Phone creates dummy image and music files resulting in gallery/music app malfunction

Skime

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I can?t find anyone who has seen or experienced this issue ? let alone figured out how to solve it. I have now experienced this issue two times and this time I am looking for a better way to solve the problem!

I have a Sprint Galaxy S II (Epic 4g) now updated to Ice Cream Sandwich. This phone is not rooted or hacked.

Immediately after the ICS update my phone began creating what can best be described as dummy files for every one of my photos and music files. The files are named the same but are dummy files (because they will not open). I have photos and music on both phone and SD card. The "dummies" were only appearing on the phone but when reviewing the SD card (on my mac) there were no ghosts on it. Strange.

Because of the dummies, gallery and the native music app do not work properly. For instance, gallery shows the actual photo and then a black icon with a white icon of a person in it - it will not open as a photo file. And the worst of it is that all of my playlist songs now say "sorry, the player does not support this type of audio file" and so none of my songs will play. The actual songs are still there and they will play if I go out of my playlist to play them - but only if you can figure out which one is the real file vs the dummy file.

The first time this happened, I finally got so frustrated I reset the phone back to factory settings and before doing so I moved any pics and music to the SD card. Additionally, I cleaned the SD card (including hidden trashes) and reloaded everything on it. (The SD card does not seem to be the problem here.) I don't have to tell you what a PITA all this was considering I am a superuser of my phone. When I reset I set my camera to take all shots onto the SD card. Unfortunately, I couldn't set all of my music to go to SD because Amazon places a file on your phone (not SD) for music downloads. I usually transfer them off to my SD card in batches.

So the fix/reset worked--for a while. It's been about a month since I reset and the dummies are now all back.

I keep thinking that I must have gotten an update to the gallery and or camera and music apps that may have caused this, but because they are native, there is no way to know or roll back to an older version that I am aware of. I also wondered if there is some other app I could have downloaded that might have caused the problem??

I also wondered if I could ensure all phone and music files were transferred to my SD card - then remove the SD card - then use manage apps to clean out the cache in each of these apps - then reinstall the SD if that would solve the problem? But I don't want to lose my stuff and I certainly don't want to hose this thing more than it is now. Anyone have suggestions on whether this will work?

Plus, it doesn't really solve the problem and make it go away - it just gives me a work around until (inevitably) it happens again. And it will.

And deleting the dummies one by one isn't an option - I have thousands of photos and songs.

I would like to avoid having to reset and start from scratch again so that's why I am putting this out on the forums.

I'd like to just buy the new Note 2 and start over but I'm not eligible for an upgrade until July and I am not paying $800 for a phone! And of course there are no guarantees that this won't happen again on the Note 2.

Has anyone else had or seen this issue? If you can provide any input or can direct me to anyone (or any forums) who can, I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks much!

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
I keep thinking that I must have gotten an update to the gallery and or camera and music apps that may have caused this, but because they are native, there is no way to know or roll back to an older version that I am aware of. I also wondered if there is some other app I could have downloaded that might have caused the problem??

Thanks much!
I don't know about the main problem, but I learned today that if it is a native app, hitting uninstall in the Play Store removes any updates.

Can you hook your phone to your computer to see the actual file names and extensions of the dummies or when they were created? The date might help you figure out what happened and it would make it easy to delete the dummy files if they have something in common you can organize them by.

Also, I'm guessing you did a Google search, but that's usually where I start when I have strange things happen on my computer.

Good luck.

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech