Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By silx29#AC
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Phone Shutdowns

My GSII has developed a nasty habit lately; it has taken to turning itself off, about once a day. After I restart the phone manually, I notice it takes a big drop in battery life. (See the rightmost edge of attachment.)

After the initial ICS update, I was seeing this happen multiple times an hour, then rooted to EL29 and saw the restarts happen less frequently. I'm now on the newest ICS update (and unrooted) and I'm experiencing the restarts about one time each day, on average.

I performed a factory reset and cleared my cache just after I updated; I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing a similar problem or has any advice to troubleshoot here. Other than that, I'm thinking I may need to head to the Sprint store.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Phone Shutdowns-screenshot_2012-08-30-15-43-15.png  

Default Re: Phone Shutdowns

Yes,this has happened to me twice since updating to FH13. Unrooted, factory reset & cache cleared.

Me, too.

when I do a restart the battery drops drastically
    Queendroid

Global Posts
    910 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

This happened to me yesterday at work. I was at about 60% then felt my phone vibrate so pulled it out to check as I thought it was a message. It had rebooted itself and dropped to 19% :sly:

It's the only time it's happened so far. I'm on the FH13 leak, not the OTA, fwiw.

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch

this has been happening to my phone for awhile now, ever since very first gingerbread update. It's been happening more frequently now days so I took my phone to sprint and they determined that it was my battery so they ordered me a new one. We'll see if the new battery fixes this issue.

Last edited by silx29; 08-30-2012 at 10:39 PM.
    Samsmalls likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Hmm... Good to see I'm not alone, but not so great that it seems to be a common solution with no answer.

I've got an extra battery, in fact -- I'll try installing that and see if it makes any difference. Keep the posts about the forced restarts coming! The more people sharing this experience the better our chances of getting an answer, I'd think.

ROM
    SGS2= Rooted FF18

It happens to me occasionally.I am running rooted FF18. Battery life is decent, but I am also using battery defender app. (I also have a 3200mah battery) Without app on:24-28hours before I feel I should charge, With app on: I can go two solid days. When CM10 comes out, I am installing it.

My battery was bloated and caused the same symptoms you describe. Remember if you can spin it on a table. Change it. New battery no problems niw

sent from my BAD A$$ Epic touch
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by patrao_n View Post
    My battery was bloated and caused the same symptoms you describe. Remember if you can spin it on a table. Change it. New battery no problems niw

sent from my BAD A$$ Epic touch
    Oh so if you can spin it, change it. Even its flat and spins, I should change it? Cause I am having this issue too. Battery can be at 70% and then shuts off and actually goes to 0% on mine. Once I plug in the charger it will sometimes go back to the original 70% or lower. I wonder if my charger is the culprit at all its a microusb but it was for my blackberry cause the charger for the Epic 4G Touch is just the USB with the AC adapter on it.

Mine does this if I turn it off and pull the battery but not when I just restart it. I got a new battery in February so it should be okay.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Update from the OP: I popped in a new battery on Friday, charged it, and haven't experienced the random shut-downs over the weekend. Hopefully this will continue throughout the work week (when Exchange sync, commute usage, and varied Wifi/3G connections make for a bigger strain on the phone.)
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by ej1987 View Post
    Oh so if you can spin it, change it. Even its flat and spins, I should change it? Cause I am having this issue too. Battery can be at 70% and then shuts off and actually goes to 0% on mine. Once I plug in the charger it will sometimes go back to the original 70% or lower. I wonder if my charger is the culprit at all its a microusb but it was for my blackberry cause the charger for the Epic 4G Touch is just the USB with the AC adapter on it.
    This is exactly the problem I'm having. I've wondered if the new updates toasted some batteries that were near the end of their life, or the if the timing of the updates was coincidentally with our batteries being at their EOL. Either way, it seems like they need to be replaced.

I just ordered a new OEM Samsung battery from an Amazon vendor for $12 (shipped). Here's a link.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quick update to this thread: it seemed the battery was culpable. I replaced it with a new one a little over a week ago and have not experienced the random shut-downs since.

Me too. I put in a new battery, as well, and the shutdowns ceased. Battery life is much improved, though I don't know if it is similar to when it won GB.