Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Default ICS OTA Update Problem

Hi guys,

I recently flashed my phone to rooted stock from CM9 alpha version. I wanted to download the OTA update for the E4GT to ICS. However, after downloading the update, the screen rebooted and then the error image appeared (triangle with exclamation point and Android man).

Did I do something wrong when flashing back to stock? It didn't give me any problems...just this.

Please help!

Global Posts
    1,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Sounds like signature verification failed. You have to be fully stock, no mods, anything.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Official OpenROM Developer
    Want to contribute to OpenROM? Click HERE.
    Want to view my personal GitHub? Click HERE.

ROM
    CM10

Yeah you can't even be rooted to ota updates. Try going to dark knights manual ota update thread where you can manually flash it (its rooted) via Odin one-click.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: ICS OTA Update Problem

Quote Originally Posted by lifehacker101 View Post
    Yeah you can't even be rooted to ota updates. Try going to dark knights manual ota update thread where you can manually flash it (its rooted) via Odin one-click.

Just to clarify, your phone can be rooted and successfully install a OTA update. However, besides being rooted, your phone needs to be 100% stock (ROM, kernel, modem, recovery, and no system apps uninstalled). CM9 is about as far from being stock as it gets, so it's no surprise the OTA install failed.

Although, I'm really confused as to why you would want to install the OTA update while on CM9 in the first place. In fact, I'm even more confused as to how your phone even downloaded the update while on CM9. Did you download the manual OTA update, moved it to your phone and are trying to install that? CM9 is already ICS, and a totally different operating system at that. Was it your intention to go back to the ICS Touchwiz ROM? If so, you'll need to flash it. The best way to do that is to flash the FF18 rooted Odin One-Click.
    Current Device: LG G2 (D800 - AT&T)
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Just to clarify, your phone can be rooted and successfully install a OTA update. However, besides being rooted, your phone needs to be 100% stock (ROM, kernel, modem, recovery, and no system apps uninstalled). CM9 is about as far from being stock as it gets, so it's no surprise the OTA install failed.

Although, I'm really confused as to why you would want to install the OTA update while on CM9 in the first place. In fact, I'm even more confused as to how your phone even downloaded the update while on CM9. Did you download the manual OTA update, moved it to your phone and are trying to install that? CM9 is already ICS, and a totally different operating system at that. Was it your intention to go back to the ICS Touchwiz ROM? If so, you'll need to flash it. The best way to do that is to flash the FF18 rooted Odin One-Click.
    Actually, I went FROM cm9 TO stock, using Odin. I then proceeded to install CWM for that version (EL29). After that, I charged the phone to full, while it downloaded the update. When I chose to install the new update, the phone rebooted, started to turn on, and suddenly it showed me the error.

Based on what you guys are saying, was I supposed to NOT use the ODIN flash method?

Global Posts
    1,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by JayWill72 View Post

He flashed back to stock from CM9 to get the update. Maybe a custom recovery is causing the failure?

Official OpenROM Developer
    Want to contribute to OpenROM? Click HERE.
    Want to view my personal GitHub? Click HERE.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

If so, then how can I do a regular, stock recovery? Factory reset?

Global Posts
    975 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9...on both devices

Quote Originally Posted by rhizon15 View Post
    If so, then how can I do a regular, stock recovery? Factory reset?
    Odin flash back to EL29 and don't choose to install CWM recovery.... It's not stock.!!!!

Just use the one click Odin package you used.

But m8... You have to answer me/use 1 thing.... Why do you want the OTA from Sprint.... You were running one of the best roms available for this phone!!!

Sent From My GalaxyClass StarShip 10.1/4.1.1(jb)
    Devices: Samsung Galaxy SII Epic Touch 4G
    Samsung Galaxy10.1 16gb, Wifi
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPhilly View Post
    Odin flash back to EL29 and don't choose to install CWM recovery.... It's not stock.!!!!

Just use the one click Odin package you used.

But m8... You have to answer me/use 1 thing.... Why do you want the OTA from Sprint.... You were running one of the best roms available for this phone!!!

Sent From My GalaxyClass StarShip 10.1/4.1.1(jb)
    The reason was this: this was the first time ever flashing a custom rom, and I was unintentionally installing the alpha version of cm9.

This version took a serious toll on my phone's battery life, and so after having it for a few weeks I tried to update it to the rc2 version.

That didn't work, so I decided to just upgrade to the official version of ICS, and maybe root again. Then this problem happened. But I. I definitely going to try the flash again, and see what happens.

Question, though: when I used the Odin one click, it says that it would stay rooted. Shouldn't I be flashing a rom without the root, to update officially?

Your OTA update install failed because you installed CWM first. That was your mistake, as the update will fail if you have a non-stock recovery on your phone. Simply being rooted is fine however, and installing an OTA update will remove root.

If you do not want to have your phone rooted anymore, flash the EL29 Odin One-Click then download and install the OTA update.

If you want root, flash the FF18 Odin One-Click and you'll be on the current official build.
    Current Device: LG G2 (D800 - AT&T)
    Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Awesome! Thanks for the replies guys. I'll do that update ASAP and I'll give an update later.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Thanks a lot guys, it's working excellently.