Help me understand storage/directories

PeaceFr0g

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I'm having a hard time figuring out where things are on my device.

First, what is USB storage? I know what a USB cable is, but don't understand what USB storage is.

When I look at my phone on my desktop (through a USB cable), there seems to be two different drives (F:/ and G:/), which seem to have almost identical sub-directories, but some of the files within those sub-directories are missing on one of the drives. Is one of these drives a backup I have created?

What is the difference between the SD card and the external SD card? I know this device doesn't have a SIM card, but there is a flat chip-like card that slides out. Is this the external SD?

Lastly, where do I want to store all my music, docs, and other files? The external SD must contain all of my contacts, etc., but do I want to clutter up this with all my music too? Or would it be better to store this within the hard drive of the device? I'm not concerned about losing this data, because I have it on my desktop computer.

Basically, I don't understand how the drive(s) on my device is structured. My computer has a C:/ drive, a D:/ drive (CD), and an E:/ drive (Recover). That's simple enough. But my phone adds a USB drive, an external SD drive, and I'm not sure what or where the main SD drive is. I'd really appreciate any help or links which explain this. Thanks.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
USB Storage, which is recognized by a computer as "sdcard", is your phone's internal storage. Think of it as a hardwired, non-removable sd card. It's basically the portion of the phone's internal memory chip available for you to store anything you want on it. Pictures, Videos, Music, files you download via mobile ... anything. The internal memory chip allocates a certain portion to your phone's system, and 2GB for user applications. The remainder is this "sd card" for you to use as you wish.

External SD card is just that ... the removable external sd card you added to your phone. You can use this storage the exact same way you use the phone's internal "sd card". Where you choose to place your files is entirely up to you.

PeaceFr0g

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Jay. I guess what's confusing me is that there is nothing under usb when I view it through Astro File Manager or even "my files". I'm also confused by the term "internal memory chip". Memory to me means ROM or RAM, which is different from a physical storage drive, no?

I just want to clean up my phone and organize my files. But they seem to appear on both the F:/ and the G:/. I'm not sure if one is a backup or not. Anyway, thanks for responding. I appreciate your help.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary