Advantages to ics vs gb??

mr tibbs

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
So, with all the negative posts about the forced "upgrade" to ics I was wondering what the advantages were verses gb? So far i don't mind the change, but an really disappointed with the loss of foxfi. What at some of the new features i should now be using with gb?

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Features? I dunno. But my GPS finally locates me pretty quick instead of taking five minutes.

Oh I thought of a feature. I can use "Launcher" now instead of being stuck with Touchwiz.

I was going to be silly and start listing problem issues as "features," but I've decided against it.

xtn

shortyjacobs

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Biggest one for me is the GPS lock is faster due to FF18 updating cell ID correctly. EL29 did not, so GPS locks took a while, (with GPS off, the damn phone thought I was still at home and connected to the tower near my house, not 30 miles away at work). This meant all my Llama profiles refused to work, since Llama relies on cell tower info.

PanchoPlanet

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I guess that there aren't to many if any advantages to ics vs gb.
The main advantage of gingerbread is that your already there and every thing works the way is supposed to.
Pp.

Sent from the future using Mayan technology.

PanchoPlanet

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Well I guess no one can stick up for ICS on the Epic touch, it just shows that it does not work to good, its just so so if your phone is an electronic entertainment gadget that doesn't need to be reliable (making, recieving calls)then I guess it works for you, oh and don't forget the extra batteries and charger.

Hey I ran ICS on my Epic and it was fun and interesting for a while, some of the early builds where pretty good, with so so battery life. But as new builds where coming out it just got worse. And forget about jb , that's even worse .
ICS advantages, :':)-:)-[ not. Gingerbread advantages ;):D:-D +++.

Pp. :)

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Android Central Forums

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Stock ICS launcher is a big thing for me. Love the shortcuts and folder creation. Way better than AWD or Touchwiz. If you want to use Nova or Apex Launcher, you need ICS as well.

I really like Chrome Browser, and it's now my default browser. Dolphin gets unresponsive and frustrating at times. Too many times. And Chrome let's me post in tons of forums that Dolphin did not work with.

And unlike GB, I've never had to reboot the phone to get GPS lock in Navigation. It also hasn't put me two streets over either.

It's not the biggest list, but for me, the stock launcher let me set up my homescreen exactly the way I wanted it, and it wouldn't have even been possible with a 3rd party launcher in GB. Folders are very customizable in ICS, and it's a really big deal for me. And Chrome is so much less frustrating than Dolphin ever was. Those are two things I'm constantly using, so to have them improved this way made it way worth it for me.

byrdcfmma

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
On GB, everything works the way its supposed to. IMO, there is no advantage to upgrading to stock ICS. After root and custom ROM, different animal altogether.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, it goes something like this. On the whole, ICS is an improvement over GB. However, Touchwiz GB is better than Touchwiz ICS on this phone. It was Samsung's shortcomings not Google's. Too bad really. Maybe they'll get it right with JB, assuming this phone sees it officially.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

bluemagicx

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Broken Wifi, bad battery life and constant roaming alerts where the biggest problems when I and my wife did the upgrade. (factory reset did not fix any of these) So flashed back to Gingerbread with Odin and phones run great.

byrdcfmma

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Broken Wifi, bad battery life and constant roaming alerts where the biggest problems when I and my wife did the upgrade. (factory reset did not fix any of these) So flashed back to Gingerbread with Odin and phones run great.

You should checkout an ICS like CM9 to see how an ICS Is supposed to work. You can keep your EL29 OR EL26 modem if you are happy with it.

PanchoPlanet

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, it goes something like this. On the whole, ICS is an improvement over GB. However, Touchwiz GB is better than Touchwiz ICS on this phone. It was Samsung's shortcomings not Google's. Too bad really. Maybe they'll get it right with JB, assuming this phone sees it officially.

I respect your opinion, but my opinion is that the Epic is so gingerbread friendly, that pushing ics into it defeats the purpose and simplistic reliability of this device when it comes to running gingerbread.

If you need a reliable phone that has great networking ability, every day, on a day to day basis, then refuse the ics ota, block it, and your all set to get the most out of this Samsung product.
If you don't need reliability out of your phone and you want to tinker with it all day long, and you like to carry spare batteries and chargers around then go for it, ics, jelly bean, banana cream pie, what ever floats your boat, but do read the threads before you have an epic fit.

Pp. :)

Ps. Not directed at you personally JayWill72, I know you know your stuff. :D

byrdcfmma

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
How is this for battery use. Not many calls today, but many emails an texts, plus 1 hour on a podcast.

CM9 ICS

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349220016644.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349220016644.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 28

PanchoPlanet

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
How is this for battery use. Not many calls today, but many emails an texts, plus 1 hour on a podcast.

CM9 ICS

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

That's pretty good for ics cm 9,you have your setup dialed in and it shows according to your battery usage.
Your choice of apps, widgets, and settings is clearly working for you, now if every one could copy your setup ics could be successful in the Epic Touch.
You should post screen shots so others can copy your setup. This right up there with gingerbread.

Pp.

byrdcfmma

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes, so far this has been working beyond my expectations. What I am using is the latest CM9 build with Cobalt Theme and EL29 modem. I tried the the latest 5-6 modems for ICS, but since I dont live in a 4G area, the EL29 works best for me. Also, on the CM9 I did read the suggestions to restrict batt drain, but the only suggestion I am using is keep wifi on during sleep only when plugged in. It seems to work well. Let me know what screenshots you want and I will post them up.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
That's pretty good for ics cm 9,you have your setup dialed in and it shows according to your battery usage.
Your choice of apps, widgets, and settings is clearly working for you, now if every one could copy your setup ics could be successful in the Epic Touch.
You should post screen shots so others can copy your setup. This right up there with gingerbread.

Pp.

Pound for pound, CM9 is equal to the battery performance of GB Touchwiz on this phone. However, not without a few tweaks. CM9 doesn't play nice with the notification light for some reason, so I turn it off. There are also some issues with system sounds, so I turn off touch sounds.

You have to fiddle with CM9 a bit, but it's strengths far out weight the negatives in my view.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Pound for pound, CM9 is equal to the battery performance of GB Touchwiz on this phone. However, not without a few tweaks. CM9 doesn't play nice with the notification light for some reason, so I turn it off. There are also some issues with system sounds, so I turn off touch sounds.

You have to fiddle with CM9 a bit, but it's strengths far out weight the negatives in my view.

When I was running CM9 I did all of the above as well... I'm a Chef and I use my phone a lot through out the day for all kinds of things. I also kept all of my radios off(wifi,3g,4g) and would only turn them on when I needed to check for or send off emails, Google searches and the so on... I was getting over 24 hours of use on one charge.

Running CM10 now and I'm getting around 16 to 18 hours of use on one charge. Setup and radio control is the key...

Sent From My GalaxyClass StarShip 10.1/4.1.1(jb)

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
When I was running CM9 I did all of the above as well... I'm a Chef and I use my phone a lot through out the day for all kinds of things. I also kept all of my radios off(wifi,3g,4g) and would only turn them on when I needed to check for or send off emails, Google searches and the so on... I was getting over 24 hours of use on one charge.

Running CM10 now and I'm getting around 16 to 18 hours of use on one charge. Setup and radio control is the key...

Cool man. On the flip side, I can't run CM10 with the current available kernel and get through the day on a charge with my normal usage. I need my radios on at all times, like most people. Glad it's working for you though. JB has some neat features.

TWC_SouthPhilly

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Cool man. On the flip side, I can't run CM10 with the current available kernel and get through the day on a charge with my normal usage. I need my radios on at all times, like most people. Glad it's working for you though. JB has some neat features.

Ya JB is well.... Buttery smooth(sorry had to). The whole radio control thing works for me, with the environment I work in it better for me to not have my phone in a pocket... When I get a chance to step way from my line to grab a smoke or something I'm in the habit of grabbing my phone and pop 3G on to check for emails and such... Just works for me.

third son

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Fully agree with this post. I have been on CM9 beta1 since it came out. Great battery life and a helluva lot of fun!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar