Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By j518
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Smile Samsung Epic 4G Touch -"Sprint ID has Stopped" FIXED!

Hello all,

So there a few threads on here and Sprint.com 's forums involving that infamous "Sprint ID has stopped" error that has been terrorizing our E4GT phones since the 4.04 FI-27 update. Well, after a few months, I have it figured out. Guys at the Sprint store told me there was nothing they could do until a new software update came out. Kinda stupid since its THEIR bloatware that is causing the problems. I knew I had to probably factory reset my phone, but I had been avoiding that for months. I tried clearing Sprint ID/Mobile ID's cache. Nothing. Switching back to twLauncher did seem to help cut back the errors, but no one wants to be on the old Touchwiz layout. Even when I tried to open up Sprint ID, the app would crash and the error would appear. Enough is enough.

For those who are still being haunted by the issue, here are the steps I took. I try to keep it simple and easy to understand. It does involve a factory reset, unfortunately.

1) Backed up my messages, settings, call records, etc with Kies. Be aware you have to used a USB cord for this, it can't be done over wi-fi.
    2)Made sure all my accounts were synched ( Settings > accounts and sync > tap "sync all" )
    4)Took a deep breath and did a factory reset. ( Settings > privacy> factory reset)
    5) Your phone will do a whole bunch of stuff, and about 4-5 minutes later, it will be back on. I noticed shortly after I turned it on, the sprint ID error popped up. I was a little nervous here.
    6) I opened up Sprint ID and download an ID pack. I chose a basic one in the Sprint folder, it was "Talk and Text". This ID pack actually has the ICS launcher. Note that you have to be on Sprint's network to download ID packs, not wi-fi! It takes a few minutes over 3G, but after it downloads, install it. You'll noticed some new apps on your phone.
    7)Connected to my home wifi and Re-added my Google accounts
    8)In the Google Play store, go to settings and uncheck the "Auto add widgets" option. This seemed to be part of the problem.
    9)Downloaded all the apps I had before. I went online and signed into play.google.com/store to download them. It's quicker this way. You can delete the apps that came with the ID pack you downloaded if you don't want them.
    10) Connected to Kies and restored my messages and call records.

I did this earlier today, and so far NO sightings of the error message. Hopefully this did the trick. My phone is actually running smoother now too, which is a plus. Go ahead and try it, and share your results. I'll keep you all posted!

Default Re: Samsung Epic 4G Touch -"Sprint ID has Stopped" FIXED!

Two questions:
    1) Did you have to restore all the stuff you backed up in step 1?
    2) What apps came as part of the ID pack that you mentioned in step 9?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScottMGS View Post
    Two questions:
    1) Did you have to restore all the stuff you backed up in step 1?
    2) What apps came as part of the ID pack that you mentioned in step 9?
    No, I didn't HAVE to. I just had like 20 text message threads I wanted to keep, and I wanted to keep my call history. If you dont care about losing your texts, then you can skip that.
    In that "Talk & Text" ID pack, I cant quite remember because I deleted them so quickly. I know for sure it had Tweetcaster, and I think Babbler. Also it came with some other voicemail application.
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

Babbler wasnt one, sorry. It was the app called Whatsapp
    Last edited by zackmack7; 01-27-2013 at 09:58 AM.

I did the leaked jellybean install... had Sprint replace my swollen battery as I was getting severe drops in Barry percentage, and random screen flicker, then out would shut off.

The only thing that severely drains my battery now is poor cell signal... when I'm in an area where my phones terrible antenna can't even grab one bar on 3g my battery drops like bricks in water...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

The below solution worked for me. Didn't have the disappearing icons as mentioned below. Definitely much easier than performing a hard reset...

Originally Posted by bill9999 - xda-developers forum:

I was able to get my wife's phones sprint id to stop crashing by switching launchers temporarly. She was using the ICS launcher. I went into apps /all /launcher unchecked use by default and did a force stop. when I exited a box poped up asking what I wanted to use to preform this action. I picked TW Launcher. The errors went away after that. I can even go into Sprint ID and add ID's or switch back to the ICS launcher and haven't seen the error again. She did have to reset up her desktops as most of the icons disapeared for some reason.
    zackmack7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by j518 View Post
    I went into apps /all /launcher unchecked use by default and did a force stop. when I exited a box poped up asking what I wanted to use to preform this action. I picked TW Launcher. The errors went away after that. I can even go into Sprint ID and add ID's or switch back to the ICS launcher and haven't seen the error again. She did have to reset up her desktops as most of the icons disapeared for some reason.
    OMG! THANK YOU! My desktop being something completely different is what was bothering me. I spent a lot of time optimizing my home screens for the stuff I do, which isn't the standard stuff.

THANK YOU very much for this solution. The launcher is all that was switched on my phone. Apparently, I had never opened Sprint ID before, and I've had the phone for over a year, and I would periodically get the 'stopped' error. When I accidentally clicked on it (Sprint ID app) to figure out why it was crashing, it tried to set up a new home screen and all that, which I didn't want to do, but then I couldn't get back to my old stuff and I had a real hard time getting stuff done today! I kinda feel like Sprint owes me for my lost productivity. It was their fault, their app broke my phone and made it unusable.

All I needed to do was switch back to TwLauncher - in my case, all my widgets and icons came back the way they were.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    98 Global Posts

That makes sense. I might have tried that a few months ago, but it didnt work for me. But yes, thats def easier! :thumbup:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums
    More than likely posted via the AC app on either my Nexus 7 or my T-Mobile Nexus 5

I been stugling with the damn notification too. I discovered this. Notification pops up, i scroll the menu down, i hold pressed the notification, a menu of " app info" appeared, click on it, then press clear data, uncheck receive notifications, and press stop app, bye bye for good