Google contacts not syncing

JBray0072

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
This is the same problem I've been having for some time now. On two different phones. It always states can't sync with servers try again later. Is there a fix it's really starting to bother me and they can't fix it at sprint. Thanks

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Go into the app and clear data or un install and install again. Go into settings and look at the sync options to make sure what you want is on then go into the actual app and go to settings and make sure sync is all on and whatever time interval you want it to sync for. What build are you on?

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

JBray0072

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Stock..4.04 what app do I go in? The tech at sprint said he did that and it worked for an hour and quit.

rushter

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue. I have a newer ROM but it appears that the Contacts and Contacts Storage apps have not really changed much, or if at all.
I am rooted so understand that. I doubt it will make a difference.
So here goes - there are actually two apps you need to clear the data from...
Go to settings-apps. Then Contacts-force stop-ok-clear data. Then go to Contacts Storage-force stop-ok-clear data. Then go to Accounts-click on your gmail account and then uncheck Contacts and recheck it. This will restart sync. After this, you should be good to go. :)

JBray0072

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't matter just added a new contact to gmail and it went back to freezing up again..this sucks.

6thGearHead

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I had the same issue. I have a newer ROM but it appears that the Contacts and Contacts Storage apps have not really changed much, or if at all.
I am rooted so understand that. I doubt it will make a difference.
So here goes - there are actually two apps you need to clear the data from...
Go to settings-apps. Then Contacts-force stop-ok-clear data. Then go to Contacts Storage-force stop-ok-clear data. Then go to Accounts-click on your gmail account and then uncheck Contacts and recheck it. This will restart sync. After this, you should be good to go. :)

Thanks for the good info. My sync got stuck (contacts had disappeared on my phone in the process which was odd) and your tips cleared it and got it going. Thanks!

Lazo7

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I followed the instructions on how to set up a cardDAV account from the google website http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=275307. Everything went fine, except when I try to create a new contact. I have 281 contacts on my iCloud account, and when i switch to google it say i have 290. When i check mark both accounts i have 298.
So my first question is, when I set up carddav, why do i have extra contacts on Google if carDAV works smoothly with iOS?

If I modify anything in iCloud, it gets sync'd to google. However if I try to add a new contact in Apple Contacts it doesn't show up in google anymore; the reverse is also true.
With my old contacts i see on each entry an iCloud and cardDAV (Linked Contacts). On new entries there is no such link.

In my Apple Contacts preferences, I left the default account as iCloud. If I change it to google per the instructions, then new contacts are added to google, but not added to Apple Contacts.

This new cardDAV approach seems very close, but not exactly what I need. Gmail is my primary email, but Apple Contacts is my primary address book. My devices are all Apple: Macbook, iPad and iPhone 5. iCloud works perfectly between the devices. I want to add google as a "device" to this arrangement, because I got a Nexus 4 that Im trying out, and want to sync back and forth between the two device. Is there any way to accomplish what I am trying to do?

Thanks in advance for the help.

xyz5411

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
i have to keep repeating the steps.. it always sync once and the next time the error is up again. and whenever i clear data.. contacts not synced will be deleted :(

Bry492

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
thank you very much for ur post ur solution worked a treat for me as my contacts had been shown in triplicate and when I erased them I found that i could not restore from the google server until I tried ur fix

Kani_Kaninson

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot buddy. This fixed my contact, internet and calendar sync problem on my rooted Galaxy S3. It was weird as it wouldn't sync and it said try back shortly, so I thought it was an issue with google servers or something, but then i added a second gmail account that I had and that one synced just fine, so I figured it's something to do with my phone and I started searching for a solution and when I tried yours it worked like a charm. So thank you very much for the great tip. ...respect.

John Bohn

May 2, 2013
Visit site
All of the Google sync services are atrocious. It's the one thing I absolutely can't stand on Android. I used to sync to iCloud. When I added something on my phone, it instantly appeared online. Google never syncs right and I usually just add them manually anyway. It's true for contacts and photos. Instant upload is about as bad as contacts. I'm looking to find a way to seamlessly sync photos, contacts, calendar and mail with iCloud.

Even Youmail syncs better than Google.

Akria181

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the exact same problem on my Nexus 4, ever since 4.1 (now running 4.3). Whenever I add a new contact on my phone, I save it under my gmail account (not phone memory) but the sync just freezes up. It will not sync from phone to gmail, and gmail to phone is sketchy once it freezes up.

I hate how Android is full of features but incomplete. It feels half cooked and still in Beta.

*Edit

After a couple hours of playing around, it appears Go Contacts was creating the problem. If I created a new contact with Go Contacts, it would break the sync. If I use the stock android app, it works. Guess I'll have to switch back to stock for the time being. Unfortunate since the Go App looks much better

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2