Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Default Re: Sprint pushing FL24

Anyone know how this affects rooted phones? Always say "never OTA with root".

(clockwork mod 5.0.2.7 & FI27. Honestly I rooted a while back and once I found a set up that I liked, I haven't messed w/ it. Since then I rooted my A500, and a DroidX, and now my memory is clouded on the details on my epic touch)

Still wont apply. Could it be due to root and ota? And if so will sprint store update it with it being rooted?(which means i need to uninstall wifi )

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

I apologize if this question is misplaced, but I have been running the GA10 leak (unrooted) for a few weeks, and I was wondering if I will still be able to receive the OTA/Kies update to Jellybean when Sprint releases their official update.

- - - Updated - - -

I apologize if this question is misplaced, but I have been running the GA10 leak (unrooted) for a few weeks, and I was wondering if I will still be able to receive the OTA/Kies update to Jellybean when Sprint releases their official update.

How do I find out if I have FL24?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

Oops wrong thread lol. Didn't notice it was for a different phone than I have lol

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Android Central Forums

I got the FL24 update this morning, so far so good.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

It is my understanding that FL24 is for stock only. If you are rooted and have made any modifications, you will not receive OTA. I also understand that Sprint will not update if you are rooted.

Please check in the appropriate root thread to find out how to return to stock to get the update.

ROM
    SGS2= Rooted FF18

Hmmm...I have tried to "force" the update per the above listed process, but the only thing that occurs is I get a message "Session in progress" and then it just sits there......nothing happens. I check it with KIES and it says that I have the latest software (FI27). Ideas? I am not rooted or modded...anymore..the last OTA unrooted me and I never bothered to re-root.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

I haven't been too successful with forcing either. Check out this thread at XDA for the .zip.

So far FL24 has not improved battery life (unable to get much over 14 hours). New tonight a very hot battery. I have never had this happen before so assume It is tied to the update. Hope I get JB soon.

Just received FL24 ota. We shall see what we shall see.

Most are news watchers, others are news makers.

Had to pull the battery this morning as my phone went nuts. Went from 100% charge down to 83% in about 5 min. Also started getting hot again. When I go to settings to check what is using battery it changes every time I look. Right now it shows the screen as number 1 at 21%. Usually Android system is #1. I think I will run out to the Sprint store and see what they have to say.

Gadd awwmighty! Battery down to 35% before noon. Listened to several songs, no texts, read a couple of emails, downloaded 2 apps. Sure there is an adjustment period but this is truly different! Factory Reset may be in order.

kb64 likes this.

ROM
    Jelly Bean

Best to do a factory reset after installing any updates. I'm still waiting to get the update....sigh.....
    Thanked by:
    kb64 
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

I found that the Sprint Connection Optimizer was killing my battery, so I turned it off. Give that a try. You might also want to check the battery for bulging.

To turn off the Optimizer, go to settings, mobile networks, connections optimizer, uncheck Sprint Connections Optimizer.

Went out to the Sprint store yesterday and the tech said this latest update has caused all kinds of problems. She did a factory reset and flashed the update and so far working fine. She told me if it acts up again she will order me a new phone. fingers are crossed.

ROM
    Jelly Bean

Quote Originally Posted by kb64 View Post
    Went out to the Sprint store yesterday and the tech said this latest update has caused all kinds of problems. She did a factory reset and flashed the update and so far working fine. She told me if it acts up again she will order me a new phone. fingers are crossed.

Just FYI Sprint will not give you a new phone, they'll get a refurbished one from Samsung. I had probs with one of the earlier updates and it screwed up the phone badly. Sprint told me they only replace with refurbished phone from Samsung. I believe that's part of the insurance plan if you have one.

Quote Originally Posted by kb64 View Post
    She told me if it acts up again she will order me a new phone. fingers are crossed.
    Better off if you uncross your fingers and pray!

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

Finally got it.
    So the things I noticed are:
    1. Very very slight battery life improvement. It wasn't as bad as it used to be, for the reason below.
    2. Connections Optimizer - this thing was slighty annoying at first because I didnt know why my 4G or Wifi would trurn on randomly. But I guess this is a decent feature, it might acually help battery life.
    3. Smoother UI and just whipping through menus is easier.

Other than that, I don't really see anything different. Besides preparing us for Jelly Bean, what does this update actually do?

I see they still can't get it right almost a year later. So glad I'm still rocking GB. Oh and to the person hoping to get their phone replaced. Good luck with that. I got mine replaced and it's a refurb. It's got all kinds of glitches. I'm so done with Sprint and their half a$$ updates. Leaving when my contract is up.

ROM
    Jelly Bean

Got the update a few days ago. I have to admit the battery life has improved a bit more. Installed the update then did a factory reset & then pulled the battery. No issues so far as I can tell.

Did it clear you data at all?

ROM
    Jelly Bean

Quote Originally Posted by retzcat View Post
    Did it clear you data at all?
    I cleared everything.....I removed my micro SD card before I did the update....I didn't reinstall it until after I did the factory reset....My contacts are saved in Google acct. so all I had to do was set ph to sync to google acct. to get my contacts back on phone.....if you got pictures on your phone just back them up to micro SD card or to your computer.....my pictures saved to phone weren't deleted after the update and factory reset....I just wanted to be safe and backed up pictures/wallpapers to micro SD card just in case.....

It has been a week now and my phone is working very well. Battery use is pretty good and the phone works very smoothly. I am using it a lot more as my old laptop went belly up. I have no complaints now and I am happy with this phone, and the service from sprint.

ROM
    SGS2= Rooted FF18

Well, FL24 just got pushed onto me this morning. Uploaded and "upgraded" ok...fairly quickly actually. I will advise how it performes over teh next few days. So far, uneventful
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast