Trying to Root from FH13

sammad

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hello all,
I am trying to root my stock SGS2. I am using qbking77 tutorial on YouTube and I have a dilemma. After I download the file needed,follow the directions it says it has completed however its not rooted. I used root checker from the play store to confirm this. Also, my phone never reboots automatically like in the tutorial. One other thing, when I run the odin app, it says "E4GT FH13 Root NODATA" qbking's says "Restore" in the title. I have downloaded and tried both the rooted and the unrooted version of the software with no success.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you
sammad

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
One file erases everything and the other keeps all of your stuff. Not really sure unless you somehow missed a step or something. Maybe they are bad file downloads, and did you check the md5 sum. Also how did you try to do this on a pc Odin or mobile Odin. You can always head over to xda and read everything over their. There is instructions step by step on the one click root methods.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

sammad

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply GiantJay. I tried multiple times with both versions of the files with no luck. I did head over to xda and I am following all steps properly, the phone just never reboots when it says completed. I have to select the power button to reboot after complete but the phone is still not rooted. Regarding your question on pc odin or mobile odin, the top of the software says odin3Execution v1.81 and it was downloaded from here Rwilco12's Android Repository. And neither one says "Restore" on the top of the app like qbking77 as well.
Any additional help is appreciated..thank you!

Last edited:

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you are on mobile Odin which means you bare doing everything from your phone and not connecting to a pc with a usb to flash from Odin. It should be the same though but I have never used mobile Odin. If you have a pc maybe try using the back Odin all the links should be on qbkings video for Odin and the one click file. Not to sure what to say unless you bare missing a step or something.

sammad

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi GiantJay, unfortunately the super user app isn't on my phone and I verified as well with root checker from the play store. It says that I am not rooted. Do I need to do anything with usb debugging first?
Thanks agsin

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
No you don't need to change usb debugging mode. You just have to be in download mode if you are using a pc to root.

byrdcfmma

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I can't tell you what you are doing wrong, but I can tell you what worked for me. What I did was roll back to GB EL29 with the one click Odin file, not mobile Odin. Find jaywill72 posts in the http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp.../194391-sprint-samsung-issuing-ics-fix-2.html thread. There is also step by step link in his signature. The one click Odin file makes things a lot easier the first time.

After I spent a few days in GB EL29 I installed mobile odin and rolled back to EL26 w/ CWM recovery and then used that as my "base" to move to CM9 ICS.

Using the one step Odin file helped me understand the process first made it easier to understand the more advanced processes. Following jaywill72's posts and watching the QBKING's videos on this process made a huge difference to me .

Like I said, I'm new to this as well. Been rooted for about three weeks and this is what worked for me

sammad

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks byrdcfmma, I'll look over the information you have provided.

dcharleyultra

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I just used the method for my wife's FH13. It worked without a hitch.

After you started the process in One-Click, did you have a progress bar on both your PC and phone?

Lastly, your carrier is Sprint - right?

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes their carrier is Sprint, you can see that if you click on his pic to see their info.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

byrdcfmma

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I just used the method for my wife's FH13. It worked without a hitch.

After you started the process in One-Click, did you have a progress bar on both your PC and phone?

Lastly, your carrier is Sprint - right?

Yes you will see a progress bar in Odin and on your phone. I am on Sprint

sammad

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi, yes I did see the progress bar on my PC as well as on my phone. Once done PC app said completed and then phone went into reboot. It would never completed the reboot, I had to manually reboot. Again, checked for root with root checker app and looked for superuser icon, neither were there.
Thanks

sammad

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Success! The only thing I did different was use a usb port in the rear of my PC. For some reason it wouldn't root from the front usb ports. Man, I've been pulling my hair out over this. Thanks to all that have replied and helped. I greatly appreciate the all the effort! :)

sammad

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Congrats!! What did you root to, and what do you plan to do?
Thanks, I'm glad it worked. So far I just rooted to FH13. My goal is to make a backup with Titanium Backup and perhaps flash CM9/CM10 or some JB. Now my next issue or dilemma I have to figure out is why Titanium Backup keeps rebooting my phone half way through the backup. Just curious, do you recommend Clockwork MOD prior to flashing a ROM. I'm open to any and all suggestion you or anyone may have as I learn the process. Thanks

Last edited:

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I recommend going to xda and reading. You have to follow the op on what is a safe recovery to flash from. Definitely check out qbking77 com or on YouTube he has a video for most roms and how to install them with the links, that and read for whatever rom you want to install. I love cm9 beta 1 I have very minor issues with it, just make sure you do a clean install or you could run into problems. This is all explained in the op of each rom on how to install and what not. If you do want to use a tb backup and install cm9, not sure about cm10 I've never installed it, you do not want to restore data from it. It will cause issues. I think they recommend app backup or app back, something like that which just let's you reinstall yours apps instead of the data with it. Anyway congrats and good luck, make sure you read a lot and watch videos on what you are doing and you will be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21