Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By davis.rob
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Having to reset wi-fi after phone rests....

Wondering if anyone else has this issue...I have to turn my wi-fi off and back on if the phone has "rested" or not been used for a while. None of my other devices in the home (tablets, pc's, husband's Blackberry) have this issue and our router is brand spanking new. Irritating to say the least.

Default Re: Having to reset wi-fi after phone rests....

Mine seems to do that occasionally. I turn WIFI off and right back on and it works. It is annoying. Off the top of my head it seems to happen at the WIFI at work but not so much at home. Hmm...

I'm using Llama to manage power and connections. Are you using it, too? I'm on ICS, non-rooted.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by ScottMGS View Post
    Mine seems to do that occasionally. I turn WIFI off and right back on and it works. It is annoying. Off the top of my head it seems to happen at the WIFI at work but not so much at home. Hmm...

I'm using Llama to manage power and connections. Are you using it, too? I'm on ICS, non-rooted.
    Well, I'm not rooted and I've never downloaded anything else to manager my connections, so whatever the phone has. Just seems that the phone has a weak modem.

Quote Originally Posted by redhdgirl417 View Post
    Wondering if anyone else has this issue...I have to turn my wi-fi off and back on if the phone has "rested" or not been used for a while. None of my other devices in the home (tablets, pc's, husband's Blackberry) have this issue and our router is brand spanking new. Irritating to say the least.
    Go in your wifi settings and see if it's set to turn off when the phone is asleep. You can choose to let it stay on.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by carole6m View Post
    Go in your wifi settings and see if it's set to turn off when the phone is asleep. You can choose to let it stay on.
    Definitely not that...not checked to sleep and it's not going to sleep, just seems the phone doesn't stay connected even though it the icon says it is and it blocks receiving a signal. I'm just not all that happy with this phone's antenna/modem at all...came from the world of Crackberry and NEVER had signal issues.

Yeah, mine does that as well ... just have to click WiFi off/on to get it back. Seems to me that it started happening after the last update, and I thought it might be caused by changes to save battery life ... but that's just a theory.

Interesting that the 'sleep' setting doesn't seem to affect it. Mine is set to stay awake "Never", which seems to help with battery life. I assumed that was causing the disconnect ... but apparently not.
    redhdgirl417 likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    Yeah, mine does that as well ... just have to click WiFi off/on to get it back. Seems to me that it started happening after the last update, and I thought it might be caused by changes to save battery life ... but that's just a theory.

Interesting that the 'sleep' setting doesn't seem to affect it. Mine is set to stay awake "Never", which seems to help with battery life. I assumed that was causing the disconnect ... but apparently not.
    I never got a chance to really use this phone on GB unfortunately as the first SGII went back after 2 days because of issues and replacement was shipped with ICS update already done on it, but I'm betting it is all about that update as to why the phone does this.

This happens to me too! It's irritating but I think it's the phones way of saving battery. This never happend to GB btw.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by mikzx0r01 View Post
    This happens to me too! It's irritating but I think it's the phones way of saving battery. This never happend to GB btw.
    Shouldn't do that if wifi isn't set to "sleep". I can be sitting right next to my router and not be able to access the internet....really?

welcome to the crappy ICS upgrade! Both my wifes and mine did that. And it also stopped all other data from coming in as well. Thats why I am back on Gingerbread el29. The update is bad bad bad!