Airave, That was TOO Easy

markta

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I just called Sprint to complain about how my service seemed to have diminished at my house (hills of Western MA) recently, expecting them to check any changes to the local towers. They suggested that I try Airave, I replied that last time I called about Airave, you wanted to charge me for the unit and a monthly charge. Today they said 'We want to keep our customers happy, so we will give it to you for free with no monthly charge' I thought 'WHOA, Really?' Yup for free!!! I tried not to get too excited....Should I be excited? It must be a promotion b/c it is on backorder..

Thoughts?

Mark

Sent from my 'Corded Rotary Dial Phone'

Last edited:

anon(680971)

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Airwave, That was TOO Easy

Before you hook it up do a speedtest on your internet from a device closest to your router. Then after you hook it up see what the speed is from the device. Personally I'd try with a wired and a wireless device and check again because I've heard of internet service heavily degrading but that was on the Airrave and not this 2.5 version. Also heard of issues with lowering your wifi router signal but this was second hand so don't know the setup they had or if they were putting the Airrave and router right next to one another, which to me would seem to cause issues in theory.

Just so you know it is common practice to get someone to finally offer that device up for free as that was what got me into knowing the airrave existed was when I had a Samsung Moment and as they added towers my signal degraded around this area. They don't want everyone to own one, and from what I've read essentially it is a cellular tower, so essentially if some stranger on a sprint phone was in your front yard, they would get the boost and use of your Airrave. Also you are using your internet connection to supplement their signal so be wary if you have a cap.

fetterjohn

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

I have one in my house since I too had bad service and threatened to cancel. Once it has been turned on and has all green lights, you can go into your Sprint account, go into the AirRave account and allow access to only those numbers that you want...or you can leave it open for the world. Your choice. I preferred to have it open to only my three devices.

Works nice!

Samsmalls

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

Yes you should be excited not because you got it for free but because it works well! Nothing new I've had mine courtesy of Sprint for years. mines is also open, & it's also in the basement less thantwo feet away from therouter withno problems! You'll enjoy it even data's snappier!

smoroeace

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

Of course they give them away. Its a win-win for them. They save a customer, and they pull that customer OFF OF THE NETWORK for the entire time they are home, reducing network traffic. I expect a day when they try to force them onto all of us as 4G hotspot. I got a $175 credit to my account and a free Airwave. They want to use my internet to give me service, so I made them pay for it.

markta

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the input. Like i said, last time we asked about it they told us it would cost $99 plus a $4/month fee.
AirRave

Mark

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the input. Like i said, last time we asked about it they told us it would cost $99 plus a $4/month fee.
AirRave

Mark

They usually won't jump right out and offer you a free one right out of the gate, but if you have a few service calls in about no coverage at home, and may have mentioned that you're considering switching carriers, it's not uncommon to offer it for free as part of their customer retention program.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995