Battery swell?

arlimes

May 24, 2012
Visit site
So last night i left my phone on the charger as usual. Woke up and the battery was swollen. Phone was burning hot and wouldnt turn on. Had to go to local phonw repair store and buy an off brand battery since sprints service store is so < insert sarcasm >. Anyone else had this problem? Or know why it happened?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

ThePurpleAndroid

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Had that issue with my Transform Ultra.. They battery basically exploded inside the casing, which caused the swelling. Could been a faulty battery or faulty charger. It got too much power going to it, caused overheating, then battery exploded.

?~?~?HTC Evo Design?~?~?

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
It didn't explode. What happens is that heat degrades the battery chemicals and causes gas to build up. This gas is what's causing the battery to swell.

"Explode" would indicate some exothermic reaction. The casing would be burned and I melted in spots if that happened.

That said, batteries can explode, but you'd know it immediately.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
My husband had to take his Samsung galaxy s2 to sprint today for the same problem
Hi Jewels! Welcome to the AC Forums! Did he get the battery resolved? I had a battery problem a while back and quickly solved it by purchasing a replacement. What a world of difference a new battery makes :).

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Good test is to spin it on a flat surface.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3
This is the best way to test a bad battery. If it spins like a top (and I mean spin for a few seconds) then it's swollen and needs to be replaced. Not holding a charge, random reboots can be related to a bad battery.

bacardistuff

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
had a droid (my first) for 1.5 years. the battery exploded yesterday.... $45 to replace. I called Verizon a few times in the past about the phone feeling hot to the touch but all I got was apologies. I was so na?ve; I thought this was normal and let the matter go. I'll never have another droid as long as I live, so help me, God.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci