Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By packhntr
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default ICS calls 911...

You'll enjoy this one:
    Today at 5:53 AM I was innocently fiddling with my phone while I couldn't sleep because of a bad cold I have. I opened my settings to adjust my display brightness and my phone locked up...
    The little black window popped up and said "preparing network services" like when you update the network profile.
    I thought nothing of it, but then the phone dialer popped up and started calling a number (it showed my number as the one being called).
    I was like wtf? so I tried to hit End, but it wouldn't respond. The message notification light started glowing a deep red and the screen wasn't responding at all.
    I figured I'd get my voicemail, but NOOO.
    "Hello, Frederick County 9-1-1, please state the location of your emergency."

Yup. I had to explain to the local dispatcher in my sick probably-sounds-like-a-rape-victim voice how I accidentally dialed their number.

Why did stuff like this never happen with Gingerbread?
    This could have seriously gotten me in trouble and wasted my local police department's time trying to trace the call and find where I was to make sure there was no trouble had the phone automatically ended the call or something.

After he hung up, the phone rebooted and everything is back to normal...
    Has this happened to anyone else?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: ICS calls 911...

My phone updated this morning and rebooted as well...my guess would be you accidentally hit the emergency call button....also does anyone know what was actually updated?

Either a profile or perl update being pushed by sprint. Its likely a tower fix in your area. And because most sprint customers wouldn't be able to find the update menu they push it. And you did hit emergency call by accident. :thumbup:

sent from MY BAD A$$ ET4G

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

I am having this exact same issue... each and EVERY time I attempt a manual "Profile Update" in the phone settings. Luckily I can catch/stop the 911 call from going through before it happens, but the phone definitely wants to call 911. Once I hit the end button, the phone automatically forces a reboot. The other bad thing is that when the phone reboots my battery (which is generally in the 80% range) is showing as dangerously low (5-15%). --- Any feedback or recommendations are welcomed to address this annoying and potentially dangerous (unwarranted 911 call) issue.

ROM
    Stock! (For now...)

Don't do anything when it pops up. Even hitting home/return will trigger the call.
    Reach me on Twitter || Google+/Hangouts || Forums: XDA-Developers || RootzWiki

If you like the AOSP efforts and want to help get new devices on board, donations really help.
    Please continue to thank and support those who bring these great things to our devices!

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garwynn View Post
    Don't do anything when it pops up. Even hitting home/return will trigger the call.
    Thanks for the tip... but any idea why this is happening... because it obviously should not be occurring.

ROM
    Stock! (For now...)

Quote Originally Posted by drk65 View Post
    Thanks for the tip... but any idea why this is happening... because it obviously should not be occurring.
    This seems to be a new "feature" from Sprint. Even happens on GB.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

If you like the AOSP efforts and want to help get new devices on board, donations really help.
    Please continue to thank and support those who bring these great things to our devices!

ROM
    SGS2= Rooted FF18

I JUST had this happen to me last night! I was going through all the normal stuff and decided to update my profile. Next thing I know, it's dialing 911 and then rebooted. I got a call back from 911 and explained to them my stupid phone dialed 911 by itself while I was doing an update and apologized for the call. This type of thing should not be happening and needs to be stopped immediately!!!!! How do we get it to cease????

It only pops up with a countdown and a button. It doesn't call unless you push the button.

ROM
    Stock! (For now...)

Quote Originally Posted by patrao_n View Post
    It only pops up with a countdown and a button. It doesn't call unless you push the button.

...or press home, return... anything to try and make it disappear...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Thanked by:

ROM
    SGS2= Rooted FF18

Quote Originally Posted by patrao_n View Post

INCORRECT.....I DID not press the button. I pressed NOTHING! This is a major issue that needs to be resolved!
    drk65 likes this.

Lol. I just did it and didn't call anyone. Have you had touchscreen problems? Tell sprint. They pushed it on everyone

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Since my initial incident I noticed my phone calls 911 automatically after a profile update too...
    Pressing "Emergency Call" does nothing but bring up the dialer, so I couldn't have possibly just 'accidentally' pressed it.
    And I DIDN'T do a profile update the first time this happened, I was just adjusting some settings. There was no countdown, no buttons to push, nothing.
    When it calls 911 after a profile update at least I have a chance to end it while its dialing.
    Meh.

Anxious for the official JB update!

Yes, once while I was in California and twice when I was in Hawaii. Ended up going to Sprint Repair and they reset my phone. grr