Sprint charging for Whatsapp international text

Dewayneg

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Whatsapp for a while on Verizon but I recently switched to Sprint and noticed that text messages I send using Whatsapp are appearing on my phone bill and I'm being charged $0.20 each for them.

According to Whatsapp, this should not be the case.

I found a single message about this on another forum, but no other information.

Has anyone seen this or know about it?

Thanks
(I'm using the Epic 3G Touch with ICS 4.04)

coachdvc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
My parents are in Panama and I text them all the time with Whatsapp. My bill has been the same from Sprint. I have the same phone and ICS too.

Dewayneg

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, haven't heard back from Whatsapp and I'm a bit hesitant to call sprint

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

thenameisnigel

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, haven't heard back from Whatsapp and I'm a bit hesitant to call sprint

If you're not doing annything wrong, you shouldn't be hesitant about calling them. Just call, and ask why are you getting charged, and can you receive a credit, for every charge you've received in the last 30 days.

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Unless he is actually sending them SMS instead of WhatsAPP which is a IM client which uses your data connection.

Dewayneg

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm definitely sending them with Whatsapp. My hesitation for calling sprint had to do with no wanting to have to deal with customer service who will have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm not the only one who has seen this.

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I have been using whatsapp to text my buddy in Korea and my cousin in Japan for like 2 years. No charge. From sprint or whatsapp.

I use the uprooted sprint epic 4g touch on wifi 3g and 4g.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

skybabe72

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I just called Sprint to find out why my mom was getting charged and I wasn't. I have the Galaxy S II and she has Galaxy S III. According to Sprint, since WhatsApp is a third party and not affiliated with Sprint, they can't adjust the charges. The supervisor explained to me that WhatsApp should be used on WiFi because it uses too much data to send on normal 3G. I have used my phone on WiFi and on 3G using WhatsApp with no extra charges. So if someone can tell me what's going on, I would greatly appreciate it!!! Oh and also, don't bother calling Sprint because they won't be able to help :(

BajanCutie

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I have an iPhone on Sprint and the same thing is happening to me. It seems they are also charging me for my Google Voice calls to Canada (Google Voice calls are supposed to be free to Canada and the US). I just got off the phone with Sprint and after two hours on the same call and being transferred from department to department and having to explain my problem EACH time (they transferred me about 9 different times) the matter still isn't resolved. The call finally ended, because it dropped (another reason why I am forced to use Google Voice, I can't get Sprint service indoors) and the rep didn't even call me back. So I'll have to call Sprint Customer service again and start all over explaining my problem again. I was trying to get this matter resolved since last night. That call last night was a one hour call that was eventually escalated to a supervisor because the reps couldn't find any information to explain why I was being charged. The supervisor proceeded to tell me, "when you're going around using 3rd party software to try to dodge our charges that's what happens. We have software to see when you're trying to dodge us, and we're well within our rights to charge you." That was very rude, but if that wasn't enough, I proceeded to explain to him that I don't appreciate his language and I'm not trying to dodge Sprint's charges, I simply use my google voice app because I can't get sprint service in my apartment or most indoors in the area I live. So I use google voice because it uses my internet wifi and enables me to get service. His response was: "Sprint's not responsible if you're not getting service inside a building." So there you have it. My age old question answered. Why are more people on Verizon than all the other networks combined when Verizon is so expensive? It's because Sprint SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

asd216

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I have an iPhone on Sprint and the same thing is happening to me. It seems they are also charging me for my Google Voice calls to Canada (Google Voice calls are supposed to be free to Canada and the US). I just got off the phone with Sprint and after two hours on the same call and being transferred from department to department and having to explain my problem EACH time (they transferred me about 9 different times) the matter still isn't resolved. The call finally ended, because it dropped (another reason why I am forced to use Google Voice, I can't get Sprint service indoors) and the rep didn't even call me back. So I'll have to call Sprint Customer service again and start all over explaining my problem again. I was trying to get this matter resolved since last night. That call last night was a one hour call that was eventually escalated to a supervisor because the reps couldn't find any information to explain why I was being charged. The supervisor proceeded to tell me, "when you're going around using 3rd party software to try to dodge our charges that's what happens. We have software to see when you're trying to dodge us, and we're well within our rights to charge you." That was very rude, but if that wasn't enough, I proceeded to explain to him that I don't appreciate his language and I'm not trying to dodge Sprint's charges, I simply use my google voice app because I can't get sprint service in my apartment or most indoors in the area I live. So I use google voice because it uses my internet wifi and enables me to get service. His response was: "Sprint's not responsible if you're not getting service inside a building." So there you have it. My age old question answered. Why are more people on Verizon than all the other networks combined when Verizon is so expensive? It's because Sprint SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow his responses were completely uncalled for. I hope you got his name and employee number so you can report him.

Sprint's CS never does anything to help their customers. They're there simply just to tell you no we can not help you. I'm seriously thinking of paying the ETF just to get away from Sprint.

Posted via Android Central App

kgzero

May 2, 2011
Visit site
BajanCutie, was this ever resolved? I'm trying to use google voice over wifi while in mexico to call back home. If i'm in airplane mode with only wifi on, shouldn't I be OK?

skrami

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I have Tmobile service, and unlimeted data plan. I have been charged for txt using whatsapp for .20 per message. I called Tmobile 3 times, chatted with them. Can not get anywhere. Same answere 3rd party app. When you ask them in the beging that if I send message over whatsapp, it should be free, then they will tell you that yes. But as soon as you tell them about the charges, then it is third part app. I have send message to whatsapp, they never got back to me.
Any body elase have problem like this?

josearmz10789

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok I'm on sprint and used whatsapp and never had that problem. I did get charged once but called em immediately and got my hard earned .20 cents back. They said it was international text but I just said I don't have family outside the us so I was refunded the money.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app