Help! Strange Alarm keeps going off!

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I need some help, I'm going crazy trying to figure out why my phone is producing a strange alarm sound at intervals (I haven't measured the intervals but about once an hour).

And it starts after a cold boot.

The sound that is playing is not a sound file that is even in the list of selectable sounds from ringtones or notifications.

I'm beginning to think it's some kind of virus.

I'm trying to collect a log file to post up here so someone might read it and tell me where its coming from.

When I have a good log file I will update this message with it.

Has anyone encountered this before?

Thanks!

Rob

Rob

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

oversteer325

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Check your messaging app to make sure you aren't recieving CMAS weather or emergency alerts. They make a strange sound similar to the emergency alert test sound on your TV. If you are using the stock messaging app they will show up as messages with a red triangle and if you are using a 3rd party messaging app they may not show up or they may be garbled text.

TomD

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
If you haven't found it yet, just text END to 266781.

You will get an acknowledgment.

Also Messaging-->Settings-->Emergency Alerts and turn off alerts you don't want.

I did both.

Every time it rains here in Vegas. We get a bunch of weather alerts and they are usually late.

Anyone know how to turn them off on Cox Cable?

paulhead

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
was having probs with my yahoo mail app so I deleted and re installed it. Upon re installation I noticed a periodic alert/notification but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Finally I went into my email settings and found it was the culprit.

Dan Swanstrom

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I bought the HTC One from Verizon the day it came out. On that very day I too started getting a strange alarm on my phone at random intervals. I could not silence the alarm unless I completely turned the phone off. The people at the Verizon store had never heard of this but they promptly exchanged the phone for me. The new phone worked great for a week and now I'm getting the same alarm again! Not sure what to do to get this alarm silenced for good - very annoying!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I bought the HTC One from Verizon the day it came out. On that very day I too started getting a strange alarm on my phone at random intervals. I could not silence the alarm unless I completely turned the phone off. The people at the Verizon store had never heard of this but they promptly exchanged the phone for me. The new phone worked great for a week and now I'm getting the same alarm again! Not sure what to do to get this alarm silenced for good - very annoying!
Is there any alert/notification that appears in the status bar when the alarm is sounded?

jabbeard

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
For Galaxy s4 go to email settings》general settings》priority sender settings》ring tones》 silent . I HOPE THIS WILL BE HELPFUL.

FAISAL

I just saw a video explaining nfc and the same sound went off. I have a phone wallet and a bank card with an nfc chip. .. I think it could be the phone trying to connect to it!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

GANote3

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
It is nfc. I disabled it sound went away I tyrned it back sound cames back. I took a nfc tag of mine and tapped it and alarm went away for a min but came back. I tapped it again and this time it has not came back.

Sent from my SM-N900V using AC Forums mobile app

babahow

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
As some people already said, it is from a messenger app. However, if you have changed your messenger app to another one that is not the original one, the original messenger app will still receive all kinds of alerts such as severe weather alerts or amber alerts. But they will not be displayed in the visual notifications area. So you just have to get to the original messenger app and change the setting for receiving public alert messages.

Yeah, I was very annoyed by the non-stopping screaming alarms without knowing what they were about. But finally figured out they were amber alerts without visual notifications.

DismalTrix

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
Same thing happens to me.... Its always this annoying and bouncy song with some guy saying some unrecognizable words .... But the sound file is nowhere to be found .....and when I stand up to see where its coming from, it turns off by itself

Ms chelle0629

May 21, 2018
Visit site
Hi, I figured out what this is. This is different than what they were talking about on the above thread but I'm glad you posted. Turns out I downloaded a useless app called Alarm Clock Radio or something like that and it totally took over my regular alarm even though I never opened the app once. It's some guy with a ridiculous accent and at the end of each sentence he uses a word that sounds English but my brain can process what it is. It may be some real accent and language but what if it's not and if he's taking while I'm sleeping there's no telling what he can be telling my subconscious! So just search your phone for the words alarm, radio and clock and delete them all except for the native app that was pre-installed and see if any sneaky apps have overtaken your phone.

Jay Dee 5

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
Hi all,

I need some help, I'm going crazy trying to figure out why my phone is producing a strange alarm sound at intervals (I haven't measured the intervals but about once an hour).

And it starts after a cold boot.

The sound that is playing is not a sound file that is even in the list of selectable sounds from ringtones or notifications.

I'm beginning to think it's some kind of virus.

I'm trying to collect a log file to post up here so someone might read it and tell me where its coming from.

When I have a good log file I will update this message with it.

Has anyone encountered this before?

Thanks!

Rob

Rob

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I have the same sound that happens randomly once a day, it started after the presidential alert, it sounds like an Amber alert. No idea why it happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007