life over a 9 hour period. Last night, my phone went from 97% down to 82% and the line under the battery percentage was definitely not as steep. Also, you'll see from the screenshots that awake time was mostly non-existent. In prevous nights, you would have seen tons of blue dashes with a tiny bit of separation in between.

I think the reason I am seeing 15% and not 5-8% is because the rep at the Sprint store ran a test and confirmed that the battery is not working as well as it should. So once I get my new battery, I will wait a couple days for it to condition and then test it again. My guess is that all will be good. Please let me know if anyone tries this and can reproduce this. Thanks again JayWill!

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Good to hear Murph. Once things settle in a bit, you get your new battery, and you get a feel for the typical drain, you may want to try turning the LED notifications back on. Of all the things I listed, I believe that one is the least likely to be the cause of noticeable adverse drain on the stock Samsung ROM.

Reactions: Murphy5111

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Good to hear Murph. Once things settle in a bit, you get your new battery, and you get a feel for the typical drain, you may want to try turning the LED notifications back on. Of all the things I listed, I believe that one is the least likely to be the cause of noticeable adverse drain on the stock Samsung ROM.

Thanks, I'll do that.

jlkiller893

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Use, juice defender might help a lot, use settings in aggressive so that it really makes a difference. If you want to take the battery saver to another level use extreme :D hope it helps and the higher the setting it might turn off 3g data and wifi and etc...

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

LS14EVR

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
It's ICS and not your battery. I'm on my same battery, back in a refurb phone running GB and this battery is still A-OK. It was horrible on ICS. So do what you will but I wouldn't let anyone tell you your battery is bad.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
It's ICS and not your battery. I'm on my same battery, back in a refurb phone running GB and this battery is still A-OK. It was horrible on ICS. So do what you will but I wouldn't let anyone tell you your battery is bad.

The only thing is that I I only told the tech at the store that tech support over the phone told me to have my battery tested. He took it in the back and ran some diagnostic on it and said it was bad.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't know - I think the new battery is doing the trick. Just one charge and I still have 64% battery life with over an hour and a half of screen on time. I'll have to see how it drains when I'm not using my phone, but prior to replacing the battery I couldn't get more than 2 hours screen on time. Looks like I'll push past that with no problems. This whole thing is bizarre because I had no battery problems prior to the ICS update.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Over 2 hours screen time and more than 50% battery left. Phone would be dead by now.

jlkiller893

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Well perhaps it is your battery but doesn't it seem weird that battery went bad that quick. It might not be that battery maybe you have lots of background processes and need to kill them. The symptoms seem very drastic sound like the battery... :)

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for all the posts, but I just wanted to attach my screenshots after leaving my phone on overnight with the new battery. I lost 15% and it seems that the phone is still waking up more than usual. The new battery definitely fixed a lot of my problems but even with the changes I made, it still seems like it's draining too much when idle. It's definitely a tone better than it was though. -

***Sorry, I get the 404 not found message again and can't upload the pcitures. As of right now, I am just about 12 hours on battery at 31% left with screen on time of 2 hours and 30 minutes. Screen is 52% of battery use, Android OS is second at 21% and internet third at 5% along with cell standy at 5%.

LS14EVR

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
It's lasting longer because it is a NEW battery. I mean, how old was the original. And they told you it was bad because they are a SALES person at a sprint store. They want to sell you stuff. I hope you still have your old battery.

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
It's lasting longer because it is a NEW battery. I mean, how old was the original. And they told you it was bad because they are a SALES person at a sprint store. They want to sell you stuff. I hope you still have your old battery.

Yeah, I still have the old one. It's less than a year old so it's going back to samsung to be replaced. They have a ridiculous warranty return policy. I have to send this one in before they'll replace it. I bought a new one on Amazon for $14, so I can return the other one. It's just very strange how this all went down. Maybe the old battery was on its way out but I didn't notice it. It's almost like the ICS install sent it over the edge.

JBK

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
My battery life doubled after the ICS update. So I don't think it's an ICS issue.

If you are getting better battery life, consider yourself extremely lucky (and perhaps the only one), because my battery "drops like a rock". From reading on this and other forums, I am not alone. :'(

I know the ICS update on my phone is "the issue" - Samsung Galaxy 2 Epic 4G Touch from Sprint.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20