dj ozone

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I was having some of the typical problelms you read about on here:
  • massive battery drops
  • random shutoffs
  • unusual heat
  • power button not working

Actually the inoperable power button is what me take it in to Sprint...the only way I could turn the thing on was to connect to usb....The techs at Sprint opened up my phone and as it turned out the motherboard was corroded...water vapor from the air had seeped in at the headphone port...Inside the phone there was this white powdery like substance prolly oxidation that was near the headphone area on the motherboard...The water had got in during foggy days or timesIi took the phone into the bathroom while showering, etc.....technically my problem was water damage...

So I paid the deductible, got a refurb, and now my problems are (mostly) gone!

Tony Android

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
dj..ozone, with the words "water damage" I think you said a mouth full. I suspect that is the cause of many problems with ageing phones.

I think the most likely vectors are body perspiration and rain. This, along with lint and granular dust, will play havoc with speakers, antennas, and physical buttons.

It may look ridiculous, but when it is in my pocket I keep my $400 Epic 4G in a two cent zip lock sandwich bag, in addition to a Ballistic case. I plan to get three years out of my phone before upgrading. Only time will tell if my effort to keep it looking and working like new will succeed.

A malfunctioning expensive device is very frustrating, I am glad you solved your problem.

Tony Android

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
dj..ozone, with the words "water damage" I think you said a mouth full. I suspect that is the cause of many problems with ageing phones.

I think the most likely vectors are body perspiration and rain. This, along with lint and granular dust, will play havoc with speakers, antennas, and physical buttons.

It may look ridiculous, but when it is in my pocket I keep my $400 Epic 4G in a two cent zip lock sandwich bag, in addition to a Ballistic case (for drop protection). I plan to get three years out of my phone before upgrading. Only time will tell if my effort to keep it looking and working like new will succeed.

A malfunctioning expensive device is very frustrating, I am glad you solved your problem.

patrao_n

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
For anyone else returning your phone. Have them show you the corrosion. I know of some who go in and are told its water damage. They ask to see the corrosion and all of the sudden excuses. "Oh sorry we can't let you back there ". And then when you tell them to just bring it out to you. "Oh sorry we already cleaned it" they have no need to clean it. The board and phone will be r.m.a.'d meaning they don't need to do anything except seal it up and mail it. Even a water evident sticker does not mean there is actual water damage.

sent from my BAD A$$ Epic touch

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

It may look ridiculous, but when it is in my pocket I keep my $400 Epic 4G in a two cent zip lock sandwich bag, in addition to a Ballistic case (for drop protection). I plan to get three years out of my phone before upgrading. Only time will tell if my effort to keep it looking and working like new will succeed.

Lol, well if it makes you feel any better I stick my phone in Ziplock bags too. I usually only do it when it is raining or if I am going out on the boat or something but I have found that the snack sized bags are almost perfect for this, they are just barely wider than the phone. Also the nice thing is that the phone touch screen and all work just fine right through the bag. About the only thing that you can't do with it in a bag is charge it.